Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You got that right, of course or from voter intimidation/ Now we all kinow that does exist. I put nothing past this administration. No penny from me at all, one penny too much.

No worries....I will be writing checks to both the Obama campaign AND to his Super PAC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yeah ok tell that to sweenie, don't exist. If you honest to God feel that only Republicians are responsible for the economy. You don't live in the real world!
You're right, of course. Both parties had a hand in the economic meltdown.

GOP 85%

Dems 15%

Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The agreement to end the war was signed in 2008. Obama is not the one who "ended" the war in Iraq. Go look up SOFA.

I have several friends who came bak from Iraq in November and are going to Afghanistan by the end of this month.

Bring the troops home my a$$
That doesn't matter one whit to the average voter. Obama said he would get the troops out of Iraq, and he did. That's all they know and care about. He has already announced a withdrawal date for Afghanistan, and he will pull them out at that time, too.

Take it to the bank.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One of them is the little old lifelong Republican lady who is my next door neighbor. After her grandson got shot up in Iraq, she had enough of Bush, and voted for Obama, the first vote she ever cast for a Democrat.
And then, Obama did what he said and ended the Iraqi occupation. She sent his campaign fund $50 the day the first troops left. And so did her now-discharged grandson.
I bet that's happened a lot.

I wonder how many Republicans switched to Democrat due to Bush and Iraq?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This great President has solid support. Pubs are in serious trouble.

Barack Obama Reelection Raising More From Small Donors Than In 2008
Why is he going to start taxing Pubs now?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
The agreement to end the war was signed in 2008. Obama is not the one who "ended" the war in Iraq. Go look up SOFA.

I have several friends who came bak from Iraq in November and are going to Afghanistan by the end of this month.

Republicans criticized and ridiculed Obama for not forging a deal with Iraq to keep our troops there longer. Including the man who would be president had Obama lost in 2008. That woman has cause to thank Obama.

McCain: Iraq Withdrawal a ‘Serious Mistake’ - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I bet that's happened a lot.

I wonder how many Republicans switched to Democrat due to Bush and Iraq?
I don't know. But on my street, my neighbor directly across the street from me has a daughter whose husband went to Iraq. He returned safely and uninjured, and while he was gone, I talked to the young lady several times.
She went from worry to real despair before he came back home. The last time we talked, he was coming home soon, and his enlistment was up.

I asked if he planned to re-enlist, and she said she would not let him. She was prepared to divorce him and take their daughter before she would go through that again.

There came a time in Iraq when our army nearly broke during 2006 and 2007, and I think her attitude was very common among the military wives of that time. I think that a lot of the soldiers got out when they could at that time. He was one of them.
Things got better after Gen. Petraeus' big troop build-up late in 2008, and morale vastly improved with it.

2008 was also the year that Bush finally set a date for withdrawal- 2011, on Petraeus' recommendation. Rumsfeld was a total disaster as Sec. of Defense; while I never liked Bush, I have to give him credit for finally snapping out of it and firing Rumsfeld before the occupation became unwinnable, as it did in Viet Nam.

Bush was a different and better President the last 18 months in office. As a student of history, I think he finally realized just how much of a mess his hubris had created; Katrina may have been the event- who knows?

It all the more ironic to me that he was pimp-slapped by the banking collapse. I think he believed that he would leave office on a higher note, and got sandbagged right at the very end, with only a month left. It set his fate as being one of the worst Presidents forever. And that's possibly a reason he has laid low ever since.

In time, he may find a way to redeem himself, as Carter and Clinton did.

But I think he will never accept the destruction of his party that Rove, Cheney, and all of the other neo-cons in his administration put into motion. This may well prove to be his enduring legacy.

This is one big contrast between Obama and Bush. Bush was never the leader of his party as President, and Obama is.
The Republicans looked to Rove as leader, and the Democrats look to Obama as leader.

Obama got all the small donors in 2008 partly as a display of folk's revulsion at the way Big Money was running the Republicans, and his voters have not abandoned him nearly as much as the conservatives have convinced themselves. His small donations are running stronger now than in 2008 as proof.
When a voter contributes some money, no matter how small the amount, that's putting skin in the game. Watch the small donation amounts if you really want to know how a candidate is doing- those folks will definitely vote for the person who got a contribution from them.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-20-2012 at 02:03 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:

This is SO CLASSIC BO spin!

And Heh, Iran will soon take it's place so.

BO definitely has the money. Look at his financial ranking, and amts. Goldman Sachs still managed to make it. Interesting that the campaign has so much debt, might explain alot.... LOL. Notice RP doesn't have any.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/index.php

Last edited by CDusr; 02-20-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
That doesn't matter one whit to the average voter. Obama said he would get the troops out of Iraq, and he did. That's all they know and care about. He has already announced a withdrawal date for Afghanistan, and he will pull them out at that time, too.

Take it to the bank.
Take it to the bank

Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Obama got all the small donors in 2008 partly as a display of folk's revulsion at the way Big Money was running the Republicans, and his voters have not abandoned him nearly as much as the conservatives have convinced themselves. His small donations are running stronger now than in 2008 as proof.

When a voter contributes some money, no matter how small the amount, that's putting skin in the game. Watch the small donation amounts if you really want to know how a candidate is doing- those folks will definitely vote for the person who got a contribution from them.
This.^^^

"It’s no secret that, as far as frontrunners go, Mitt Romney’s never exactly set the grassroots on fire. But his latest fundraising numbers drive home just how weak his small donor appeal is compared to his rivals — and especially President Obama.

As you can see, Romney is the clear anomaly by a long shot, raising nearly 90 percent of his total haul from larger contributions. By contrast, only around 40% of Obama’s donations are from individuals who have given more than $200 total and his smaller contributors alone raised more money in total than Romney’s entire fundraising operation."

"But the real worry for Romney is maxed out donors, who have given the $2,500 limit to his primary run and can no longer legally contribute. The chart below shows what percentage of each candidate’s total cash as of the start of 2012 came from top dollar donations."

"Once again, Romney stands out big time, with 67% of his overall money derived from max donors. And after turning in a weaker than expected $6.5 million haul for January while burning through $18.8 million in expenses, wealthy backers tapping out may be a real problem."

Two Charts That Should Make Romney Gulp | TPM2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections