Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,134,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
(1) Republicans don't love any single candidate. If they did, that person would win the majority of the vote.

(2) In principle, the Tea Party should be anti-everyone in the race right now. All of them are either establishment (although how Mitt is the 'establishment' candidate is something I don't quite understand, and just because the media says so, doesn't make it a fact). I have said from Day 1 that the Tea Party should have their own party and stop trying to hang onto Republicans.

(3) In NH Mitt Romney won over the lower income group, as well as the higher income group. Secondly, many in the 'lower income group' also are in the 'young' group, which means that more likely support Ron Paul. If the argument is then that lower income voters are important, then the Republicans would be embracing Ron Paul.

(4) That is (almost) entirely false. In poll after poll against Obama, Romney attracts many independent voters. In fact, that is his main reason for statistically tying or beating Obama in the General Election polls.

Exactly the points I was going to make. You said it so well, you saved me the time. Thanks. The arguments against Romney being put forth by the Democrats are so pitifully weak it makes me literally LOL. They know they are in so much trouble if Romney gets the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,933,810 times
Quote:
Romney in big trouble if he becomes the nominee for the GOP
Don't you mean

Quote:
GOP in big trouble if Romney becomes the nominee for the GOP

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,172,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Exactly the points I was going to make. You said it so well, you saved me the time. Thanks.
I don't think Obama will big like in 2008, but he will beat Romney. Support for Romney is soft.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM

106 posts, read 157,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
(4) That is (almost) entirely false. In poll after poll against Obama, Romney attracts many independent voters. In fact, that is his main reason for statistically tying or beating Obama in the General Election polls.
CBS Poll: Independents Prefer Ron Paul Vs Obama - Forbes
Rasmussen: Obama, Romney Tied; Obama Up 6 among Independents | The Weekly Standard
Support for Obama, Romney dropping among Independents [newKerala.com News # 143114]

I am STILL waiting for proof from the Romney camp that he can win the Independent vote, I keep hearing this talk but it's nothing but imagination. Neo-cons and Independents are not one in the same.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,234,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCityRoller View Post
Rasmussen: Obama, Romney Tied; Obama Up 6 among Independents | The Weekly Standard

I am STILL waiting for proof from the Romney camp that he can win the Independent vote, I keep hearing this talk but it's nothing but imagination. Neo-cons and Independent are not one in the same.
The longer Paul stays in, the lower the chances Romney has in the general. Paul's fiscal conservative message will resonate with independents and they won't settle for wishy washy behavior once they've had a taste of consistency.

Romney may appeal to soccer mom moderates, but it'll be a net loss considering the amount of fiscal conservatives who'll sit it out.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,650,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
the reasons?

1) Republicans Don't Love Him

"Candidate enthusiasm is a key antecedent of electoral success. Whichever nominee generates the most excitement among its base typically has an easier time getting their supporters to the polls and ultimately securing more votes"
Also OWS people who are mainly democrats are more motivated.

2)Tea Parties Can't Stand Him

"To this point, though, the Tea Party movement has wanted nothing to do with Romney"

3) Low Income Men Can't Relate to Him

"Romney has done poorly among low income, white men. In the Iowa caucuses, he received less than 15 percent of their support."

4) Independents Don't Support Him

"Despite all his success in the nomination campaign, Romney has been unable to attract much support from independents."

All this is recipe for an Obama re-election and now that the economy is starting to improve, it makes things even more difficult for Romney.
read more here

After New Hampshire primary win, all is not rosy for Mitt Romney - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

This is a real smart thread. LOL

Somebody must like him....he's runnin' away with the GOP prize!! teehe

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,325,190 times
IMHO Romney is just another puppet pf the progressives just like both Bushes Obama and Clinton. Makes me want to UPCHUCK!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think Obama will big like in 2008, but he will beat Romney. Support for Romney is soft.

Go right ahead and think that, the softer you all think it is, the better.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCityRoller View Post
Support for Obama, Romney dropping among Independents [newKerala.com News # 143114]

I am STILL waiting for proof from the Romney camp that he can win the Independent vote, I keep hearing this talk but it's nothing but imagination. Neo-cons and Independents are not one in the same.

Romney got almost as much of the Independent vote in NH as Paul did. I think Paul got 33% and Romney got 29%. That is not much difference.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,996,388 times
Quote:
the reasons?

1) Republicans Don't Love Him

"
Candidate enthusiasm is a key antecedent of electoral success. Whichever nominee generates the most excitement among its base typically has an easier time getting their supporters to the polls and ultimately securing more votes"
Also OWS people who are mainly democrats are more motivated.

2)Tea Parties Can't Stand Him

"To this point, though, the Tea Party movement has wanted nothing to do with Romney"

3) Low Income Men Can't Relate to Him

"Romney has done poorly among low income, white men. In the Iowa caucuses, he received less than 15 percent of their support."

4) Independents Don't Support Him

"Despite all his success in the nomination campaign, Romney has been unable to attract much support from independents."

All this is recipe for an Obama re-election and now that the economy is starting to improve, it makes things even more difficult for Romney.
read more here

After New Hampshire primary win, all is not rosy for Mitt Romney - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
My thinking is that this is pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections