U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,776,791 times

Advertisements

Bottom Line - Jobs gains may not help Obama's re-election bid (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/13/10149044-jobs-gains-may-not-help-obamas-re-election-bid?utm_source=web&utm_medium=twitter - broken link)

This is an interesting piece (it's from MSNBC for you liberals ) that discusses why all the new jobs may not be so good for Obama.

The author believes that the number of discouraged workers coming back into the labor force will cause the unemployment rate to increase again. I happen to agree with that view, and I've mentioned it on this forum before.

This piece also discusses that the recent increase in spending is from borrowed money more than wages and that a consumer spending crunch could lead us into another recession.

Obviously (though this is not mentioned in this piece), whatever happens in Europe could play a big role in what happens to our economy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,960,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Bottom Line - Jobs gains may not help Obama's re-election bid (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/13/10149044-jobs-gains-may-not-help-obamas-re-election-bid?utm_source=web&utm_medium=twitter - broken link)

This is an interesting piece (it's from MSNBC for you liberals ) that discusses why all the new jobs may not be so good for Obama.

The author believes that the number of discouraged workers coming back into the labor force will cause the unemployment rate to increase again. I happen to agree with that view, and I've mentioned it on this forum before.

This piece also discusses that the recent increase in spending is from borrowed money more than wages and that a consumer spending crunch could lead us into another recession.

Obviously (though this is not mentioned in this piece), whatever happens in Europe could play a big role in what happens to our economy as well.

I heard Robert Reich, former Secty of Labor say the same thing about the returning discouraged workers on an NPR piece. Hope that it's not so.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,776,791 times
Any more insightful liberal posters care to weigh in?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 AM

10,005 posts, read 8,725,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

1. The election is a long ways away still and there is no telling what could happen in the mean time and with over ten months to go until the election it is going to be hard to predict employment rates that far out.

2. Even the article acknowledges, to the delight of sane people and chagrin of Republicans, that the economy is trending in the right direction for now, whether that continues to be the case is uncertain.

3. Discouraged workers have been coming back into the workforce all throughout the past year it isn't something that just started last week. Thus why the est. of discouraged workers has declined by about 1/4 from 1.3 million to 950K and while that will likely means unemployment will decline more slowly I am not certain it will cause it to rise all that suddenly barring some other event.

4. As to spending of borrowed money I seriously doubt that will lead us into another recession as the personal savings rate of 3.5% is on par or higher then it was through much of pre recession 2000s and late 1990s.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-16-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or