Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney is the only candidate a majority of both conservative and centrist Republican voters see as "acceptable," welcome news for the Republican front-runner headed into Tuesday's pivotal New Hampshire primary.
Romney was deemed acceptable by nearly six in 10 of both conservative and "moderate/liberal" Republicans, according to a new poll released by Gallup, the only candidate to poll that high in either group. Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum both cleared the 50 percent threshold among conservative voters, but only garnered 36 percent and 35 percent of centrist Republicans, respectively.
Ron Paul earned a similar number among centrists, but only 25 percent of conservative Republicans thought of the Texas congressman as acceptable — lower than any candidate aside from Jon Huntsman. Huntsman, perhaps surprisingly, considering his direct appeals to centrist voters, also polled lowest among more liberal Republicans, with only a quarter finding him acceptable.

Those numbers represent a 5 percent gain in "acceptability" for Romney among GOP voters and a more dramatic 18 percentage point leap for Santorum since the last time the poll was released, at the beginning of last month. Each of the remaining Republican candidates saw his numbers fall, with Gingrich's 16-point drop ranking as the worst in the field.

Romney's cross-spectrum appeal should help him as he hopes to quickly sew up the GOP nomination and focus efforts on the general election. But the numbers also betray a dissatisfaction with the GOP field. In a CBS survey also released Tuesday, nearly six in 10 Republicans say they wish they had more options in the 2012 race.

Poll: Romney only 'acceptable' candidate to majority of conservative, centrist Republicans - The Hill's Ballot Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
I saw that today, which is odd to me. Ron Paul and Hunstsman are more conservative, yet are less acceptable to conservatives. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Once again the Democrats are following the 2008 playbook step by step. (1) Convince Republican suckers to vote for an "electable" candidate, (2) Destroy said candidate in general election, (3) Democrat president get re-elected. Just ask Donna! :-)

I can post this just as many times as people can spawn new "electable" Romney threads :-)

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I saw that today, which is odd to me. Ron Paul and Hunstsman are more conservative, yet are less acceptable to conservatives. That doesn't make sense to me.
And I've heard conservatives call those two "liberal"

Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
An Independant moderate, i hate to break this all out to you but i think the democrats would love nothing but romney to be the gop candidate cuz they know that this candidate would make a good candidate being shot in the air, dems would have more to fear from the likes of huntsman.

They (dems) are just begging for romney to win the gop.

I feel romney is just singing the tune all gop wants to hear, but i also feel a LOT of gop voters are very, very unsure with a lot of the candidates.

I have a feeling Obama will get that second term. Imho

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Only Romney and Huntsman are "acceptable" candidates to this centrist Republican. This doesn't surprise me one bit, though Huntsman is more conservative than Romney. I guess most people just aren't familiar with him.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
An Independant moderate, i hate to break this all out to you but i think the democrats would love nothing but romney to be the gop candidate cuz they know that this candidate would make a good candidate being shot in the air, dems would have more to fear from the likes of huntsman.

They (dems) are just begging for romney to win the gop.

I feel romney is just singing the tune all gop wants to hear, but i also feel a LOT of gop voters are very, very unsure with a lot of the candidates.

I have a feeling Obama will get that second term. Imho
http://www.ology.com/politics/obama-...-poll/01102012 - Romney leads Obama by two points in this newly-released poll (and it is not Rasmussen). Obama only leads Paul by one point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...-swing-states/ - This poll was released in December and shows both Romney and Gingrich leading Obama in swing states. While I don't think Gingrich would still be leading, I see no reason why Romney wouldn't be.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-10-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Just goes to show that a majority of self identified conservatives, don't know what the term means.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Shocking CBS Poll: Obama 46, Paul 45 - Romney leads Obama in this newly-released poll.

Understand that all the spotlight is all on romney, he's the flavor of the month so this is Clearly expected!

Dems PR machine isnt even being played right now, so take that into consideration.

Independant votee numbers are growing all the time and if they had to make a choice given the onslaught that romney will recieve from the obama machine, i think it will be a done deal.

If huntsman gets the gop nominee? i wouldnt have a problem voting for this gop. Just my 2cents

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Understand that all the spotlight is all on romney, he's the flavor of the month so this is Clearly expected!
No he's not.

Quote:
Dems PR machine isnt even being played right now, so take that into consideration.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Independant votee numbers are growing all the time and if they had to make a choice given the onslaught that romney will recieve from the obama machine, i think it will be a done deal.
And think about the onslaught Obama will receive from the Romney machine. Think about how frustrated people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections