Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Santorum is not evangelical. He is a Catholic and for some folks...especially the ones who 'would never vote for a Mormon' that is one step removed from a Mormon but slightly more acceptable....only slightly in a last resort sort of way.
This is exactly my experience with Southern Baptists. Like you said its a certain percentage, but those who cant vote Mormon probably cant vote Catholic either. I had one pastor in training tell me neither were Christian. Absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This is exactly my experience with Southern Baptists. Like you said its a certain percentage, but those who cant vote Mormon probably cant vote Catholic either. I had one pastor in training tell me neither were Christian. Absurd.
Hey, our grandson in laws mother told him we were not even Christians because as Episcopalians our creeds said "one Catholic and Apastalic" chuch. Because we said the Catholic we were not Christians. I will add, 1-we are not Epsicopalians anymore (not for that reason) and 2-regardless of his upbringing or even his mothers, both will still vote Romney if he gets the nomination and she is a southern Baptist..I do think his religion will affect some people, but many of them, the ones that are truely evengilical will vote for him over Obama.

Nita

Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
I'm always suspicious when the story doesn't include a link to the actual poll so here it is:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im.../topstate3.pdf

Ron Paul is within the margin of error 4.5% of Mitt Romney.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 PM

46,743 posts, read 25,661,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Gotta luv this one sentence in the article on so many level....
"Santorum's strong standing is a blow to the fortunes of Paul"
He came from behind?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Looks like Santorum is the final pre-Iowa not-Romney.

That's really scraping the bottom of the barrel there!
lets see what happens in 72 hours. Right now, these polls are changing by the hour.

Nita

Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm always suspicious when the story doesn't include a link to the actual poll so here it is:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im.../topstate3.pdf

Ron Paul is within the margin of error 4.5% of Mitt Romney.

The article clearly states Ron Paul's standing in the poll. There is nothing left out intentionally or for any nefarious reason.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 AM

22,092 posts, read 19,296,640 times
Quote:
The evangelical base would prefer one of their own. Santorum does have the family/ social values down. However, I think some of the leadership in the evangelical political wing is extremely confused lately also. Several of them have endorsed Newt Gingrich who absolutley does not embody what they preach...go figure.

That bigot Steve Deace...Mr. 'nobody is consevative enough or Christian enough for me' endorsed Gingrich today. What a hypocrite and phony! I don't trust people who mix religion and politics or use one for the other.
Well Romney is certainly trying to mix religion and politics with wanting a Constitutional Amendment to ban same-sex marriage, reinstating DADT. As I said he isn't the hell fire and brimstone guy Santorum is, but Romney is quite clear on having his personal religious beliefs impact policy just like much of the rest of the clown car circus that is involved in the Primary.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,968,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well Romney is certainly trying to mix religion and politics with wanting a Constitutional Amendment to ban same-sex marriage, reinstating DADT. As I said he isn't the hell fire and brimstone guy Santorum is, but Romney is quite clear on having his personal religious beliefs impact policy just like much of the rest of the clown car circus that is involved in the Primary.
It's always amusing to see all these candidates touting their support for things that:

a) Presidents play no role (such as constitutional amendments), and
b) things that have no chance whatsoever of ever happening (like reimplenting DADT, the repeal of which passed massively in the Senate by a 65-31 vote)

Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

That is not necessarily a religious position. There are people who are not all that religious who take that position.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM

22,092 posts, read 19,296,640 times
Quote:
That is not necessarily a religious position. There are people who are not all that religious who take that position.
And name someone who wants to AMEND the CONSTITUTION to ban same-sex marriage whose position is not religious based??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections