Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Southern Baptist leader Richard Land told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell that social conservatives have been on the phone since the Iowa caucuses talking about how to get Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry to drop out before it is too late to stop Mitt Romney.
Land and other social conservatives will meet in Texas next weekend and reach out to Gingrich and Perry at some point about uniting behind Santorum before it is too late.
Land acknowledged, however, that it's unlikely either Gingrich or Perry will drop out before South Carolina votes on Jan. 21, which means any efforts to unite against Romney could come too late.
"If you took the vote that Santorum got, and you took the vote that Gingrich got and you took the vote that Perry got, and you took the vote that Michele Bachmann got, you would have outvoted Romney two to one in Iowa," Land said. "But because of the division among the conservative candidates, there is real concern that Romney will win without having to face one concentrated effort of a conservative challenger. And what I've heard over and over again is we don't want to make the same mistake this time that we made with (former Arkansas governor Mike) Huckabee in 2008."

Primary 2012: Divide and conquer | Concord Monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Southern Baptist leader Richard Land told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell that social conservatives have been on the phone since the Iowa caucuses talking about how to get Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry to drop out before it is too late to stop Mitt Romney.
Land and other social conservatives will meet in Texas next weekend and reach out to Gingrich and Perry at some point about uniting behind Santorum before it is too late.
Land acknowledged, however, that it's unlikely either Gingrich or Perry will drop out before South Carolina votes on Jan. 21, which means any efforts to unite against Romney could come too late.
"If you took the vote that Santorum got, and you took the vote that Gingrich got and you took the vote that Perry got, and you took the vote that Michele Bachmann got, you would have outvoted Romney two to one in Iowa," Land said. "But because of the division among the conservative candidates, there is real concern that Romney will win without having to face one concentrated effort of a conservative challenger. And what I've heard over and over again is we don't want to make the same mistake this time that we made with (former Arkansas governor Mike) Huckabee in 2008."

This Land man...a nosey, busy body....(read that in the Bible, Sir) seems like a real sorry human being. I've heard other junk he's spewed....and thought he seems like a fraud.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
This Land man...a nosey, busy body....(read that in the Bible, Sir) seems like a real sorry human being. I've heard other junk he's spewed....and thought he seems like a fraud.

Fraud is a good word for him.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
He picked the wrong guy. Santorum won't be the nominee.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Quote:

Of all the so-con candidates around whom the so-cons can coalesce, Frothy is probably the worst pick. That actually also show the bigotry of the so-cons in that they picked the most homophobic, ethnophobic, racist, hatred-filled warmonger of them all. This really is a reflection of the true nature of the bible-thumpers.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Of all the so-con candidates around whom the so-cons can coalesce, Frothy is probably the worst pick. That actually also show the bigotry of the so-cons in that they picked the most homophobic, ethnophobic, racist, hatred-filled warmonger of them all. This really is a reflection of the true nature of the bible-thumpers.
Not to mention that the biggest reason they won't admit to for doing it is to stop one of them "evil Mormons" from being the nominee. Adds another one to the list of people Rick hates for one reason or another.

It isn't worth gifting Obama 4 more years for it ... but the GOP deserves Rick Santorum. If they are insane enough to nominate him, I'll be laughing my butt off when he loses by the biggest land-slide since Reagan/Bush cycles. Frothy "the Substance" Santorum is a great find if you wanted an honest to goodness NUCKING FUTS "real" social conservative. Trick is, he's fiscally more of a liberal than anything.

Seriously ... the GOP needs to learn how bad of an idea this is. More conservative = not a good thing in the general election.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:

Why would he think all those voters would not vote for Mitt? I don't understand what conservative means anymore.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

371 posts, read 443,409 times
"Divide and conquer" has been going on since the dawn of mankind... I'm surprised to see it used in this context, however.

It's being used all across America, though: Liberals vs. Conservatives, Republicans vs. Democrats, Left vs. Right, Rich vs. Middle Class vs. Poor. We have more in common than most folks will admit, and that keeps us sparring with each other so much that we will likely never be able to pull ourselves together to save our country.

NSFW (language)

Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
The way this election is going is nothing I would have predicted. Santorum winning Iowa, hearing Limbaugh defending big gvt conservatism and sticking up for Santorum. And now this guy wanting Newt to drop out and get behind Santorum. This is like a neo con twilight zone

Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why would he think all those voters would not vote for Mitt? I don't understand what conservative means anymore.

I don't either and I thought I was one in most respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections