Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,634,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I do think that Ron Paul needs to do a better job of articulating his foreign policy. There's a world of space to be found inbetween Interventionism and Isolationism. Staying out of other nations business does not mean not sticking up for American interests. But the media has him pegged as a strict isolationist. He's done a good job of saying what he won't do with the US military. He needs to be clear on what he would do.
I agree. During the last debate, I thought he began to talk about it a bit, but drifted off talking about the medical benefits he would improve for the military, which is great; but he needs to focus more directly on how he would use the military to defend the U.S. when necessary instead of nation build. I think many don't understand his distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,634,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I think he has at times done a great job of explaining his position on our foreign policy, but more often than not, he doesn't articulate it well and he drifts away from discussing what we should do militarily and focuses only on what we shouldn't do.

As big of a Ron Paul fan as I am, I understand that some people have a hard time supporting him if all they know about him are a few debate highlights and occasional short interviews. If he were a very clear and articulate person in giving on the spot answers, such as in the debates and interviews, I think he would hands down be the front runner.

Personally, I think his path to front runner status, the nomination, and the presidency hinges on the following things:

1) Clearly articulating his message that he supports Israel's sovereignty as a nation, and explaining how our intervention and foreign aid with strings attach directly interferes with their sovereignty. This would help Christians realize he actually is more supportive of Israel than our current politicians who tell Israel what to do and when to do it. He would also do well to remind people that he was the only one to oppose a resolution in the 1980's that condemned Israel for their military strike on what Israel believed to be a nuclear development in Iraq. He believes Israel is not only strong enough to defend themselves, but that THEY should decide if and when military action is needed to protect them.

2) Clearly articulating his message that he is not looking to cut our military. This is an area where he doesn't make himself clear often enough, and if he did it would IMO be a strong selling point for his views. He needs to regularly talk about how he wants to reopen military bases in America that have been closed and bring troops home from foreign bases and put them there. He also would be in favor of building more military bases IN AMERICA, which would be a huge economic boost as the cost of building and operating it would all be dollars that would recirculate in our nation rather than being spent in 130 different foreign nations.

3) Clearly articulating examples of when we should approve military action. For example, he would approve of a military strike against Iran IF they were to attack any of our vessels in the seas of the region as Ron Paul is a strong believer in the freedom of the sees for trade and travel, and anyone who would do anything to stop us from freely doing so would be viewed as an attack on us. If any nation made direct threats of attacking the US, we would give them clear warnings not to attempt it, and if they started to do so, we would go after them by Congress declaring war, and then going in and decimating our opponent as quickly as possible and coming home immediately. Also, if we were attacked in any way by terrorists, he supports shaping a letter of marque and reprisal as a method of going after the terrorists without getting into a decade long nation building quagmire that does little to nothing to improve our security. People can argue the validity of that method, but saying he would do nothing is false.

We should all view war for the horror that it is. We have been at war for a decade now and it appears that it is something that many just want America to accept as our permanent state. It is an ideology and foreign policy that will bankrupt our nation if we continue, and we will end up drawing down our military in a way that we have less control over and the outcome will be far less favorable for national security. Our occupation of Muslim nations only inspires more terrorism. For every terrorist we kill, at least one other takes their place. Instead of occupation, we should only go to war with nations that pose a DIRECT threat to us rather than some dreamed up hypothetical situation based on bad evidence, like Iraq. When we go into those wars, we should OBLITERATE the enemy as fast as possible AND COME HOME.

Closing foreign bases and brining our troops home and reopening American bases along with building new ones would be a huge economic boon, and would be a great morale booster for our troops and our nation. We can still be friends with nations that allow us to have bases now, and we can still do military exercises as a way of maintaining allied forces that are capable of coordinating a war against a real threat. We don't need 900 bases in 130 countries in order to do that. Imagine if we opened 100 new large bases in America for all of those troops and equipmment to be stationed at. Imagine if we focused on securing OUR borders to prevent potential terrorist entrance on the porous Mexican border. Imagine if we fixed our immigration policy to allow for migrant workers, visas, etc. to be easily obtained so that we can track those who enter our country and become serious about those who don't play by the rules.

America would be stronger, safer, and more free.
This is a great post. Thanks for taking the time to articulate all this.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,917,744 times
I think those are excellent well articulated points. Unfortunately, I think you could say this is an issue for all the candidates. One has to do a good deal of research to get to any real information. Concise repetition can be good. I think #3 has been mentioned more #1 and #2 less so.

However, there are some that have bought into this whole "war on terror" theme and for those I don't think anything other than preemptively bombing brown-skin people is gonna fly. Ultimately can't be concerned w/ that though.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,808,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Is that picture copyrighted?? I'd like to spread it around if it 's cool...
Nope. Spread it like wildfire!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 PM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I do think that Ron Paul needs to do a better job of articulating his foreign policy. There's a world of space to be found inbetween Interventionism and Isolationism. Staying out of other nations business does not mean not sticking up for American interests. But the media has him pegged as a strict isolationist. He's done a good job of saying what he won't do with the US military. He needs to be clear on what he would do.
^^^yes

Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 AM

277 posts, read 363,484 times
Our foreign policy of the last 22 years is a failure. Listening to these clowns invites more of the same. Peace through overwhelming economic and military strength. Trump 2020.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Our foreign policy of the last 22 years is a failure. Listening to these clowns invites more of the same. Peace through overwhelming economic and military strength. Trump 2020.
The only clowns arethose that think expanding our empire around the world is a smart move when the facts show that when empires expand beyond their means, they collapse.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Trump knows absolutely nothing about foreign policy and he doesn’t listen to his advisors. He has alienated our allies while praising the dictators. He has no idea what he is doing. Wouldn’t you say he’s the clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections