Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times

Advertisements

A re-election season before a President's second term is invariably a referendum on that President's performance up to now. Having been on City-Data as long as I have, I've read all kinds of hate-filled rants against Obama. I'd like to discuss the various reasons of those of us who will probably not be pulling the lever for him the November and ascertain the range of reasons for that choice.

I will start with mine:
  • I don't hate Obama. Don't think he's a communist or Muslim or hates America. I certainly don't buy into birtherism, and feel it is mostly racially motivated.
  • However, I do feel he is a terrible leader.
  • I can't say that I agree with many of his ideas because he does not articulate them well. He never describes the detailed steps for implementing those ideas and does not explain the specific benefits that they will cause and how.
  • His primary method of leadership is "Calling on Congress to..." he "calls on Congress to lower college tuition". He " calls on Congress to help upside-down homeowners pay their mortgages". He "calls on Congress to create jobs..." That's not leadership. Walk across DC and work directly with Congress to solve problems, don't just instruct Reid or Pelossi to get some bill passed no matter what's really in it.
  • He fundamentally seems clueless as to how business works in this country and how jobs are created
  • His priorities are screwed up. His first focus upon getting in office should have been to create jobs, not Healthcare. He squandered his mandate and his party's control of both houses to pass legislation nobody wanted, nobody understood, and prevented job creation. Best way to help a guy with healthcare is to give him a job that provides healthcare. He waited too long to address jobs and the economy and the nation suffered greatly for it
  • He is a lot like Newt, he and his supporters seem far more enamored of his intellect than seems warranted based on what I've seen so far. Longfellow wrote "We judge ourselves based on what we think we are capable of doing, others judge us on what we've already done." Personally, I haven't seen one thing that impresses me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
I agree with just about everything you've said.

Also -

He's run up trillions of dollars in new debt without anything to show for it. If his spending actually worked, it would be one thing. But it hasn't.

The economy is not getting better, folks. The unemployment rate would be over 10% if it weren't for discouraged workers dropping out of the work force. And the CBO is now projecting the unemployment rate to go up to 8.9% by the end of this year and back over 9% in 2013. There's also been high inflation, there was a drop in home sales last year, and there are other negative indicators.

He seems to want us to be more like Europe. I don't want us to be. I want government spending to be limited. I favor the free market and I favor individualism. Furthermore, a lot of European countries are in big trouble (though not all are). I don't think we should use Europe as a model.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-02-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Why would you choose not to vote Obama?

Because of his record of not doing as he says he will (lying).

The attitude that he presents to the public, especially that portion promoting that only he knows what is best, regardless of it having failed in the past.

The fact that he takes no responsibility for the out come of his decisions, but rather tries to blame someone, anyone, else.

The fact that I don't agree with his policies or his vision for the country.

Now I will wait to be labeled a racist for not liking him.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree with just about everything you've said.

My main reason though is that he's run up trillions of dollars in new debt without anything to show for it. If his spending actually worked, it would be one thing. But it hasn't.

The economy is not getting better, folks. The unemployment rate would be over 10% if it weren't for discouraged workers leaving the work force. And the CBO is now projecting the unemployment rate to go up to 8.9% by the end of this year and back over 9% in 2013. There's also been huge inflation, there was a drop in home sales last year, and there are many other negative indicators.

My second reason is that he seems to want us to be more like Europe. I don't want us to be. I'm not against government spending; I just want it to be limited. I favor the free market and I favor individualism.
I should have added those to mine! The only reason I left out government spending is that I worry that's a systemic problem that both parties suffer from. In my lifetime, Reagan and both Bushes run up the debt more than the Clinton administration. Obama has been the first Dem to play into that stereotype.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I should have added those to mine! The only reason I left out government spending is that I worry that's a systemic problem that both parties suffer from. In my lifetime, Reagan and both Bushes run up the debt more than the Clinton administration. Obama has been the first Dem to play into that stereotype.
Except Obama has gone above and beyond the Bushses and Reagan.

The deficits each year have been double those from when Bush Jr. was in office.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Well.. he is the worst president in modern times for one.

He has achieved NOTHING.
He has spent more money (that we don't have) than the previous presidents combined.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Why would you choose not to vote Obama?

Because of his record of not doing as he says he will (lying).

The attitude that he presents to the public, especially that portion promoting that only he knows what is best, regardless of it having failed in the past.

The fact that he takes no responsibility for the out come of his decisions, but rather tries to blame someone, anyone, else.

The fact that I don't agree with his policies or his vision for the country.

Now I will wait to be labeled a racist for not liking him.
I'm hoping a rational discussion of his deficiencies as president will keep the racist labeling away. Not everybody voted for him because he was black, not everyone who wants him out of office does so because he is black.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Except Obama has gone above and beyond the Bushses and Reagan.

The deficits each year have been double those from when Bush Jr. was in office.
That's true, 3 succesive administrations, 3 successive escalations in debt. That's why I tend to think this problem is way too systemic for both parties.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Refusing to vote for him becasue he doesn't live up to campaign promises is shortsighted in my opinion.

Obama is a politician, and politicians lie. YOu have to look through the cracks to catch the truth.

I was a little too anti-Repub at the time which is why I voted for Obama, hoping for him to be somewhat liberal, and I got disappointed.

The only reason I'd vote for Obama would be to keep the idiots that the GOP is putting forth (outside of Paul) away from the office.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
He is a lot like Newt, he and his supporters seem far more enamored of his intellect than seems warranted based on what I've seen so far.
I'll say it again because it bears repeating: Obama is not a great intellect. He's pretty damned average, and I suspect his college transcripts bear this out.

Newt, on the other hand, is actually quite brilliant.

I just call them as I see them. My career is cognitive testing, so if you care to debate the issue, be prepared for rebuttal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections