Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If Romney survives this, it takes the wind out the Democrats sails, because this was going to be one of their major attacks. From that standpoint, it's better that it happen now vs. next fall, but his ability to survive this is still the big question. I'm not a Newt fan AT ALL, but he's basing this on recent polling--national as well as probably doing some internal polling of his own--and he probably doesn't think he has anything left to lose. The PEW poll that just came out shows that concern over the wealth gap in this country is the highest it's been in the last quarter century--66% think it's a huge issue, despite the R attempts to paint the discussion as class warfare. I'm betting Newt is trying to make a dent in working class white voters. It's not a traditional R attack--that's for sure--but it may well be an effective one. We'll have to see how Romney responds.

Conflict between rich, poor strongest in 24 years | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2012/01/conflict-between-rich-poor-strongest-24-years/2085741 - broken link)
I think you severely underestimate what the Dems have in store for Romney. This issue, is simply a Newt effort to discredit Romney in the eyes to the easily gullible. Which is not a bad idea, I would like to see Newt or Perry or one of the other nuts as GOP candidate. Primarily because Romney has so much money to spend on his campaign. Will the Obama campaign take advantage of the Newt attacks on Romney, in someones immortal words, "you betcha".

Last edited by florida.bob; 01-12-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I gave Newt an earful via his website and I hope others do the same. If he had any chance he blew it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think you severely underestimate what the Dems have in store for Romney. This issue, is simply a Newt effort to discredit Romney in the eyes to the easily gullible. Which is not a bad idea, I would like to see Newt or Perry or one of the other nuts as GOP candidate. Primarily because Romney has so much money to spend on his campaign.

And you underestimate what we have in store for Obama and the Democrats. There is so much to use, it's hard to choose.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
There's no need to take it personally when someone makes fun of your dumb candidate. It's not a reflection on your poor decision-making skills if you fall for one used car salesman's shtick over another, honest. We all get taken for a ride at some point.

Further, as probably the only human being on Earth not directly on the Romney payroll (as far we know) who publicly supports the guy, your condescending attitude does reflect poorly on your candidate of choice. If you're hoping to sway the opinion of others, and why bother taking the time to post on an internet forum otherwise, it would behoove you to watch your tone in the future.

Is that some sort of threat? You obviously can dish but can't take it back. It might 'behoove' you to choose more carefully who you decide to trade insults with.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,924 times
Quote:
If Romney survives this, it takes the wind out the Democrats sails, because this was going to be one of their major attacks. From that standpoint, it's better that it happen now vs. next fall, but his ability to survive this is still the big question. I'm not a Newt fan AT ALL, but he's basing this on recent polling--national as well as probably doing some internal polling of his own--and he probably doesn't think he has anything left to lose. The PEW poll that just came out shows that concern over the wealth gap in this country is the highest it's been in the last quarter century--66% think it's a huge issue, despite the R attempts to paint the discussion as class warfare. I'm betting Newt is trying to make a dent in working class white voters. It's not a traditional R attack--that's for sure--but it may well be an effective one. We'll have to see how Romney responds.

Conflict between rich, poor strongest in 24 years | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2012/01/conflict-between-rich-poor-strongest-24-years/2085741 - broken link)
Regardless ...the GOP voters are not gonna turn back to Newt, nor Santorum...certainly not Ron Paul. So, after this 'smoke has cleared'...even if there's a small fire....it'll STILL be Romney ahead...and most likely the nominee.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Regardless ...the GOP voters are not gonna turn back to Newt, nor Santorum...certainly not Ron Paul. So, after this 'smoke has cleared'...if there's a small fire....it'll be Romney ahead...and most likely the nominee.
I think you're right, but I think Newt has this "I'm not going down without a fight" mentality where he really doesn't care if he does damage in the process. Like I said--the D's were going to use this argument anyway, so it's just happening sooner. I think Romney will still get the nomination, but the question is if it will send him into the general really weakened, or if he'll be able to respond to it adequately and shrug it off early.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The Newster is desperately fighting off becoming completely irrelevant.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
I'm getting a big kick that the GOP front-runner is actively campaigning for the support of vulture capitalism. Newt and the rest of the field attacking Romney for his evil practices at Bain Capital are doing it now because they know that if Romney is the GOP candidate we're going to hammer Romney for his evil past, so they might as well do it now to stop him.

This isn't an attack on capitalism. If you think it is you're wrong and drinking the Romney kool-aid. As a Democrat, I kinda hope Romney wins because I know highlighting Romney's record at Bain Capital will be enough to deny him a victory in the fall.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,924 times
Quote:
I think you're right, but I think Newt has this "I'm not going down without a fight" mentality where he really doesn't care if he does damage in the process. Like I said--the D's were going to use this argument anyway, so it's just happening sooner. I think Romney will still get the nomination, but the question is if it will send him into the general really weakened, or if he'll be able to respond to it adequately and shrug it off early.

You know...I'm being SERIOUSLY candid. If Romney gets the nod, from the GOP....after the Beating, we...and this country have taken these last 3 and more years, I can see Romney being literally carried across the finish line with a landslide...decisive Victory as the NEW President of these United States of America!!!

Last edited by quality guy; 01-12-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Yon know...I'm being SERIOUSLY candid. If Romney gets the nod, from the GOP....after the beating, we...and this country have taken these last 3 and more years, I can see Romney being literally carried across the finish line with a landslide...decisive Victory as the NEW President of these United States of America!!!
I think it's going to be a tight race--it depends on what the economy does over the next year, and we need to see what Mr. Paul does in terms of third party--he may be crazy enough to try it. I know some here don't want to hear it, but I don't think Romney is a real "fire up the base" kind of candidate, no matter how much someone hates Obama, and we'll have to see how he comes out of all of this with independent voters. Too many variables at this point to really make much of a prediction though, so I'm just watching and listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections