Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul appears poised for a strong showing in next week’s Iowa caucuses, but as for his chance of ultimately winning the GOP nomination, rival Newt Gingrich confidently declares: “It won’t happen.”

In an exclusive interview taped for a Newsmax 2012 Campaign Special, the former House speaker dismisses Texas Congressman Paul as a “protest candidate.”

Editor's Note
: Watch the Newsmax 2012 Campaign Special with Michael Reagan — Go Here Now.

“You have somebody who is for the legalization of drugs, you have somebody who blames America for 9/11, you have somebody who doesn’t think it matters if Iran gets nuclear weapons, and seems totally unwilling to defend Israel, you have somebody who came out for basically the abolition of Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, and you have somebody who can’t defend and won’t take responsibility for his own newsletters even when they had very negative, very destructive things in them,” Gingrich says.

“Now, I think Ron Paul is terrific as a protest candidate. I mean you have to admire him. He has worked hard. I think he sincerely believes what he is saying and I think a lot of people are initially attracted to him because it sounds pure and it sounds clear but those folks haven’t looked at what he actually stands for.

“I don’t think the Republican Party — and Gary Johnson discovered this, the former governor of New Mexico — is going to nominate somebody who is for legalizing drugs. We’re not going to nominate somebody who thinks that it is okay for Iran to have nuclear weapons and we’re not going to nominate somebody who doesn’t care if Israel is wiped out.

“So I think when you really think about him as president, it’s not going to happen, which doesn’t mean in the short run that [he can’t do well] in a place like Iowa where there is a caucus. He has thousands of young people coming to help him because they want to legalize drugs. Well, that’s their prerogative. In a free society they can be for that and they’ll be formidable in a situation like Iowa.

“But in the long run, in primaries where we have lots of voters, I think the American people are going to repudiate that idea by an overwhelming margin.”

Read more on Newsmax.com: Gingrich Says Ron Paul Can’t Win Iowa, Calls Him a 'Protest Candidate'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
couldnt sit on his hands any longer, so much for the "clean campaign"

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
crybaby newts comments will help Paul.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
The same man who called Ron Paul supporters "Indecent".

Draft dodger, warmonger, serial cheater Gingrich. I have had enough of him. At least Mitt Romney keeps his mouth shut for the most part!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Like powerlines to Godzilla! or was it King Kong? it only made them stronger

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I don't like Gingrich and he has no chance either, but he is spot on in his assessment of Paul and his chances in the Republican party.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM

865 posts, read 676,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
At least Mitt Romney keeps his mouth shut for the most part!

LOL, Mitt just hides period. When you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.... and disappear.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times
I care about what Gingrich says... couldn't even finish the sentence when it started with a flat out lie.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

No doubt!

That was a campaign piece for Paul!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
There was similar lines in editorial in WSJ. Funniest quote was:

Quote:
The congressman named Ron Paul has served in the House off and on since the 1970s to no discernible effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections