Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is Mitt more Conservative than Newt?

or

Is Newt more Conservative than Mitt?

Were does Ron and Rick, fit in the new revised definition of Conservative?
Terms like "Progressive" "Liberal" "Populist" and "Conservative" are disingenuous and ridiculous in their overuse. They do not truly tell you enough about the candidate.

I'd rather just look at the entire spectrum of what they stand for and make my decision based on that. "Conservativism" is a moving target. It means different things in different generations. I think debating who is the most conservative is rather stupid.

Conservative is just another brand-name offer the option of buying the product without actually knowing what it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Terms like "Progressive" "Liberal" "Populist" and "Conservative" are disingenuous and ridiculous in their overuse. They do not truly tell you enough about the candidate.

I'd rather just look at the entire spectrum of what they stand for and make my decision based on that. "Conservativism" is a moving target. It means different things in different generations. I think debating who is the most conservative is rather stupid.

Conservative is just another brand-name offer the option of buying the product without actually knowing what it really is.

You mean labels have stereotypes?
How has the stereotype changed over the years.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
I don't know what conservative means anymore. They've gone so far to the right that Nixon would be consider liberal today. Conservatives seem to want control of private lives.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

True. The names really don't mean much any more if they ever did at all. My idea of conservative means to quit screwing with everything but apparently that makes me an anarchist. Go figure.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You mean labels have stereotypes?
How has the stereotype changed over the years.
Ron Paul is fairly classic Conservatism in foreign policy. Stay out of other people's business, don't get involved in entangling alliances, trade with all nations of the world and engage in diplomacy, but do not go to war unless there is an immediate threat to the USA itself. Keep government small and taxes low. Let people live their lives with a bare minimum of government interference, and this made the Republicans a major champion of civil rights and civil liberties. Ultimately, Conservatism meant just being cautious before jumping into pretty much anything at all.

Today's "Conservative" is all about the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, foreign aid, maintaining alliances and US military presence abroad, nation building, spreading Democracy with the sword, etc. They promise big and spend big. If you had a time machine and could go back and get Teddy Roosevelt, he'd be absolutely blown away when he saw what the Republican Party has become.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
Quote:

or

Who knows, and who cares? They are all terrible candidates.

I'm not a 100% Obama supporter, he's disappointed me on a lot of things, but I can understand the difference between a statesman and a political opportunist. Romney and Gingrich are examples of the latter.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:

or

What are the differences between Mitt and Obama?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What are the differences between Mitt and Obama?
It the same contrast for any of the GOP candidates and the only question is, "How much?"

1.) Mitt wants to simplify the tax code and lower taxes across the board, just like the other three. Obama wants to raise taxes on everyone (he says only the rich, but I'm sure as hell not rich and my taxes will go up considerably if he has his way.)
2.) Mitt wants to get rid of Obamacare, just like the other three. Obama wants to preserve and expand it.
3.) Mitt wants to get rid of regulations and lower corporate tax rates to make it more appealing to do business in the USA. So do the other three. Obama wants higher corporate tax rates and even more regulation.
4.) Romney and the other three GOP'ers are Pro Life. Obama is Pro Abortion.
5.) Romney and the other three want to send a Balanced Budget Amendment to the states. Obama will do everything in his power to prevent this from happening.
6.) Romney is white and Obama isn't. (No I don't have a point, just stating the obvious.)
7.) Romney wants to get tough with Iran, as do Gingrich and Santorum. Obama seems a little lost and confused when it comes to Iran. I'm not sure where he stands exactly. Ron Paul obviously has the most peace-driven idea.
8.) Romney wants to increase the size of our military, as do Santorum and Gingrich. Obama wants to shrink it but keeps us actively engaged in military operations all over the world. Ron Paul wants to bring the troops home.

We could go on forever here. Whatever past stances have been on the issues, this is where the candidates stand right now and the American people will generally hold them to it if they win the election.

If you want buzzwords and spin, forum members here can offer you loads of it. If you want to know where the candidates stand on the issues as well as their past history on matters, I recommend looking here: OnTheIssues.org - Candidates on the Issues

Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
At least Romney took somewhat of a stand on the illegal immigration problem.

Gingrich did the typical politican thing: tried to make amnesty sound not really like amnesty to American citizens, and a lot like amnesty to Hispanic voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections