Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

Romney gets to make twice the amount of money a top speaker usually charges because he gets invited to speak twice about every topic - once based on his current position and then later again, after he has changed his mind on that topic.

http://island-adv.3vm.wpcdn.arcostream.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Romney-cartoon-double-speak.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
He's actually right--it's not very much compared to the $100 million that Bill Clinton made in the decade after he left the white house.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
He is hiding the insane amount of wealth he has, and the possibly ridiculously low tax he pays, after exploiting every loophole in the book. While it may all be very well legal and I don't doubt that, he doesn't want to portray the image to the Americans that he is a spoiled rich boy who is out of touch with 99.99% of the Americans. That will instantly set his chances back several points, because it's these exact 99.99% who needs to vote for him. And that's why he says that he will release them in April, because by then, it would be too late for the GOP to throw their weight behind another candidate as an anti-Romney. But rest assured that DNC will have a field day with him.

I have nothing against rich people, but I prefer someone who grew up in modest circumstances and who later made it big through their hard work. Someone like Romney who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth hardly seems to be a man who can empathize with the millions who are out of work and struggling to pay their bills.

Any vote for Romney will be a vote for Goldman Sachs.
I was just listening to a couple of clips from last night's debate, and I don't care what anyone thinks or how "squeaky clean" people want to think he is, this whole topic made him stutter and stammer and be evasive. And I still never heard him say he will definitely release them - I heard "probably" and "should" but there was no "yes, no problem" kind of attitude.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Romney gets to make twice the amount of money a top speaker usually charges because he gets invited to speak twice about every topic - once based on his current position and then later again, after he has changed his mind on that topic.
I love it! LOL

(Couldn't rep you again. )

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Good for him.

I can't wait until 100% of my income is from passive sources.
Me too. In fact that should probably be the goal of anyone who doesn't want to work until they drop... be able to generate enough passive income to either cover your expenses or combined with social security cover 'em.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, I know, I am a communist because I think Mitt Romney should pay the same percentage of income in taxes that I do. The horror.
No.

You're a communist because, well, because of your mentality.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You do realize that if Romney's went up, then everybody else's could go down? Right? More revenue from Mitt and other millionaires less from working class to fill the pot? I'm not sure how we can reduce taxes on everybody else and raise enough revenue.

Would be nice, but not going to happen.
How?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! Let me tell you, retirement is the best job I've ever had! My husband and I retired in 2010 and our gross income is now $36,000 more than it was when we were both working. You can't blame someone for good financial planning.
That's correct.

BTW....not sure if you thought I was being sarcastic...I wasn't.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Mitt admits he only pays around 15% in taxes. There’s major flaws in our tax system and I’m not talking about the people in poverty not paying anything…

"It's probably closer to the 15 percent rate than anything," said Romney on Tuesday. "For the past 10 years, my income comes overwhelmingly from investments made in the past, rather than ordinary income or earned annual income.

Mitt Romney Downplays $374,000 In Speaking Fees As 'Not Very Much'
It is very much. Even to me and in a good year I can make decent money.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You make an outstanding case against the "benefits" of SS!

Now....do you invest?

Suppose you miraculously received some ambition.

You take that ambition and decide to invest your hard earned (already taxed) money in an investment property.

Do you want that income taxed at your normal tax rate, or 15%?
Actually, I do invest, I also work at a rather large investment company. Good for me, if I have enough money left over to invest, but it still doesnt change my sentiments. It should be even, either all or nothing, everyone should pay the same rate into SS, and all income should be taxed the same, I dont care how you get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections