Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Sorry I just read your link and didn't see anything anti-choice in there. Maybe I missed something you specifically mean. It defined life at conception. What someone personally believes isn't as important as how they handle the laws regarding them. Abortion isn't an easy topic either, but I can't see that being the most important one either.
The Santity of Life Act as well as the We The People Act though likely unconstitutional themselves sought to strip federal protections of an individuals right to choose.

And no, I don't believe abortion is the most important issue, but I think Paul's view are important to consider. The point is that Ron Paul is not the champion of liberty as so many of his fans believe. He is just as, if not more conservative than many of the other Republican candidates and he has the legislative record to prove it. Paul doesn't believe in individual rights, he believes in State rights and the right of the states to pretty much do as they please in regards to restricting rights.

I'm also pro-decriminalization of drugs, and agree that that needs to happen at the federal level. But when pushed don't think Paul would be against Georgia, or some other state from instituting the death penalty for drug arrest if they so desired.

I'd also like to spend less on the military and bring our troops home, but that will never happen with a Paul White House and a Republican majority in Congress. The only thing you will see happen is a slashing of whats left of our social net and further restrictions on individual liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
I didn't see it as stripping "federal protection" just federal regulation. Still seemed to have plenty of rights to choose in there. Unfortunately, some things about abortion are just reality and go beyond "rights to choose".

Thinking that he believes state rights supercede individual rights is a serious extrapolation, I cannot agree with nor do I see evidence to support.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The Santity of Life Act as well as the We The People Act though likely unconstitutional themselves sought to strip federal protections of an individuals right to choose.

And no, I don't believe abortion is the most important issue, but I think Paul's view are important to consider. The point is that Ron Paul is not the champion of liberty as so many of his fans believe. He is just as, if not more conservative than many of the other Republican candidates and he has the legislative record to prove it. Paul doesn't believe in individual rights, he believes in State rights and the right of the states to pretty much do as they please in regards to restricting rights.
Absurd to say Ron Paul doesn't believe in individual rights. His voting record and policies prove you wrong. You confuse anti big government with local control as restricting rights. That's your misguided perception not Ron Pauls failing.

Quote:
I'm also pro-decriminalization of drugs, and agree that that needs to happen at the federal level. But when pushed don't think Paul would be against Georgia, or some other state from instituting the death penalty for drug arrest if they so desired.
He would be president and act accordingly to the Constitution. You remember the document all politicians are bound to uphold. Not like a king that has absolute power.

Quote:
I'd also like to spend less on the military and bring our troops home, but that will never happen with a Paul White House and a Republican majority in Congress.
The President controls troop movement and spending

Quote:
The only thing you will see happen is a slashing of whats left of our social net and further restrictions on individual liberties.
I'd like to see how you came to that conclusion. With a republican in the White House maybe the dems will get a backbone and actually be the party of anti war that some claim instead of sitting idly by while their democratic president gets our military personnel and our money in more countries.
"As a presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama told The Boston Globe in December 2007, “The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.” Paul introduced a resolution to use those exact words from Obama as the sense of the Senate. But on Tuesday, the Senate voted 90-10 to table the Paul motion.
“The Democrats all voted to table it, because they’re embarrassed by the president’s words and by his hypocrisy in going back on his words,” Paul said.
He believes that many Republicans and Democrats believe the president must seek congressional authority. But, he was also critical of some Republicans who believe presidential authority should not be balanced."

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Ron Paul is dogmatic to a fault and his dogma attracts and appeals to others equally as dogmatic. Like seeks like.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM

791 posts, read 460,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Ron Paul is dogmatic to a fault and his dogma attracts and appeals to others equally as dogmatic. Like seeks like.
You know this nation is in trouble when being dogmatic to the US Constitution is seen as a BAD thing...

Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
You know this nation is in trouble when being dogmatic to the US Constitution is seen as a BAD thing...

I know, right? Silly us!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's your misguided perception not Ron Pauls failing.
Sort of, but that doesn't really explain your position that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. This isn't the 1800s you know, I'm amazed that anyone still thinks that way.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM

791 posts, read 460,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sort of, but that doesn't really explain your position that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. This isn't the 1800s you know, I'm amazed that anyone still thinks that way.
I'm taking bets on how many utterly moronic statements you can make in the next hour.

Personally, I'm taking the /over...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Is that all Ron Paul is...a interpreter of the Constitution?

You do realize that there are other issues that many people find Ron Paul's stance on just plain wrong...issues concerning race, homosexuality and religion, for instance.

There is also this tidbit which many find repulsive...
Dr. Paul has said he is a great admirer of Ayn Rand

You can go back to smacking your head now.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
The lack of cognitive dissonance is astounding. Look at the subject of this thread, then re-read your post and see if you can draw the connection.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 01-17-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections