Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
If the Tea Party had stayed true just to its original idea of fiscal conservatism, it wouldn't have been bad at all, but ever since Tea Party was taken over by racists, gay bashers, warmongers and bible-thumpers, that started the decline. Fiscal conservatism does not matter to the Tea Party anymore.
The racists write Ron Paul's newsletters, and that happened long before the creation of the Tea Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The racists write Ron Paul's newsletters, and that happened long before the creation of the Tea Party.
Give yourself a reality check: Reality Check: The story behind the Ron Paul newsletters - FOX19 News and Weather - Greater Cincinnati Area

Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Why do you people keep saying that Paul is not going to get elected? Is it because someone else says so? If people simply voted on principle and their conscious, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Right now, there's a chance for Ron Paul. However, the more people keep saying that he's not going to win, people, being the sheep, non-thinkers that they are, by and large, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Something that is engineered by people who do not like Ron Paul.
No, I think people are saying Paul cannot win becuz he only has support of 5% to 10% nationally. He doesn't have the votes to win. It's the math.

Last edited by buzzards27; 01-05-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
No, I think people are saying Paul cannot win becuz he only has support of 5% to 10% nationally. He doesn't have the votes to win. It's the math.
Nationally, this is where things stand currently:
Romney = 27%
Gingrich = 19% and plummeting
Paul = 13% and climbing
Santorum = 11%
Perry = 6%
Huntsman = 2%

Once Gingrich finishes dropping like a rock and Santorum gets exposed as the timid little mouse that he is (wait for the next debate) Paul will likely settle into a consistent second place. Paul gains support, but is remarkably good at keeping the supporters he gains.

Obviously, the same cannot be said about anyone else except for probably Romney. We've all seen Perry, Cain and Gingrich soar to the sky, then crash and burn.

Now if you're a big believer in having everyone but Romney drop out of the race, then what you say might have some validity. But that's hardly a very democratic position to take. Why would you say that a consensus second place running (third at worst) candidate should drop out after only one state?

That is effectively what you are saying by advising his supporters to give up. Seems like a pretty stupid idea to me.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
funny you don't have santorum "soaring" like he is, doubling up in the last Rammussen poll. your problem is paul hasn't been climbing, either flat or down, down one in the same poll. take of those rose colored glasses.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

considering that that 13% is from the likely to vote republican and assuming a 50% split that equates to 6.5% national support Paul. Not overwhelming numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Nationally, this is where things stand currently:
Romney = 27%
Gingrich = 19% and plummeting
Paul = 13% and climbing
Santorum = 11%
Perry = 6%
Huntsman = 2%

Once Gingrich finishes dropping like a rock and Santorum gets exposed as the timid little mouse that he is (wait for the next debate) Paul will likely settle into a consistent second place. Paul gains support, but is remarkably good at keeping the supporters he gains.

Obviously, the same cannot be said about anyone else except for probably Romney. We've all seen Perry, Cain and Gingrich soar to the sky, then crash and burn.

Now if you're a big believer in having everyone but Romney drop out of the race, then what you say might have some validity. But that's hardly a very democratic position to take. Why would you say that a consensus second place running (third at worst) candidate should drop out after only one state?

That is effectively what you are saying by advising his supporters to give up. Seems like a pretty stupid idea to me.
never said paul should drop out, i don't expect he will, i figure he is like DENNIS and will stay in to effect the platform and convention, but as a serious candidate, even he doesn't believe that anymore.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
funny you don't have santorum "soaring" like he is, doubling up in the last Rammussen poll. your problem is paul hasn't been climbing, either flat or down, down one in the same poll. take of those rose colored glasses.
Slow climb yes. Flavor of the week instant front-runner climb? No.

Santorum? Seriously?? What the hell is wrong with Republicans???

You are right that I missed Santorum's surge there, so good catch.

Quote:
considering that that 13% is from the likely to vote republican and assuming a 50% split that equates to 6.5% national support Paul. Not overwhelming numbers.

never said paul should drop out, i don't expect he will, i figure he is like DENNIS and will stay in to effect the platform and convention, but as a serious candidate, even he doesn't believe that anymore.
Santorum is the flavor of the week ... and apparently nobody even took a taste test. He sucks!!

Once he drops like a rock, that's game, set, match to your "not Romney" psychotically conservative crowd. That leaves you three options:
1.) Mitt Romney
2.) Ron Paul
3.) Jon Huntsman

If the GOP circus wants to spin Paul or Huntsman as the next "not Romney" I'll bite! Huntsman always was the best candidate. He was my initial favorite. Ron Paul kinda won me over, but it's a coin toss between the two. Paul has a lot of good ideas that America isn't quite ready to hear. Huntsman is the best mainstream candidate by miles!

But at this point, I think the Republicans deserve Rick Santorum.

I just don't think America should be punished for their idiocy with four more years of Obama.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
But at this point, I think the Republicans deserve Rick Santorum.
I think the same. An utter defeat of Santorum in the general elections and 4 more years of Obama's dictatorship is just what is needed to make the Grand Oil Party eat some humble pie.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is sad but most conservatives would label you a RINO, an apostate, a traitor to the party.
Perhaps but, I believe I am just an average American. A face in the crowd that makes up the great silent majority. I am probably just like the 90% who never weigh in on forums like this. We just try to do the best we can, go to work every day and ive pretty quiet lives without hurting or disturbing others.

In a nutshell, inside right. This is really the soul and heart of America. This core is beset by the extremities of both sides. I don't want to see another term from this President any more than I want to see a Michelle Bachmann, Ron Paul or Pat Robertson type ascending the throne either.

Sooner or later we will get back to a place where the common sense will prevail, the majority will contribute, the government will be reduced, and we willget back to thebusiness of living.

During my lifetime, we have had Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, regan, Bush Senior, Clinton, Bush Jr, and Obama. When I look back I believethe one with theshortest tenure was probably the most sincere and Honest, Ford. Truly an ethical guy and even he had the very unpopular decision to pardon Nixon. At leas the guy was a sincere straight forward individual.

The worst? The current president. He has polarized this country more than Bush Jr could ever have hoped to have done even if given 2 more times. After that Carter was pretty ineffective but, not an evil individual. Nixon eas colorful and Johnson just got too many guys killed while trying to figure southeast asia out. Clinton was the most colorful of the Democrats. Made Kennedy look like a virgin.

I'm thinking we need a Lincoln type. Perhaps a little TR, Wilson, Truman, FDR, And even cool Calvin thrown in for kicks. Despite their collective quirks, they were pretty much focused on us. Lincoln for leadership against tough odds, TR foe defense and the quiet big stick, Wilson for his desire for peace albeit misguided and naiive, cool Calvin for his pro business and dry wit, FDR for the common man, Truman for his honesty and lack fanfare...he also did NOT hesitate to end the war with a bomb...not a democrat since had his courage.....

Now THAT is electable in anyone's party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections