Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 PM

791 posts, read 457,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I referenced people, not polls. Polls in NV mean very little. Obama also polls well here thanks to the liberal populace of our population centers.
That's all the illegal aliens cooking and cleaning in the hotels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM

791 posts, read 457,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A Mormon Obama supporter...wel I'll be darned.

I know, right? Apparently, when Utah first entered the Union, the mormons there were mostly Democrat because the GOP was opposed to polygamy--so were the Dems, but the Republicans were the majority party then. But by 1912, it was only one of two states to vote for Republican Taft over TR and Wilson. Not sure why they shifted sides though.
Mormons are pretty sharp people. Even 100 years ago they saw the danger of Progressives...

Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM

27,881 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A Mormon Obama supporter...wel I'll be darned.
I'm a Mormon and am also an Obama supporter, as is my husband and three of my best friends.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I'd bet at least 90% of Mormons will vote for Romney.
I'll take the bet. Romney will win them, but it will be much closer to 78% or less. The LDS are like other groups, and have always had liberals among them. Harry Reid is a typical Mormon Democrat. As a group overall, they are moderates, but they have their own far right and left bunches.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM

2,896 posts, read 3,477,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Mormon and am also an Obama supporter, as is my husband and three of my best friends.
Why Katzpur?! Do you like what he is doing to the country?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
In the general election it could make a difference in Nevada also. The states that have more LDS members will not have the bias as much against him for being Mormon either because of the familiarity. There just aren't many LDS in the south so people judge what they don't know. Once you have known people and live around them, it makes them less of a mystery. We do have an LDS church here in my city and their missionaries out doing their mission work all over town so I think that may be why there is less bigotry about it. I have met and talked to a few of the missionary kids, but other than that I don't know anyone here in town that is LDS. The church is big and I see their parking lot is very full when they meet, so I wonder who goes there?
The Mormons go to that church, of course. The LDS live everywhere, and they have long associations with Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Ohio, all places they lived before moving to Utah. They also live in Texas, Arizona, California, Wyoming, Nevada, and Colorado in large numbers. The Deep South has fewer members, but there are congregations in all the larger cities throughout the South, I'm sure.

The faith is very American in nature, and has been steadily growing all over the country for many years now.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Obama is just as bad on the 2nd Amendment, maybe even worse!
Please explain what he has done?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 AM

38,955 posts, read 50,875,947 times
Quote:
Mormons are pretty sharp people. Even 100 years ago they saw the danger of Progressives...
Many if not most Mormons are pretty progressive in many ways, for example support of public education. The LDS church has a much more progressive and humane view on immigration reform than Republicans in general. Utah is far, far more "progressive" than South Carolina. They don't vote for racist loud mouths like Newt in Utah. Romney is typical and far more "progressive" than Republicans like. That is why he is struggling to get more than a third of them to vote for him in the primaries.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,243,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Probably. And? Who cares? Mormons usually vote Republican any way. No news there.

A lot of, not all, black folks voted for Obama in '08 because he is black.

A lot of, not all, white folks voted for McCain in '08 because he is white.

Sorry, not a Mormon.
I asked because I kept reading things about how Romney would take Utah because it's Mormon, that he would take California because there are more Mormons than Libertarians, etc.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,000,182 times
Quote:
Really?

If they're so clairvoyant, why didn't they see that banning blacks from the Temple was going to get them in trouble...(tax exemption trouble).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections