Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

For those who haven't seen this website or heard the true story of Romney transporting a family dog in a crate tied to the top of the car for 12 hours and then abandoned the dog "living with a nice farmer," here's the website. The Super Pack is somewhat tongue in cheek, but the event was real and it bites the big one.
dogsagainstromney.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
What our fascination with Mitt Romney?s dog says about our culture - Boston.com

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Default Dogs Against Romney - and did Mittens lie about Seamus' fate?

Although this group has been around since 2007 (and I apparently missed another thread about it, which was subsequently closed), I just found out about them yesterday.

Dogs Against Romney

They have cute bumper stickers (and t-shirts and other merchandise) reflecting Mittens' cruel and unusual treatment of his Irish setter, Seamus.

I ordered two of the bumper stickers - "I ride inside" - with the Border collie on it. All the bumper stickers are "custom," with whatever breed you might want on it. Since I have Border collies, and my female - Scout - not only gets to ride in the car, she doesn't want to get out once we get home, choosing the B.C. image was a no-brainer.

Also, there is some indication now that Mittens lied about what really happened to Seamus after that trip. The claim has been made that Seamus went on to live to a ripe old age but there is now some indication that that was a big, fat LIE - that Seamus ran away from the family when they reached their Canadian destination.

Did Romney's Dog Run Away When It Got to Canada? - Forbes

Quote:
One of the things Mitt Romney is famous for, along with inventing Obamacare and paying taxes at a very low rate, is driving to Canada with his pet dog strapped to the top of the car. We now hear that when dog and car reached Canada, the dog ran away, understandably.
Quote:
According to a trusted . . . tipster, two of Mr. Romney’s sons had an off-record conversation with reporters where they revealed the dog ran away when they reached their destination on that infamous journey in 1983. Mr. Romney’s wife, Ann, has previously said Seamus survived the trip and went on to live to a “ripe old age.”

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It makes sense if the dog did run away. I've seen more than one dog give up on an abusive owner and split.

If Mitt has just said "I was younger, and made a mistake.", all of this would be long gone by now. But with millions of pet fanciers, and the pet industry pulling in a couple of billion a year, this is now the tail that's wagging the campaign dog.

Stuff like this makes and breaks candidates. Nixon was all washed up in 1954 before his Checkers speech- he had been nailed for corruption, and defended the gift of his cocker spaniel to his kids. The voters connected more to the dog than the corruption. $35.00 dog, $3500 in shady deals. Somebody got the best deal of their life for that chump change.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It makes sense if the dog did run away. I've seen more than one dog give up on an abusive owner and split.

If Mitt has just said "I was younger, and made a mistake.", all of this would be long gone by now. But with millions of pet fanciers, and the pet industry pulling in a couple of billion a year, this is now the tail that's wagging the campaign dog.

This.

I have never seen or heard of even the slightest bit of remorse over this incident. From any of the Romneys.

In fact, it's just the opposite - it's treated like some kind of family joke.

Ha Ha

People are still going to say, "It's just a dog," but I think it's just more and the same of the Mittens persona - total lack of empathy or compassion.

There are a lot of reasons to not vote for Mittens, but being an animal abuser is right at the top of my list.

I wonder if Bo, the First Dog, gets strapped to the top of Air Force One?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
I tell everyone who will listen, and even the ones that won't, about Romney's animal abuse. I won't say on this board what I hope happens to him when it's his time to go.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
None of my dogs are old enough to vote.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This.

People are still going to say, "It's just a dog," but I think it's just more and the same of the Mittens persona - total lack of empathy or compassion.
Romney is task-oriented, not people (or pet) oriented. He was presented with a problem- how to get his dog from MA to Canada- and this was his solution. It was a "success", in the sense that it worked. But the health, safety, and welfare of poor Seamus didn't enter into the equation.

If you study Romney's record, this kind of reasoning explains all those dealings at Bain, too. Romney's job was neither to hire, or lay off workers, it was to MAKE MONEY FOR BAIN. So he took whatever path to that goal he had to. Sometimes that meant Americans kept their jobs, sometimes it meant Americans lost their jobs.

It literally makes no difference to him- whatever the issue is, people and their needs are just not part of the equation for Romney.

Should Romney get elected, I think he'd make a very odd president.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Saw a comment in the NYT today that referred to Romney being "Roofboarded."

Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Saw a comment in the NYT today that referred to Romney being "Roofboarded."
And who owns the NYT????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections