Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,202 times

Advertisements

I'm so sick of this anti-Romney bias in the media. I know this is probably a controversial claim, but trust me, it's there. I think it's unfair that there is no pressure on Santorum to release his taxes after all that crap they gave Romney. Santorum is a millionaire, he's just as disconnected from the average American as anyone else running for president. I'm not saying there isn't a large quantity of money separating Romney and Santorum, but when we're talking 7 figures or more, that is irrelevant since no one worth more than $1 million dollars can relate to the "average American". Yet we don't hear about any other candidates wealth. This is the last straw for me on a laundry list of ways the media downplays Romney's candidacy. Every time he wins something, it's never "by enough" and shows "what a weak frontrunner he is." Heck even after Florida, which he won decisively, the media still had to throw in that "he still got less than half the vote," never mind that it was a four-man race. For an early primary contest, that was a big win. He wins CPAC, yet I see headlines about how "CPAC voters are divided" because Romney didn't win by that uch, or that he cheated by paying for his supporters tickets. Isn't that what you're supposed to do for CPAC?? The articles don't mention that that's standard practice, they just make it look like Romney bought CPAC. I listened to his CPAC speech, he got roaring applause, and all that was reported on was that he used a somewhat awkward adverb (I'm fairly certain he said it by mistake when he meant to say seriously, strictly, strongly, etc. As if we all haven't done that). Are you serious?

This study from GMU seems to confirm what I've noticed even though it is a month old. Based on what I've been seeing, it appears nothing has changed, although I have only my above anecdotal evidence to confirm that.
CMPA: TV News Bashes Romney, Boosts Horse Race

To all Ron Paul supporters: I will be the first to concede that Romney's treatment by the media is like royalty compared to Ron Paul, but I stand by everything I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,619 times
Santorum is their last hope. The neocons don't want a Mormon as a candidate, so they're going to try to force Ricky on everyone. I wouldn't worry. Romney still has a far greater chance at winning than Santorie.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I'm so sick of this anti-Romney bias in the media.
I see things differently, than you. I see Mitt Romney receiving very fair and balanced coverage. A lot of coverage. Whatever he wants to say, when he wants to say it ... I think he's being offered the opportunity.

What the "media" talks about, when speaking of Romney, is what he says in his speeches, interviews and debates. And about his record, which is "on the record" from his previous positions in government and in the private sector.

This is hardly "anti-Romney."

Some people don't like the public reaction their favored candidate receives, because of what they say or do. So, they strike-out at the messenger. The "media."

If Mitt Romney is upset about the "bias" he perceives he's on the receiving end of he should stand in front of the bathroom mirror one morning and say to himself, "Cut it out." It starts and stops with him.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Santorum is their last hope. The neocons don't want a Mormon as a candidate, so they're going to try to force Ricky on everyone. I wouldn't worry. Romney still has a far greater chance at winning than Santorie.
More like Santorum is Obama's last hope. They know Romney has the best chance of beating their candidate, so of course the media only gives him unfavorable press.

The Fourth Estate is dead and it has been dead for a long time.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
More like Santorum is Obama's last hope. They know Romney has the best chance of beating their candidate, so of course the media only gives him unfavorable press.

The Fourth Estate is dead and it has been dead for a long time.
Romney is getting the scrutiny he deserves. If he can't cut it, he doesn't belong in the WH.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I see things differently, than you. I see Mitt Romney receiving very fair and balanced coverage. A lot of coverage. Whatever he wants to say, when he wants to say it ... I think he's being offered the opportunity.

What the "media" talks about, when speaking of Romney, is what he says in his speeches, interviews and debates. And about his record, which is "on the record" from his previous positions in government and in the private sector.

This is hardly "anti-Romney."

Some people don't like the public reaction their favored candidate receives, because of what they say or do. So, they strike-out at the messenger. The "media."

If Mitt Romney is upset about the "bias" he perceives he's on the receiving end of he should stand in front of the bathroom mirror one morning and say to himself, "Cut it out." It starts and stops with him.

The statistics and studies do not go along with what you are saying. Did you look at the study the OP posted? Mitt Romney receives more negative coverage than any other candidate has...most of it on Fox News. If that doesn' make some on the Repubican side wonder what the heck is going on, I am not sure anything does. Just because you are getting media attention does not mean it is positive or helpful. Romney also gets bashed daily by Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin and Laura Ingraham on the right wing radio. I really don't know how he is doing as well as he is.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM

I'm really most surprised by Fox's treatment of Romney. I'm not surprised that the other networks would push Santorum/Newt/FlavorOfTheMonthCandidate to give Obama an easy win.

Romney does say some stupid things (ie - comments about firing, the very poor, etc) that make a lot of sense in context, but are fair game as soundbites. But what if he made the comments Santorum did about women, and serving on the front lines, and emotions and all that? Can you imagine how much the media would have jumped on him for that?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Romney is getting the scrutiny he deserves. If he can't cut it, he doesn't belong in the WH.
I don't recall Obama getting this sort of scrutiny. He only got it from Fox News, which he publicly feuded with towards the beginning of his presidency since he didn't like the tough questions

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
I'm so sick of this anti-Romney bias in the media. I know this is probably a controversial claim, but trust me, it's there. I think it's unfair that there is no pressure on Santorum to release his taxes after all that crap they gave Romney. Santorum is a millionaire, he's just as disconnected from the average American as anyone else running for president. I'm not saying there isn't a large quantity of money separating Romney and Santorum, but when we're talking 7 figures or more, that is irrelevant since no one worth more than $1 million dollars can relate to the "average American". Yet we don't hear about any other candidates wealth. This is the last straw for me on a laundry list of ways the media downplays Romney's candidacy. Every time he wins something, it's never "by enough" and shows "what a weak frontrunner he is." Heck even after Florida, which he won decisively, the media still had to throw in that "he still got less than half the vote," never mind that it was a four-man race. For an early primary contest, that was a big win. He wins CPAC, yet I see headlines about how "CPAC voters are divided" because Romney didn't win by that uch, or that he cheated by paying for his supporters tickets. Isn't that what you're supposed to do for CPAC?? The articles don't mention that that's standard practice, they just make it look like Romney bought CPAC. I listened to his CPAC speech, he got roaring applause, and all that was reported on was that he used a somewhat awkward adverb (I'm fairly certain he said it by mistake when he meant to say seriously, strictly, strongly, etc. As if we all haven't done that). Are you serious?

This study from GMU seems to confirm what I've noticed even though it is a month old. Based on what I've been seeing, it appears nothing has changed, although I have only my above anecdotal evidence to confirm that.
CMPA: TV News Bashes Romney, Boosts Horse Race

To all Ron Paul supporters: I will be the first to concede that Romney's treatment by the media is like royalty compared to Ron Paul, but I stand by everything I said.
I used to watch 4 - 5 hours of Fox News a day. There was so much pro-Romney bias on there, I wanted to puke. I'm lucky if I watch one hour of it now. I don't watch the other TV News channels but I have to say, the reason Romney is probably "being targeted" is because the Republican Machine through their media mouthpieces let everyone know he was "inevitable." So, why waste your time on the other guys.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
I don't recall Obama getting this sort of scrutiny. He only got it from Fox News, which he publicly feuded with towards the beginning of his presidency since he didn't like the tough questions

Seriously?? The media jumped on Obama for things that someone else said. His pastor made a bad sermon and suddenly Obama had to give an explanation. He had coffee with a guy who got out of prison twenty years ago and the media jumped on it. He even had to face things that were purely made up - being Muslin, not born in America, fake certificate.

No one is digging thru Romney's Mormon Church's sermon (or whatever Mormons call sermon) to find dirt. No one asked Romney to explain the Mormon Underwear. Romney only has to explain things that he said and things that he did. Obama had to explain things that someone else said and someone else did or things that just didn't happened. Obama wished he had as easy a ride as Romney.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections