U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,409,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you knew anything about our background you would know how closely we follow politics. I will leave it at that.

NIta
TRANSLATION:
"We never miss Hannity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM

20,017 posts, read 15,722,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Ron Paul supporters, here's the million dollar question for you all. If Obama had done the same thing over a long period of time, would you be saying, "It's okay, he's answered it over and over again already."?
If Obama supported Austrian styled economics instead of FDR "be like a monkey and throw s**t furiously at the wall and see what sticks" styled economics and was actually anti-war, anti-WoD, anti-Patriot Act, anti-Gitmo, anti-indefinite detention, yes I would vehemently defend him on this.

(In before lame-a** attempts at using the race card based on my FDR/monkey analogy)

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM

12,770 posts, read 9,836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Ron Paul might get frustrated with answering the same questions over and over again. That's life in the presidential race. I'm sure Mitt Romney wishes people would stop bugging him about abortion and same-sex marriage issues, both of which he has disavowed in the strongest possible terms he could. Newt Gingrich no doubt wishes that his affairs and subsequent divorces would stop coming up, but those events will continue to haunt him as long as he is a politician. And there is a TON more problems with Gingrich's record as a congressman than people realize. Mitt and Newt are going to get drilled on those things over and over and over and over again.

Those sorts of problems and question don't stop just because you wish them to. I don't hold Ron Paul accountable for the letters. I accept his explanation. I think he has the right idea on most of the issues. But this interview creates an entirely new problem for Dr Paul: Can he keep his cool when pressured? He's going to experience a LOT more pressure than that if he is the Republican nominee. If he can't handle the pressure he won't beat Obama, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, the office of President of the United States does not necessarily go to the best man. It generally goes to the best showman and salesman who can win the crowd over for his cause. Dr Paul better get thicker skin and quick!
Dr. Paul is not going against Obama, he is going against the system controlled by both democrats and republicans, plus all the forces of the New World Order. You cannnot imagine the pressures being put upon him and the threats he and his family are enduring. The man is rock solid.
With 35 years of experience inside our gov't, 3 best selling books, and plans on how to restore our Republic, all they want to talk about is what somebody else wrote under his label. Asked and answered, move on to the issues.

I just hope he has a food taster.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Ron Paul might get frustrated with answering the same questions over and over again. That's life in the presidential race. I'm sure Mitt Romney wishes people would stop bugging him about abortion and same-sex marriage issues, both of which he has disavowed in the strongest possible terms he could. Newt Gingrich no doubt wishes that his affairs and subsequent divorces would stop coming up, but those events will continue to haunt him as long as he is a politician. And there is a TON more problems with Gingrich's record as a congressman than people realize. Mitt and Newt are going to get drilled on those things over and over and over and over again.

Those sorts of problems and question don't stop just because you wish them to. I don't hold Ron Paul accountable for the letters. I accept his explanation. I think he has the right idea on most of the issues. But this interview creates an entirely new problem for Dr Paul: Can he keep his cool when pressured? He's going to experience a LOT more pressure than that if he is the Republican nominee. If he can't handle the pressure he won't beat Obama, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, the office of President of the United States does not necessarily go to the best man. It generally goes to the best showman and salesman who can win the crowd over for his cause. Dr Paul better get thicker skin and quick!
Romney cannot do it because he has the stereotype of a polished politician whose ideology shifts with the tide. That is his MO. Paul's platform is a take "no crap from anyone" straight shooter. Paul can walk out of interviews more successfully than Romney because that position is consistent with his platform, provided he does it in a context such as this. Romney cannot use it because it would be inconsistent with his strategy. Sorry, I don't make the rules and life's not fair, deal with it.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I don't see what the issue is. He did NOT write them, anyone who has worked with him, D or R doesn't believe he wrote them, and people who have studied them came to the conclusion that the wording does not match how he talks. He has said several times that he did not write the letters, but he takes full responsibility for them. He could have lied like any other politician would have and said he knew nothing about them, but he manned up and took responsibility. Case closed. It's a smear campaign because the powers that be know that many voters will vote off minimal information, biased peoples' opinions, and catchy slogans because they're too lazy to do their own research, check backrounds or voting records. Obama is a perfect example of that. But this is all they have, so they're going to milk it for all it's worth.
The media doesn't need to prove that Ron Paul did anything wrong. They don't have to prove that he's a racist. All they have to do is catch him acting "un-Presidential." I'm disgusted by CNN here, but not terribly surprised. That is the game that has been built around Presidential races. If you run for President, you have to learn to take it and turn the subject matter on it's head.

Ever notice that politicians seldom answer the question that was asked? Ever notice how they can spin things around when a difficult subject matter comes up? Ron Paul is just a very genuine person, so he's not good at that part of the game. So he's going to have to get good at making anyone asking the question sounds stupid for asking. At minimum, learn to answer the question in a way that makes those continuing to dig look silly.

Mitt Romney can be completely consistent on abortion, gay marriage and every political issue for the rest of his career and he'll still be pestered and harrassed till the end of time for being a flip-flopper. Rick Perry will never live down the "I forgot the third department I would cut" moment in this lifetime. If Perry ever gets back in the lead, we're sure to hear a lot about his propensity for hopping from one political party to the other, depending on which party affiliation could do the most to advance his political career. It won't matter how purely Republican he is today. Newt Gingrich might genuinely be a changed man, but everyone will always remember him as a two time scumbag adulterer and a hypocrite. Every wrong move Newt ever made as Speaker and as Congressman is free game for opponents and members of the media to attack.

The letters might be the only dirt they have on Dr Paul right now, but that doesn't mean they won't beat the issue to death, so you'd better get used to it. Dr Paul walking away in this case is like blood in the water in shark infested waters. Now CNN and other media know they got to Dr Paul so now they're going to get a lot nastier.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 12-22-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The media doesn't need to prove that Ron Paul did anything wrong. They don't have to prove that he's a racist. All they have to do is catch him acting "un-Presidential." I'm disgusted by CNN here, but terribly surprised. That is the game that has been built around Presidential races. If you run for President, you have to learn to take it and turn the subject matter on it's head.

Ever notice that politicians seldom answer the question that was asked? Ever notice how they can spin things around when a difficult subject matter comes up? Ron Paul is just a very genuine person, so he's not good at that part of the game. So he's going to have to get good at making anyone asking the question sounds stupid for asking. At minimum, learn to answer the question in a way that makes those continuing to dig look silly.

Mitt Romney can be completely consistent on abortion, gay marriage and every political issue for the rest of his career and he'll still be pestered and harrassed till the end of time for being a flip-flopper. Rick Perry will never live down the "I forgot the third department I would cut" moment in this lifetime. If Perry ever gets back in the lead, we're sure to hear a lot about his propensity for hopping from one political party to the other, depending on which party affiliation could do the most to advance his political career. It won't matter how purely Republican he is today. Newt Gingrich might genuinely be a changed man, but everyone will always remember him as a two time scumbag adulterer and a hypocrite. Every wrong move Newt ever made as Speaker and as Congressman is free game for opponents and members of the media to attack.

The letters might be the only dirt they have on Dr Paul right now, but that doesn't mean they won't beat the issue to death, so you'd better get used to it. Dr Paul walking away in this case is like blood in the water in shark infested waters. Now CNN and other media know they got to Dr Paul so now they're going to get a lot nastier.
You'd be surprised how many people secretly agree, both conservatives and liberals, with the spirit of the newsletters. Maybe it was the footage showing the LA truck driver getting his skull caved in with a brick...whatever. The content cleverly towed the line to avoid any sort of direct racism and combined with the fact this is a post-2008 economy (akin to the analogy this is a post-9/11 world), these are trivial matters that would have more punch during the 90's when people were fully employed and living larger. Not as much in today's double digit unemployment world.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,586,137 times
Yeah, even more than Paul's "positions", that's the thing that turns me off about him the most, is the type of "supporters" he seems to attract! And though I'm not of the "evangelical" persuasion, have always been fond of this quote from Matthew 7:16, "wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." No puns intended.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, even more than Paul's "positions", that's the thing that turns me off about him the most, is the type of "supporters" he seems to attract! And though I'm not of the "evangelical" persuasion, have always been fond of this quote from Matthew 7:16, "wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." No puns intended.
Because his supporters would be right there with him in Oval Office, sort of like stuffing them in a clown car, right? Well, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense to only support a candidate based on "normal" supporters.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM

127 posts, read 66,553 times
CNN has been constantly trying to portray Ron Paul as being anti-Israel. He's too smart to let them do that.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I follow politics pretty closely as does my husband and neither of us were aware of this until the past few days. I think, the only ones that find this old news are his supporters. His campaign was dead before it began in past elections so it wasn't an issue. This time it is on life support, but not dead yet.

Nita

KickAss, yesterday you tried to educate a few people you claim, has it occurred to you, it isn't your place to try and educate people who feel differently than you. Did they ask for your help?
Well you would be wrong. I was not a supporter of his the first time I heard about these letters.

I didn't hear about them 20 years ago but I did hear about them years ago. I wasn't a supporter of Ron Paul until this year when I finally decided to really look in to his record, look in to what he has said in the past, look in to what he stands for.

I knew the basics, as well as the lies, and some of those lies I believed and that is why I did not support Paul before...just like those now who believe the lies...I've been there. I KNOW what they are thinking because I thought the same things.

But I did hear about those letters LONG before I ever supported him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or