Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times

Advertisements

Sick of it before it began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Question: why aren't primaries held at the same time in all states? Why drag it over so long? Also when elections in one state follow another, voters are influenced by prior results. Why not let everyone vote for who they think the best candidate is and get over that at once?
Did you consider that to be a legitimate question in 2008? Have you seen anybody say here that the primary season is used to vet candidates? I wonder why it didn't work that way in 2008 when the party and the media failed to vet Obama at all.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama started campaigning two years out from the election. I've said before I think 6-8 months before the election is plenty of time for both parties.
Its ridiculous. Having to campaign in 40 to 50 sates? Then repeating the same speech in multiple cities within each state? How many times do they have to go through the same stump speech like a broken record? They don't intend to keep a fraction of the empty promises they make anyway. There's no reason for it. It's a media spectacle. They hype it up in the same manner they endlessly hype celebrity news gossip on Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga.

Like I said, its designed to keep the corporate status quo in power because no one can afford to run these marathon campaigns without their backing.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Naw, it's all highly entertaining.

Republicans acting like idiots like always. Democrats acting like even bigger idiots.

Both sides desperately trying to put good faces on piles of steaming crap. Both Dems and Reps blaming each other for all the problems in the universe. President Obama blaming everything that went so horribly wrong in his first term on George W Bush and those big meanie Republicans in Congress who keep beating him up and stealing his lunch money.

The GOP "I'm the most conservative!" pissing contest is getting old and losing it's entertainment value pretty quickly now, but the sheer stupidity of it all has been loads of fun!

After Santorum gets blasted into oblivion for -- I'm not sure what yet but you know it's gonna be good -- then what? It's either go all-in for either Huntsman or Paul, or shut up and go with Romney. Or do you recycle bad garbage candidates?

The biggest bully in living Congressional history is currently pissed off and about to go all gansta on Mitt Romney. Everyone else is ready to blast the hell out of Rick Santorum. Mitt Romney will most likely continue to focus on blasting Barrack Obama.

Barack Obama has already accepted Romney as the Republican nominee and is returning fire with regularity. The Republicans are handling that notion that Romney is the inevitable candidate like a spoiled two year old throwing a crazy fit refusing to eat his vegetables.

The GOP and press are playing "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" trying like crazy to ignore and dismiss Ron Paul as irrelevant.

If the fate of this nation was not riding on the outcome of this ridiculous circus, we'd all be laughing our butts off!!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
These elections are a circus clown show.

Why do they drag on and on, like forever? Such a waste of time and money that could be better put to use elsewhere. One thing I definitely don't miss about living in the states. Elections up north are like only two months instead of two years!
yep, it really starts a few days after the general election. The media will start predicting who will nun 4 years down the road, by the mid terms people will start to indicate they are or are not running and those of us, political junkies will be posting here over and over!!!!!

Nita

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Usually I enjoy the process. I like the exchange of ideas, watching the strategy unfold, etc.

But with each passing election cycle its just been increasingly a sea of inane talking points and "hot button" psuedo-issues that have nothing to do with anything real. Even the Sunday morning talk shows are full of politicians and pundits alike spouting BS and "journalists" not calling them on it or asking any real follow up questions.

This time, we have seen the full on embrace of crazy into the political sphere. I mean really? People are serious with this stuff? Donald Trump, et al? This can't be life.

Lately all I've wanted is for Republicans to just go ahead and accept the inevitability of "Mitt Romney, Republican Presidential Nominee" and get on with it already. We all know where this is going. I don't even see the point of this sideshow anymore.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
It won't change because the media loves it and the politicians (despite what they say) love the media exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections