Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:23 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times

Advertisements

It's a curious calculation -- major party nominees routinely release their tax returns. If John "I can't remember how many houses I own" McCain didn't suffer from releasing his, it's hard to see why tax returns could really be a problem for anyone. I mean, it's not like Romney has some sort of Common Man image that could be tarnished -- everyone already knows he's a rich, patrician type. Buying a ranch and clearing brush just won't work for Romney. Sometimes, you just can't run from who you are and have to work within those confines. So I don't see the issue with releasing his tax returns.

But what's curious is this -- Romney, or at least his advisors, have decided that revealing those tax returns would be more damaging that not releasing them and dealing with the logically inevitable "'why won't he release them?" meme that is sure to follow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is nothing unusual about still making money off investments you made or ventures you were responsible for developing. That is why you do it to begin with.

I doubt the Democrats will want to push this issue of releasing tax returns, etc. Mitt Romney's charitable giving is probably unprecedented by any other candidate. It will make Obama's look sick, even based on percentage of annual income.

The man gave away all of his inheritance and took no salary as governor of Massachusetts or when he ran the Olympics. As a matter of fact he gave the Olympics $1 million dollars. He does not plan on taking a salary as president either. This is not a greedy person...just a very successful one.
Hilarious!

Mitt Romney is doing Obama a favor by not releasing his tax returns!

Thanks! This bit of laughable spin actually did make me laugh!

(you're one of those supporters who just doesn't know when it's time to bite your tongue and not say something so ridiculous that it hurts, rather than helps, your revered candidate)

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
His voting record? You're going to need a watch and a calendar for that. He's been for and against everything at one time or another.

But this guy has secrets. You watch.

Mitt Romney is the most squeeky-clean decent man ever to run for office. There will be no "secrets" revealed.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Perhaps he is using 0-blamea logic. Not required by law, so sc*** anyone who wants to see them. Seems to be working for the big zero.
In the real world -- not in that warped, paranoid, reality-free universe you inhabit -- you can download and peruse President Obama's tax returns for any/all of the last ten years:

Tax History Project: Presidential Tax Returns

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who cares? I'm more about his actions in the past and how he will likely vote on the issues.

"What's he hiding"...Is just pure political B.S rhetoric.
I agree with you, but I do think he should release them, if for no other reason than to end the issue. I care more about what a candidate stands for and how his/her views match mine. I don't care who they slept with 20 years ago, I don't care if they are worth a billion bucks or dirt poor and I don't really even care how they voted on some issues years ago. We all can and do change our minds if we are growing and maturing, but it would be a good idea if he did let everyone know what he is worth and how much he paid in taxes.

Nita

Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Hilarious!

Mitt Romney is doing Obama a favor by not releasing his tax returns!

Thanks! This bit of laughable spin actually did make me laugh!

(you're one of those supporters who just doesn't know when it's time to bite your tongue and not say something so ridiculous that it hurts, rather than helps, your revered candidate)

It's just something they might want to think about before making an issue over this. Of course, they think their class warfare mumbo jumbo works on everyone. It does on a good percentage of their voters, not so much on Republicans. It will backfire on them and actually by not releasing them, his campaign might be playing them a little. Believe me, on here I bite my tongue or typing fingers daily, because I could say sooo much more about a lot of the drivel that gets spouted. For people who don't know of the actual life Mitt Romney has lived and only go off of the media soundbites and the propoganda...maybe you think there is somehthing nefarious here. For those of us who have delved deeper and know better...it's laughable that this man would be hiding something on a tax return. I would dare say he is one of the most honest people who has ever ran for president.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
...it's laughable that this man would be hiding something on a tax return. I would dare say he is one of the most honest people who has ever ran for president.
And yet he won't release them. Curious, for such an "honest" man.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And yet he won't release them. Curious, for such an "honest" man.
And curious that he requested to destroy 150 boxes of records, replaced the computers and had the hard drives removed and purchased when he left as governor of Massachusetts. Being such an "honest" man.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
In the real world -- not in that warped, paranoid, reality-free universe you inhabit -- you can download and peruse President Obama's tax returns for any/all of the last ten years:

Tax History Project: Presidential Tax Returns
Not surprisingly, not even close to my comment. What has 0-blamea revealed on the questions most asked? You know, birth certificate and college transcripts? Qualifications?

So it would seem that YOU are a member of that universe you describe so intimately.

Remember, or at least try to understand the statement that I made.

Maybe Romney will release his records when 0-blamea releases his.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
He is hoping to sucker as many working stiffs to vote for him. They would probably be stunned by the wealthy he has.

Last edited by buzzards27; 12-23-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections