Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Vote Republican. The Republican Party is slowly but surely starting to come around on the gay issues.
Oh please. And even if they are coming around, why should they be rewarded for being about 40 years behind Democrats on gay issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM

791 posts, read 460,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's never made sense to me. Unless you're voting for an independent, you're going to get "the party", regardless of who the person is.
Unless, of course, you vote for Ron Paul. He doesn't care what you do in your bedroom, doesn't care if you go to church, doesn't care if you smoke a joint, but he cares if the government infringes on your LIBERTY.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Oh please. And even if they are coming around, why should they be rewarded for being about 40 years behind Democrats on gay issues?
40 years behind? Yeah, maybe a candidate like Santorum, but for the most part...not so much.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
A lot actually since they appoint SCOTUS judges and sodomy is one SCOTUS vote away from being a crime.
Do you really think SCOTUS would ever agree to hear such a case again? Even if they did and that decision was overturned, do you think states without such laws would enact them? Do you think states with those laws still on the books would start enforcing them? They by and large ignored them for a long time before they were finally ruled unconstitutional.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Unless, of course, you vote for Ron Paul. He doesn't care what you do in your bedroom, doesn't care if you go to church, doesn't care if you smoke a joint, but he cares if the government infringes on your LIBERTY.
I agree, and I appreciate Ron Paul for those values.

Quote:
40 years behind? LOL

Only fringe candidates like Santorum are "40 years behind."
Homosexuality was delisted as a mental disorder about 40 years ago. Which posters on this forum regularly argue that it should have remained listed as a mental disorder? It's the most outspoken Republicans. You know who they are.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Homosexuality was delisted as a mental disorder about 40 years ago. Which posters on this forum regularly argue that it should have remained listed as a mental disorder? It's the most outspoken Republicans. You know who they are.
The most outspoken ones...

Quote:
Do you really think SCOTUS would ever agree to hear such a case again? Even if they did and that decision was overturned, do you think states without such laws would enact them? Do you think states with those laws still on the books would start enforcing them? They by and large ignored them for a long time before they were finally ruled unconstitutional.
The current governor of Texas still believes that his state was right in Lawrence v. Texas - the case that struck down sodomy laws across the U.S.

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Yes absolutely on both counts. Scalia didn't write the parade of horribles dissent just so it could languish. I think if they could get 5 votes Scalia and Thomas would be more then happy to take a second look at Lawrence and I think in states with very religiously conservative legislatures, where both Democrats and Republicans oppose gay rights I could definitely see those laws being brought back.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The current governor of Texas still believes that his state was right in Lawrence v. Texas - the case that struck down sodomy laws across the U.S.
Yes I know he believes that.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes absolutely on both counts. Scalia didn't write the parade of horribles dissent just so it could languish. I think if they could get 5 votes Scalia and Thomas would be more then happy to take a second look at Lawrence and I think in states with very religiously conservative legislatures, where both Democrats and Republicans oppose gay rights I could definitely see those laws being brought back.
And would the laws be enforced?

Adultery is still a crime in many states. Have you heard of someone being criminally prosecuted for it in the past few decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections