Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM

791 posts, read 460,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
My grandparents told me about the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's growing up. The didn't really have much protection of their individual rights. It didn't sound so great. I'm trying to avoid living in that society.
Nobody is trying to make you live in that society... Paranoid much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,853 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. He starts a company that is supposed to be printing newsletters. They end up being racist newsletters, he doesn't know they contain racism, yet signs off on them anyway. As a black man, I don't think obama has been the greatest, but I'm supposed to think ron paul is a better option. Well atleast ron paul doesn't believe in hanging "no blacks allowed" signs in front of stores, oh wait, he does believe in that.
Based on that comment alone, I can see that liberty isn't a quality you are looking for in a candidate. The funny thing about what you said is that when businesses placed discriminatory signs stating "no blacks allowed" and it was legal, black businesses were thriving throughout the U.S. i.e. Harlem. Now that "integration" has made everyone "equal" and the "Great" Society has taken effect, the plight of the Black Man has continued. Now, instead of worrying about being lynched, young black men have to worry about getting murdered in their own neighborhood, by their own people. A major factor, IMO, is the breakdown of the family unit that has been a product of the welfare state. The city I live in, Philadelphia, has experienced 31 homicides in the first 25 days of the year. The National Guard is or is potentially intervening right over the bridge in Camden, NJ. Same story in almost every big city, especially those that don't issue concealed carry licenses, like Philly.

If Ron Paul was elected, liberty restored, and the welfare state dismantled, I guarantee families would become closer and the black (and white/latino) community would prosper. You would suddenly need a dad in the picture again, because Uncle Sam would stop sending checks out.

I believe in liberty and family unity, something this country absolutely ABHORS, republicans and democrats alike. What do you believe in?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think blacks that think Ron Paul is racist should be honest. There are many blacks who stand for Ron Paul. Ron Paul is more aware of and more willing to do something about the unfairness to blacks in the American Judicial System than any of the other candidates INCLUDING OBAMA. He points out that blacks are victims of more wrongful deaths by the judicial system than whites. The same goes for arrests.

Sorry to thin skinned blacks, whites, greens and purples whose feelings are hurt when they see a sign "N0 _(color/ethinicity/gender or other description of the person)___ allowed". Tough BEANS for PETE'S SAKE. GET OVER IT. Everyone is discriminated against at some point in their lives for one reason or another. That is no reason not to vote for Ron Paul.

I'd rather be discriminated against and have my life liberty and pursuit of happiness, freedom and protection of my individual rights than be a slave to government, without any rights, and be "protected" against discrimination.

An owner of a men's club will exclude women. Do you see women getting all bent out of shape because they aren't allowed? NO!

Just as RP has said over and over, in a FREE society where individual rights and property are protected, there are going to be behaviors that are going to offend some that some people may choose to do. However as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves by doing that behavior they should be allowed to do it.

Your wrong on this institutuion that are private propertys
exclusive clubs etc( can discriminate) nobody even black lawyers
dispute this.

what ron and rand paul advocate is the legalization of discrimination
of AA's in a public place (school, restaraunts malls) under the guise of private property rights. The courts decided in southern hotel case that you can not discriminate against people in public places,because public roads and public infrastructure faciliate your buisness,and since everbody pays taxes you are not allowed to discriminate. This is why the boy scouts lost public funding for discriminating agianst gays.

The constitution also gives feds to regulate insterstate commerce. There fore they can enforce fair buisness practice.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think blacks that think Ron Paul is racist should be honest. There are many blacks who stand for Ron Paul. Ron Paul is more aware of and more willing to do something about the unfairness to blacks in the American Judicial System than any of the other candidates INCLUDING OBAMA. He points out that blacks are victims of more wrongful deaths by the judicial system than whites. The same goes for arrests.

Sorry to thin skinned blacks, whites, greens and purples whose feelings are hurt when they see a sign "N0 _(color/ethinicity/gender or other description of the person)___ allowed". Tough BEANS for PETE'S SAKE. GET OVER IT. Everyone is discriminated against at some point in their lives for one reason or another. That is no reason not to vote for Ron Paul.

I'd rather be discriminated against and have my life liberty and pursuit of happiness, freedom and protection of my individual rights than be a slave to government, without any rights, and be "protected" against discrimination.

An owner of a men's club will exclude women. Do you see women getting all bent out of shape because they aren't allowed? NO!

Just as RP has said over and over, in a FREE society where individual rights and property are protected, there are going to be behaviors that are going to offend some that some people may choose to do. However as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves by doing that behavior they should be allowed to do it.
Actually, allowing discrimination is a very good reason not to support Ron Paul.

Being told to leave a restaurant because you are black, or "seem gay", is unacceptable in a civilized culture.

Items like this are why Paul has difficulty breaking out of the 10-15% polling range. Many folks consider this sentiment to be unacceptable.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Because while he believes Ron Paul is not racist, there is the matter of the racist newsletters being printed. Why are you dismissing the fact that a man who is running for president of the united states allowed racist newsletters, which he signed off on, to be printed and sold under his watch. Did you read the article about the newsletters?
Because you cannot be racist if you see at everyone as an individual.

If you see Chris Rock as a comedian. Then you see him as a individual

If you see Chris Rock as a BLACK comedian, then you view him as a group. Sorry to say, you are racist.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, allowing discrimination is a very good reason not to support Ron Paul.

Being told to leave a restaurant because you are black, or "seem gay", is unacceptable in a civilized culture.

Items like this are why Paul has difficulty breaking out of the 10-15% polling range. Many folks consider this sentiment to be unacceptable.
Not allowing it through government coercion is against the Constitution, and the INALIENABLE rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Infringing on ANYONE'S rights, regardless of the reason, is un-Constitutional.

What is unacceptable in a civilized culture is this moronic belief that the government can do it better than the people can.

If some guy that owns a coffee shop puts out a sign that says "NO BLACKS ALLOWED", would you patronize that shop? I wouldn't. In fact, the only folks that would are the racist idiots that 'civilized culture' doesn't want to hobnob with ANYWAY. Let them ostracize themselves from the rest of us and bid them good riddance!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Not allowing it through government coercion is against the Constitution, and the INALIENABLE rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Infringing on ANYONE'S rights, regardless of the reason, is un-Constitutional.

What is unacceptable in a civilized culture is this moronic belief that the government can do it better than the people can.

If some guy that owns a coffee shop puts out a sign that says "NO BLACKS ALLOWED", would you patronize that shop? I wouldn't. In fact, the only folks that would are the racist idiots that 'civilized culture' doesn't want to hobnob with ANYWAY. Let them ostracize themselves from the rest of us and bid them good riddance!

This is what the statists and whiners can't seem to understand about freedom and liberty.

They think the only thing that separates racism and non-racism is a giant government bureaucracy.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
You're absolutely right, I don't care, and more importantly YOU shouldn't care, either. The fact remains that Ron Paul is the ONLY candidate on EITHER side that espouses a political philosophy that is COLOR-BLIND.

You know, the kind of society that MLK dreamed about?
To have such a society, you have to get there first. And you don't get there by saying "who cares?"'in response to racism. Dr. King certainly didn't live his life that way.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

This is what the statists and whiners can't seem to understand about freedom and liberty.

They think the only thing that separates racism and non-racism is a giant government bureaucracy.
Yep, because white people back in the 50's and 60's were just going to one day wake up and say "you know what, this whole discrimination thing isn't just working for us anymore, lets start treating people equally". If it wasn't for government bureaucracy, i'm scared to think where would we be today.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yep, because white people back in the 50's and 60's were just going to one day wake up and say "you know what, this whole discrimination thing isn't just working for us anymore, lets start treating people equally". If it wasn't for government bureaucracy, i'm scared to think where would we be today.
If it wasn't for white people thinking EXACTLY that, you'd never have gotten ANYWHERE! Or don't you remember the WHITE people the KKK killed in Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections