U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,403,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
So, the candidate who has the most dedicated supporters, the best organization and is in first place in Iowa with less than 2 weeks till the causus "more than likely won't win"? Whatever you say, Fox.
'Fox'? Is that the best you've got? You think that just because someone dares to point out to you the folly of your "Paul is very likely to win IA and NH" claim I must be a Fox watcher? Actually, I'm just a liberal who can read polls and understands history-- and doesn't watch Fox, except when it happens to be on when I walk into the breakroom at work. What a silly, baseless assumption on your part. The reality is that I'd love to see a Paul nomination. Where you and I part is that I am able to differentiate my wants from reality.

OK, your laughably incorrect asssumption about me aside, who had the most dedicated supporters in 2008? How'd that translate in Iowa?

Quote:
I know it will be an uphill battle in NH and the Iowa winner does not always go on to win the nomination but winning Iowa will force people to research Ron Paul (as well as the other candidates) and rethink their choice.
So it will be an "uphill battle" but he's "very likely" to win both states?

And 40% of the time is decidedly less than your "not always" spin.

Quote:
And it isnt like Paul has no shot in New Hampshire, the "live free or die" state. The polls I've seen show Romney at 35% in NH and Paul at 21%.
Yep. You keep telling yourself that New England Republicans are going to favor Paul over the guy with a consistent double-digit lead over him. Those "live free or die" folks who voted for John McCain the last two times there was a competitive race in New Hampshire? (2000 and 2008, the 2004 nomination being uncontested) Yeah, how could I ever believe those "live free or die" folks who voted for McCain twice could ever support Romney over Paul! Silly me ...

[/quote]WOW! New Hampshire: Ron Paul 21% Pulls Ahead Of Gingrich 16%! | Ron Paul 2012 | Peace . Gold . Liberty
Ron Paul banks on Iowa to boost N.H. chances - BostonHerald.com
Ron Paul | Iowa Caucuses | New Hampshire Primary | The Daily Caller

Revolutions don't happen overnight.[/quote]

Finally, as for your claim that winning Iowa will boost Paul in NH -- when has that ever happened? There have been five open GOP nominations since the advent of the modern primary/caucus system in the early 1970s.

1980 - Bush wins IA, Reagan wins NH
1988 - Dole wins IA, Bush wins NH
1996 - Dole wins IA, Buchanan wins NH
2000 - Bush wins IA, McCain wins NH
2008 - Huckabee wins IA, McCain wins NH

That's right -- in open nomination races like we're in now, IA winners are 0-5 in NH.

History can be your friend if you're willing to open your eyes and learn from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 AM

10,487 posts, read 6,183,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm not sure if there is an actual "endorsement" per se but it is usually VERY clear, especially on Fox "News" who they want the viewer to vote for.
Interesting. No official endorsement, yet everyone talks about endorsement. Interesting thread.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,354,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
'Fox'? Is that the best you've got? You think that just because someone dares to point out to you the folly of your "Paul is very likely to win IA and NH" claim I must be a Fox watcher? Actually, I'm just a liberal who can read polls and understands history-- and doesn't watch Fox, except when it happens to be on when I walk into the breakroom at work. What a silly, baseless assumption on your part. The reality is that I'd love to see a Paul nomination. Where you and I part is that I am able to differentiate my wants from reality.

OK, your laughably incorrect asssumption about me aside, who had the most dedicated supporters in 2008? How'd that translate in Iowa?
It isn't just Fox. CNN, MSNBC and all MSM are attacking Paul, Fox is just the most blatant.

Obama had the most dedicated supporters in 2008 (I was one) and went on to win the Iowa caucus. In fact, I see a lot of similarities between Obama's grassroots campaign in 2008 and Ron Paul's today.

Quote:
Yep. You keep telling yourself that New England Republicans are going to favor Paul over the guy with a consistent double-digit lead over him. Those "live free or die" folks who voted for John McCain the last two times there was a competitive race in New Hampshire? (2000 and 2008, the 2004 nomination being uncontested) Yeah, how could I ever believe those "live free or die" folks who voted for McCain twice could ever support Romney over Paul! Silly me ...

Finally, as for your claim that winning Iowa will boost Paul in NH -- when has that ever happened? There have been five open GOP nominations since the advent of the modern primary/caucus system in the early 1970s.

1980 - Bush wins IA, Reagan wins NH
1988 - Dole wins IA, Bush wins NH
1996 - Dole wins IA, Buchanan wins NH
2000 - Bush wins IA, McCain wins NH
2008 - Huckabee wins IA, McCain wins NH

That's right -- in open nomination races like we're in now, IA winners are 0-5 in NH.

History can be your friend if you're willing to open your eyes and learn from it.
I may be overtly optimistic but Ron Paul is VERY different than any candidate in recent memory. If he wins Iowa, there is no telling what will happen. When people research his policies and realize that it will no longer be a "waste of a vote" to not vote for the lesser of two evils I see his momentum continuing to build as it does each day.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM

71,728 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Excuse my ignorance: I did not know that a major news network like Fox actually endorsed presidential candidates. Of course, I grew up in a time when you had three (3) networks, and they never, to my knowledge, 'endorsed' anyone.

How is it done? For instance, for 2008, I assume that Fox 'endorsed' Senator McCain? Did a person (Murdock, whoever) appear on the air at an appointed time and say "We, Fox News, endorse thee, Senator McCain"?

Any information would be appreciated.
of course you are right, FOX will not endorse anyone regardless. In fact most of the contriubutors will not. They will let us know thier opinion, which is fine, but directly endorse, probably not (most I am saying, not all)

Nita

Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,738,597 times
Quote:

Oh, OK -- one poll (not compiled @ the RealClearPolitics list -- guess they're part of the anti-Paul cabal, huh?) that's three months old showed Paul with a narrow lead ... woo-woo, Paul must be measuring the White House drapes!).

PS - what's up with a 51-49 poll? No undecideds whatsoever? Uh huh ... sure ...
There are other polls that show Paul winning, but you decided not to do any research before posting garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or