Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'll say it again because it bears repeating: Obama is not a great intellect. He's pretty damned average, and I suspect his college transcripts bear this out.

Newt, on the other hand, is actually quite brilliant.

I just call them as I see them. My career is cognitive testing, so if you care to debate the issue, be prepared for rebuttal.
I definitely agree with your first point, but totally disagree on the second. I've not seen anything from Newt that makes me believe there is any reason to think there is anything brilliant about him. He may have a good vocabulary, but he only uses that to blow his own hot air and to recast other's ideas as his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,920 times
I supported Obama in 2008 because I was sick and tired of Bush and McCain reminded me too much of Bush. It was also because Obama promised to end the wars and close Gitmo.

I no longer support Obama because he had 2 years with a Democratic majority in the Congress, with no obstructionism, and he continued and expanded on the Bush policies:
  1. Patriot Act (and now, NDAA, SOPA)
  2. TSA
  3. Warrantless wiretapping
  4. Illegal wars (not only that, he started new wars)
  5. Guantanamo Bay
  6. Big expansion of government
  7. Reckless spending
  8. Expanded drone attacks
  9. Continued bailouts
  10. Torture of detainees
  11. Expanded the police state
  12. Continued the war on drugs
  13. Issued unconstitutional Executive Orders

Also, I happened to stumble upon Ron Paul and after listening to him speak and reading his books, I have come to realize that the 2 party system we have is a scam and the so-called right wing and the left wing are just 2 wings of the same bird of prey. I learned more about the Constitution, US history, Austrian economics and the libertarian ideology, and my eyes were opened.

Now, whether it be Obama, Newt, Romney or Frothy, I measure all actions against the Constitution and the mindset of our Founding Fathers. Every politician falls short, except Paul, who eerily hangs onto the Constitution with bulldog tenacity. So it is no longer enough that a candidate is "cool", "brilliant", "nice", "compassionate", "great debater" or has good moussed hair. I look to see if the candidate is committed to the Constitution. If not, it's a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Very good post!
Obama can be easily attacked from the left or from the right, and all with good reasons. Your list is a good one, but nowhere near complete, unfortunately.
Obama is as much a corporatist as any other president in living memory. And he's certainly no defender of civil liberties or the constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I supported Obama in 2008 because I was sick and tired of Bush and McCain reminded me too much of Bush. It was also because Obama promised to end the wars and close Gitmo.

I no longer support Obama because he had 2 years with a Democratic majority in the Congress, with no obstructionism, and he continued and expanded on the Bush policies:
  1. Patriot Act (and now, NDAA, SOPA)
  2. TSA
  3. Warrantless wiretapping
  4. Illegal wars (not only that, he started new wars)
  5. Guantanamo Bay
  6. Big expansion of government
  7. Reckless spending
  8. Expanded drone attacks
  9. Continued bailouts
  10. Torture of detainees
  11. Expanded the police state
  12. Continued the war on drugs
  13. Issued unconstitutional Executive Orders

Also, I happened to stumble upon Ron Paul and after listening to him speak and reading his books, I have come to realize that the 2 party system we have is a scam and the so-called right wing and the left wing are just 2 wings of the same bird of prey. I learned more about the Constitution, US history, Austrian economics and the libertarian ideology, and my eyes were opened.

Now, whether it be Obama, Newt, Romney or Frothy, I measure all actions against the Constitution and the mindset of our Founding Fathers. Every politician falls short, except Paul, who eerily hangs onto the Constitution with bulldog tenacity. So it is no longer enough that a candidate is "cool", "brilliant", "nice", "compassionate", "great debater" or has good moussed hair. I look to see if the candidate is committed to the Constitution. If not, it's a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I definitely agree with your first point, but totally disagree on the second. I've not seen anything from Newt that makes me believe there is any reason to think there is anything brilliant about him. He may have a good vocabulary, but he only uses that to blow his own hot air and to recast other's ideas as his own.
What he does with his intellect may go against your own ideals or wishes, but he has a facile mind, great verbal skills, great reasoning skills, great memory, etc...He is very specific in what he wants to do with the country and articulates steps and consequences that make sense.

Romney and Obama speak in platitudes.

Frankly, I'd like to see the creators of Bob the Builder sue Obama for stealing their line.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Obama is as much a corporatist as any other president in living memory. And he's certainly no defender of civil liberties or the constitution.
Right. And this is exactly why I don't support him anymore. The same big banks backing Romney are also backing Obama, so really, what's the difference between them? The banks are in this race betting on both the top horses because they know whoever wins, the banks will win too, while the people will lose.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Well, there are plenty of other threads where we can discuss the merits of Newt, I want to keep this focused on Obama. For those of you see Obama and Romney as two side of the same coin, and since that's what the general election is shaping up to be, who will you wind up voting for and why?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
For those of you see Obama and Romney as two side of the same coin, and since that's what the general election is shaping up to be, who will you wind up voting for and why?
Neither. I hope Paul will be the GOP nominee. If not, I'll just write in Paul. Not voting for Obama (Black Romney) or Romney (White Obama).

Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,756 times
Amen, you hit the nail on the head on many things that I feel the same way about him. It still baffles me, with everything going on when he got into office why he squandered so much political capital, time, effort, etc. away on the healthcare thing.

But unfortunately, I will probably vote for him just because of the simple fact he is the lesser of the two evils when compared with whatever one of Dumb and Dumber wins the Republican nomination

Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
he is the lesser of the two evils when compared with whatever one of Dumb and Dumber wins the Republican nomination
Go ahead and make your case how Obama is so much brighter than Newt. I won't hold my breath.
You give me a sound and cogent argument for that and I'll send you a check.
Seriously.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
1.Instead of focusing on the economy when he had supermajorities he wasted his time on the partisan Obamacare.
2. He is divisive: "republicans get in the back of the bus"; class warfare; the way he humiliated Ryan after his budget proposals
3. He appoints a committee to solve our spending problems, Simpson/ Bowles, then ignores the findings that were bi-partisan and intelligent
4. He had an opportunity to do some real infrastructure improvements but spent the vast majority of stimulus on paybacks to his political hacks, like giving the states money for teacher union jobs, and Solyndra type spending.
5. he is for redistribution of wealth not wealth creation or jobs creation.
6. he is not a hard working president; too much golf, poor work habits, he spends most of his time fund raising and campaigning
7. he has bad mouthed our country overseas
8. he does not believe in American exceptionalism
9. he knows very little about business and his administration is full of radicals but no business people
10 he is hurting the US energy industry, oil gas and coal
11 the Keystone Pipeline decision is costing jobs just to please his base, very despicable
12. He is the biggest spender in US history at a time when we can least afford it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections