Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

While I disagree with Romney on this (the idea that govt should decide what constitutes love in the eys of the law seems absurd to me) the title of the video is quite misleading, that guy didn't "go off" on Romney he asked a question got an answer and it seemed they had a respectful exchange followed by thanks and a handshake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's human nature to not want to vote for someone who is against your lifestyle or who you are. Too bad for the Republicans. Gay rights or nothing.
Yeah and, if I was gay, maybe I wouldn't vote Republican. But as a straight person who supports gay rights but considers economic issues very important, I vote Republican.

I would not vote for a nutcase like Santorum who is anti-birth control and anti-oral/anal sex, but I will vote for a more moderate anti-abortion or anti-gay rights candidate even if I disagree with their stances.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Romney clearly doesn't care about earning the gay vote as such, since he knows that it is basically a lost cause. Any gay person who would vote for a Republican is more likely to vote for Romney than any of his competitors, in my opinion.
Wrong. I am gay and would much rather vote for Paul or Huntsman. At least Paul thinks it's an issue that should be left up to the states, and even further, wants the federal government out of marriage altogether. And at least Huntsman supports civil unions.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Romney clearly doesn't care about earning the gay vote as such, since he knows that it is basically a lost cause. Any gay person who would vote for a Republican is more likely to vote for Romney than any of his competitors, in my opinion.
Actually, they'd be more likely to vote for Huntsman or perhaps Ron Paul.

But, other than them, you are definitely correct.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wrong. I am gay and would much rather vote for Paul or Huntsman. At least Paul thinks it's an issue that should be left up to the states, and even further, wants the federal government out of marriage altogether. And at least Huntsman supports civil unions.
Far enough. Far be it from me to plumb the mind of a log cabin Republican.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Obama is "evolving" on the gay marriage issue. Maybe Romney will as well.

Romney is not like Santorum on gay "issues" - he is supportive of domestic partnership benefits, supports gay adoption rights, and has never suggested that consensual sodomy should be illegal or states should be able to make it illegal. Romney does not want DADT to be put back into law.
Romney is showing no signs of evolving on it other than moving further and further to the hardcore in your face social conservative right.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM

791 posts, read 460,709 times
The only Republican candidate that thinks the government should keep their noses out of people's bedrooms is Ron Paul. That's what 'individual liberty' is all about.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
I don't think any Republican counts on the gay vote.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM

791 posts, read 460,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't think any Republican counts on the gay vote.
And with that attitude they lose a lot of votes because of their lack of human respect. It's the one aspect of the Republican Party that really irritates me. Who the hell do you think you are to stick your nose so far into anyone else's business that you think you can dictate who can love who, or who someone can have a loving relationship with?

How hypocritical is DOMA when more than half of all traditional marriages end in divorce, anyway?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
And with that attitude they lose a lot of votes because of their lack of human respect. It's the one aspect of the Republican Party that really irritates me. Who the hell do you think you are to stick your nose so far into anyone else's business that you think you can dictate who can love who, or who someone can have a loving relationship with?

How hypocritical is DOMA when more than half of all traditional marriages end in divorce, anyway?
So why does only the republican partys aspect on it irritate you?The bill was signed into law by a democratic president and very high support in congress from both parties.Now that a lot of democrats are flip-flopping on it they are ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections