Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I stopped watching at 1:33. With the second and third calls made, the editor of the video doesn't allow us to hear what is said after both offices say that they don't do mammograms.

And to get a referral means that you have to go in and have an exam with a medical professional who then writes you a prescription for a mammogram, which you then have to present at the center where they do mammograms, MRI's, etc. You just don't refer to an outside agency via a phone call.
But you never hear the women answering the phone offering to make an appointment for the caller to come in and get the exam and referral. In fact, the last caller is actually told that PP doesn't offer those services at all. A referral would be to a different agency altogether. Another one suggested calling a Christian Community Clinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
But you never hear the women answering the phone offering to make an appointment for the caller to come in and get the exam and referral. In fact, the last caller is actually told that PP doesn't offer those services at all. A referral would be to a different agency altogether. Another one suggested calling a Christian Community Clinic.
Sorry, I was editing my post when you posted this. But how do we know if the women answering the phone offered to make an appointment? The video editor abruptly ends what the PP office says after the first sentence. From my previous post, which was the added in part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I stopped watching at 1:33. With the second and third calls, the editor of the video doesn't allow us to hear anything more than the first sentence after the caller asks about getting a mammogram.
Second call asks ". . . You provide mammograms." Planned Parenthood, "We don't here." Cut.
Third call asks "Can I come in for a breast exam and mammogram?" Planned Parenthood, "Ok, unfortunately we don't like offer the mammogram." Cut.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Your first two posts were troll post, this post happens to be utter nonsense. I'm not sure how one gets backed into a corner by a post talking about "57 states".

Romney SHOVED his foot into his mouth. This had nothing to do with abortion and SGK had already reversed it's stupid decision before Romney had finished putting ketchup on his feet. The guy is a total idiot. He's alienated poor people and now women. It's really hard to see from the ivory tower Mittens was born into.
Romney didn't alienate poor people. He alienated the poverty pimps who make a good living off the poor. As for women, I believe SGK truly cares about women and breast cancer. PP? Not so much. The breast cancer screening and mamogram services PP supposedly provides is merely a fig leaf for its true mission: abortion. Assuming that half of the babies aborted by PP are female, then it has killed more women than will ever die of breast cancer. SGK ought to dissassociate itself from PP if it wants to preserve its image of a defender of women.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What the hell else was he supposed to say?
"No comment." Literally.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
very few PP facilities have the equipment to do mammograms. what they do is a breast exam and, if necessary, refer women for a mammogram based on the breast exam.

As to Romney - he was asked a question, so he answered it. He could have answered it better, but why does anyone care? Are people that a strong-pro-life going to vote for Obama? Are people that are strong-pro-choice going to vote for a Republican for President? It's a Republican primary, to win, you have to pander to the one and two issue voters.

To those that care - donate $10 to Planned Parenthood and $10 to a different cancer charity.

I stopped donating to SBK when they started paying lawyers to sue small local charities that used the words "for the cure". My donation dollars can be better spent elsewhere at an organization that isn't so concerned about their brand vs. their cause.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
ever think that the person who put together the video might not be posting the entire conversation?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Romney didn't alienate poor people. He alienated the poverty pimps who make a good living off the poor. As for women, I believe SGK truly cares about women and breast cancer. PP? Not so much. The breast cancer screening and mamogram services PP supposedly provides is merely a fig leaf for its true mission: abortion. Assuming that half of the babies aborted by PP are female, then it has killed more women than will ever die of breast cancer. SGK ought to dissassociate itself from PP if it wants to preserve its image of a defender of women.
nearly 40,000 women will die each year from breast cancer. with early detection, that number can be reduced. You're free to be pro-life, but falsely painting PP as abortion being their true mission is not helping you win any arguments. Simply walk down the street and start asking random women if they've ever used PP for any health services, you'll be shocked at how many women have. My sister had to her first 2 years out of college when she was a biology researcher in Maryland, because she couldn't afford regular doctor appointments. She's never had an abortion, FYI.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Romney has no political skills. As several point out, the correct answer was to stay out of it.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ohhh..with the reversal by SGK already in place the correct answer would be "no comment", regardless of where one personally stands on abortion (since, theoretically, this wasn't ABOUT abortion anyway).
But it IS all about abortion.

Karen Handel, SGK's VP for Policy Issues, was hired in Apr 2011. She is a staunch anti-abortionist.

Prior to working for SGK, Handel was the Georgia Sec of State, and a GOP candidate for governor. While in that position, she worked to get PP defunded in Georgia. Handel ran for governor of Georgia in 2010, on a platform of defunding PP.

As soon as she got to SGK, Handel began devising a scheme to cut off the Foundation's association with PP. According to leaked internal memos, and statements of staffers, Handel purposely created a new policy, that SGK would not contribute to any organization under congressional investigation. Currently, PP is under investigation by the GOP-led US HR, for alleged violations of the Hyde Amendment.

Handel's machinizations have been exposed, SGK has back-tracked, and she is probably going to be ousted. But the lasting damage to the reputation of SGK remains to be seen.

The really interesting question at this point... just how did a GOP anti-abortion activist get hired into such a critical job at a women's health foundation in the first place?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
I have never given money to Susan G. Komen or Planned Parenthood. But I would never give money to anything that is associated with Planned Parenthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections