Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 PM

187 posts, read 181,821 times

Advertisements

Ever since Barrack beat a delirious McCain, the republicans have been salivating, cursing the very existence of Obama, wishing for the return of another moronic republican to replace him, to the point that the radical right wishes that our country falls into anarchy, so they can blame obama, and then have a better chance to defeat him, the problem is that the opposite has occured, Obama has saved our country from the state of despair in which he took over the oval office, from the worst president in history. Obama saved the auto industry, stopped the collapse of the economy. Like a great progressive, has shrunk government size and created millions of jobs in the private sector, captured bin laden, and deposed a hated dictator (kaddafy) without wasting lives, and spending an infimal amount of money in the process. The republicans will have to suck up another defeat, and they better get used to it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Great post.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I agree, but I would never call John McCain delirious, and I'm not cocky enough to ever call anyone who is running for the most powerful position in the world a moron.

I'm also old enough to remember when the Democratic party was in as much deep disarray as the Repubs are now, and I know how much the Dems changed over a long period of time to become once again re-united. It took some severe challenging inside the party to accomplish it, and those changes only came about when the Democrats were sick and tired of getting butt kickings.

The seeds of the divides in the Republican party were planted long ago, and were left un-addressed until they grew into real toxicity. All those problems were there in 2008, and they're worse now, but the party is not yet ready to be half unhappy. Until half of them are willing to give up some of their dearest beliefs to favor political practicality, the divisions will remain. Nobody will walk away fully happy if the party ever reconciles, but that's what needs to happen.

It's better to be slightly miserable than it is to be completely miserable. If the bitter rivalry between Clinton and Obama had not been healed at the convention, with Hillary fully throwing her support behind Obama, the results of the election could have been different. Obama needed the full support of his party to win over all the voters he got, but he made many mistakes along the way.

So did McCain. The only big difference was in the mistakes. McCain made some real big ones, and they got ahead of him, while Obama never made one that was big enough to sink him late in the game.

I doubt Obama will make similar mistakes this time. That is one thing that he's very good at- not repeating mistakes. Whether or not the voters will re-elect him is not a given in my mind, even though I believe he will win, and I am very sure Obama is not taking anything for granted.

I think we will have a very clear choice presented to us this time, just as there was in 2008. How we choose will be up to us; if most of us believe we're in the dawn of a brighter day, Obama will get his second term. If most of us believe we are ultimately doomed, and are fearful of the years ahead, Obama may lose.

Either way, I doubt very seriously that the Repubs will make the same mistakes McCain did. Looking back to 2008 as a predictor of what will happen 4 years later isn't going to offer any real clues, as 2008 was the most distinctive race in modern history.

Seeing an African-American, two women, a Mormon, and one of the oldest candidates to ever run for the top positions in our government is a thing that won't be repeated for a long time to come. 2008 set the ground rules for the 21st Century, and such a thing only happens once in 100 years.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree, but I would never call John McCain delirious, and I'm not cocky enough to ever call anyone who is running for the most powerful position in the world a moron.

I'm also old enough to remember when the Democratic party was in as much deep disarray as the Repubs are now, and I know how much the Dems changed over a long period of time to become once again re-united. It took some severe challenging inside the party to accomplish it, and those changes only came about when the Democrats were sick and tired of getting butt kickings.

The seeds of the divides in the Republican party were planted long ago, and were left un-addressed until they grew into real toxicity. All those problems were there in 2008, and they're worse now, but the party is not yet ready to be half unhappy. Until half of them are willing to give up some of their dearest beliefs to favor political practicality, the divisions will remain. Nobody will walk away fully happy if the party ever reconciles, but that's what needs to happen.

It's better to be slightly miserable than it is to be completely miserable. If the bitter rivalry between Clinton and Obama had not been healed at the convention, with Hillary fully throwing her support behind Obama, the results of the election could have been different. Obama needed the full support of his party to win over all the voters he got, but he made many mistakes along the way.

So did McCain. The only big difference was in the mistakes. McCain made some real big ones, and they got ahead of him, while Obama never made one that was big enough to sink him late in the game.

I doubt Obama will make similar mistakes this time. That is one thing that he's very good at- not repeating mistakes. Whether or not the voters will re-elect him is not a given in my mind, even though I believe he will win, and I am very sure Obama is not taking anything for granted.

I think we will have a very clear choice presented to us this time, just as there was in 2008. How we choose will be up to us; if most of us believe we're in the dawn of a brighter day, Obama will get his second term. If most of us believe we are ultimately doomed, and are fearful of the years ahead, Obama may lose.

Either way, I doubt very seriously that the Repubs will make the same mistakes McCain did. Looking back to 2008 as a predictor of what will happen 4 years later isn't going to offer any real clues, as 2008 was the most distinctive race in modern history.

Seeing an African-American, two women, a Mormon, and one of the oldest candidates to ever run for the top positions in our government is a thing that won't be repeated for a long time to come. 2008 set the ground rules for the 21st Century, and such a thing only happens once in 100 years.
Unless there is something equal to a miracle, i.e. a strong recovery of the economy, gas prices not hitting the predicted $5.00 a gallion this spring, which will kill the recovery, AGAIN, etc. ...I can't believe BO can or will be re-elected.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Unless there is something equal to a miracle, i.e. a strong recovery of the economy, gas prices not hitting the predicted $5.00 a gallion this spring, which will kill the recovery, AGAIN, etc. ...I can't believe BO can or will be re-elected.
Please present the reasons you have.

We will probably be looking at $5 gas sometime in the near future. Big gas price jumps happened during the Bush years and have happened in Obama's first term as well. But $4 gas, a 30 day jump from $1.85, didn't help McCain, even with Palin running as the 'petroleum expert'.

We have all come to expect the prices are going to go up, then down, but never as far down as they'll go up during the next round. We moan and groan, but the fact is the government can't do much about controlling the price of an international commodity. I believe that we know this, even though we hate it. We are expecting it, and are used to it now. it's inevitable.

So- what else have you got for a reason?

The economy is already steadily improving. Not as much as we all would like, but we're slowly climbing back out of the hole. How much it improves is a matter of whether a person is an optimist right now or a pessimist- it's half empty or half full.

Do you honestly think that the voters will go for an untried newbie this year? Promises are one thing, but performance is another. Obama has failed on some of his promises, but he has kept as many. You don't have to acknowledge this, but it is still true, and I think the majority know this.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Ever since Barrack beat a delirious McCain
Well, I think the word "delirious" gives you a clue as
to the competition Obama faced

I'm a Dr Paul supporter, and he could eat up
Obama in his sleep

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree, but I would never call John McCain delirious
REALLY

John McCain's Greatest Gaffes and Misspeaks - YouTube

Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
I'd prefer anarchy opposed to the state we are heading.....

Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
has shrunk government size .

Well, that's the first lie......

http://www2.census.gov/govs/apes/10fedfun.pdf

http://www2.census.gov/govs/apes/09fedfun.pdf

2009 vs 2010....you can do the math....

Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Lightbulb Republicans have no chance in November

It does look that way right now, but it's still more than eight months to election day and a lot can happen in that span of time. It kind of reminds me of 1996, when the GOP practically ceded to Clinton. Maybe they again recognize that this isn't their year and that's why their candidates are such a collection of creeps, with the exception of Paul, who they cast aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections