Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,666,975 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney is all tied up with President Barack Obama in a likely general election matchup, with the president showing signs of weakness on the economy and Romney seen as out of touch with ordinary Americans, according to a new national survey.

And a CNN/ORC International Poll released Monday also indicates that Rep. Ron Paul of Texas is also even with Obama in another possible showdown this November. The survey also suggests the Republican advantage on voter enthusiasm is eroding, which could be crucial in a close contest.

If Rick Santorum were the GOP nominee, Obama would hold a 51%-45% advantage over the former senator from Pennsylvania. And if Newt Gingrich faced off against the president, Obama would lead the former House speaker 52%-43%.

CNN Poll: Obama tied with Romney & Paul in November showdowns – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,532,968 times
Reading that column makes me believe Obama will win.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,427,332 times
You know, Ron Paul fans, I hate to admit it but I'm starting to think he might actually be electable. His supporters would be far more enthusiastic than Romney's.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Who knows what is going to happen over the next few months, though

Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You already thought so.

Nice try.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM

791 posts, read 459,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You know, Ron Paul fans, I hate to admit it but I'm starting to think he might actually be electable. His supporters would be far more enthusiastic than Romney's.
I, for one, appreciate your honesty...

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
I, for one, appreciate your honesty...
Thank you. I actually like Ron Paul. I just think his views go so far. When speaking in ideals, I tend to somewhat agree with him. However, thinking about everything in terms of ideals rather than working within reality isn't the best approach IMO. I think he needs to moderate himself a bit, especially on foreign policy.

That's why I like Huntsman and was originally one of his supporters. He was in between Ron Paul and the neo-cons on defense and had some of the same ideas as Ron Paul in so far as the financial sector.

However, Ron Paul does have somewhat of a cult-like following. That's a REAL turn-off.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,914,064 times
Quote:
74 percent of obama supporters want him to win. 33 percent want romney to win.

Fox News Poll: 2012 Obama-Romney Race Would Be Tight | Fox News

And behind those numbers is a striking contrast: 74 percent of Obama backers say they are voting “for” him rather than “against Romney” (21 percent). Yet for Romney, his support is mainly anti-Obama. Fifty-eight percent of Romney voters say they would be voting “against Obama” rather than “for Romney” (33 percent).

Read more: Fox News Poll: 2012 Obama-Romney Race Would Be Tight | Fox News

if that stays that way, no way romney wins.

ive said from the start though his base is soft. ive yet to meet anyone in real life who is a romney guy.

ive seen obama, paul, some gingrich. no romney

Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
74 percent of obama supporters want him to win. 33 percent want romney to win.

Fox News Poll: 2012 Obama-Romney Race Would Be Tight | Fox News

And behind those numbers is a striking contrast: 74 percent of Obama backers say they are voting “for” him rather than “against Romney” (21 percent). Yet for Romney, his support is mainly anti-Obama. Fifty-eight percent of Romney voters say they would be voting “against Obama” rather than “for Romney” (33 percent).

Read more: Fox News Poll: 2012 Obama-Romney Race Would Be Tight | Fox News

if that stays that way, no way romney wins.

ive said from the start though his base is soft. ive yet to meet anyone in real life who is a romney guy.

ive seen obama, paul, some gingrich. no romney
It all depends on how the economy does between now and Election Day.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,483,184 times
Quote:
Thank you. I actually like Ron Paul. I just think his views go so far. When speaking in ideals, I tend to somewhat agree with him. However, thinking about everything in terms of ideals rather than working within reality isn't the best approach IMO. I think he needs to moderate himself a bit, especially on foreign policy.

That's why I like Huntsman and was originally one of his supporters. He was in between Ron Paul and the neo-cons on defense and had some of the same ideas as Ron Paul in so far as the financial sector.

However, Ron Paul does have somewhat of a cult-like following. That's a REAL turn-off.
I think Paul's "cult-like following" is due to his unapologetic stances. People admire that a great deal because it is such a rare quality in American politics. I mean, the man never panders. He speaks his mind on every issue, often to his own detriment, and a lot of people respect that, especially when his reasoning is thoughtful and logical.

I doubt Paul will ever "moderate" himself just to collect votes. In fact, he has stated otherwise on several occasions. At the same time, when pressed, Paul will admit that many of his lofty goals would likely not be achievable. For example, when asked about whether he would actually end social security, Paul stated, in essence, that it would be impossible to do so given people's dependence on that stream of income. Thus, his goal is not to pull the rug out from under our current seniors, but rather to help the next generation become independent of such social welfare programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections