U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
And Obama is responsible for the Gas Prices and unrest in the middle east ...how?..... Like Bush was responsible when gas prices went over $4.00 a Gallon during his Republican administration??????????????
Obama was supposed to fix all that. Remember?

It ain't fixed. Middle east hates us more than ever, gas prices are still terrible and getting worse, unemployment is still at beyond terrible rates.

You see, if Barack Obama gets credit for everything that goes right, he also gets blame for everything that goes wrong. IMHO, the Dow hitting 13,000 is irrelevant to the middle class, but I'm sure Wall Street fat cats are very happy. From what I've seen of him in action, those are the people he actually cares about. Sure he offers lip service to us lowly folk who have to work for a living, but only the very wealthy have gotten any love from this President.

The Dow is soaring and it's not helping the middle class. The Dow has been booming for the last couple years but the unemployment rate has remained awful and the actual unemployment levels are beyond terrible. Thanks for that Mr Obama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, you wish it were so, but you know better. Presidents don't have that kind of power. Bush got more blame than he deserved and Obama will get more credit (and re-elected).
Very true that presidents don't have that sort of power. I suppose that's why it's kinda fun to joke about. It's almost like predicting your future based on the stars. They have nothing whatsoever to do with what your future will hold, but countless people believe otherwise. That's why it's just fun to say that George W did it. The Dems have told us for the last 3 years that everything wrong in the nation was all George W's fault. So I say we give the man some love and give him credit for fixing the economy.

Now Ron Paul with a cooperative Congress would have a tremendous economic impact. Still, in the long run, the economy goes back to doing what it does and US Presidents will go back to being blamed or credited for it. It's been especially true since Herbert Hoover's presidency.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,137,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

It ain't fixed. Middle east hates us more than ever, gas prices are still terrible and getting worse, unemployment is still at beyond terrible rates.

You see, if Barack Obama gets credit for everything that goes right, he also gets blame for everything that goes wrong. IMHO, the Dow hitting 13,000 is irrelevant to the middle class, but I'm sure Wall Street fat cats are very happy. From what I've seen of him in action, those are the people he actually cares about. Sure he offers lip service to us lowly folk who have to work for a living, but only the very wealthy have gotten any love from this President.

The Dow is soaring and it's not helping the middle class. The Dow has been booming for the last couple years but the unemployment rate has remained awful and the actual unemployment levels are beyond terrible. Thanks for that Mr Obama!
snap.

you better believe that the very wealthy will continue to get a lot of love from obama in an election year-hence, no tax increases-except on people who tan.

really, all obama has done for a plan is SPEND. nice video here:

Felonious Munk Presents: Stop It B! OBAMA PAY YOUR &*%$#% BILLS - YouTube

you're the leader. i am following.

you don't pay, i don't pay.

gotta love somebody calling obama out for the spending.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
snap.

You better believe that the very wealthy will continue to get a lot of love from obama in an election year-hence, no tax increases-except on people who tan.

really, all obama has done for a plan is spend. Nice video here:

felonious munk presents: Stop it b! Obama pay your &*%$#% bills - youtube

you're the leader. I am following.

You don't pay, i don't pay.

Gotta love somebody calling obama out for the spending.
THAT. Was. AWESOME!!!

Apparently, I can't rep you again ... but I want to.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,706,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, you wish it were so, but you know better. Presidents don't have that kind of power. Bush got more blame than he deserved and Obama will get more credit (and re-elected).
This be it exactly. Impact of policies on the economy are very difficult to quantify as it is just too complex a system. Obama might have helped get us out of a recession, or Obama might have made the recession worse who really knows it can be argued all day. Bottom line though he will likely benefit from the timing of economic cycle and ride the improving economy during the election.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,137,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This be it exactly. Impact of policies on the economy are very difficult to quantify as it is just too complex a system. Obama might have helped get us out of a recession, or Obama might have made the recession worse who really knows it can be argued all day. Bottom line though he will likely benefit from the timing of economic cycle and ride the improving economy during the election.
i don't think there is any argument that spending money you don't have fixes anything.

what will happen after all those tax refunds have been spent? what next?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 AM

9,038 posts, read 14,318,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Bottom Line - Wall Street closes mixed after Dow tops 13,000 (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/21/10466512-wall-street-closes-mixed-after-dow-tops-13000 - broken link)

You still want to say Obama is not doing jack the facts are the facts the economy is moving in the right direction
The stock market would have to be 30,000 to exceed the rate at which the dollar is losing purchasing power. A Dow Jones industrial average of 13,000 is nothing to write home about. Just in the last 2 weeks, the price of some food that I buy at the grocery store has gone up 25%! A Dow that is up 18 percent or so in the past year means we are still 7 percent behind where we were a year ago and way WAY behind where we were 3 years ago!

Just look at Gas prices for Pete's Sake!

Sorry. Obama gets ZERO credit -- even lower than zero credit ---if that were possible for any "improvement" in the economy. His policies have made the economy WORSE. We'd have been better off if he'd just done NOTHING and not ADD to the damage that Bush had already done.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Frankly, it makes very little difference what the Dow Jones does. All types of unemployment indicators + relative annual salary adjusted for inflation + cost of living -- this is where you find out how well this president's administration has been. And the reality is, it's three years of complete misery going on four.

You can't blame just one presidency for it. The seeds for all the misery have been planted bit by bit ever since FDR. The point is that it's time to go a different direction. Obama, Romney, Santorum and Gingrich do not represent a different direction. They are just different forms of the same thing that got us where we are today. Economically, the GOP is more sane by a tiny degree. They might actually balance the budget, while the Dems never will. In terms of foreign policy, the Dems were slightly more sane, but Obama kinda trashed the little credibility the Dems had. But before him the Dems tended to be more careful and calculated even if they did play the same game of worldwide bully that the GOP did.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,888,144 times
Obama has little to do with the way people trade on the market, or what's being traded... though depending on who's making threats, it could affect prices of commodities.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM

18,151 posts, read 10,132,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

THe rising market helps anyone who has money invested in 401Ks or IRAs, unless they opted out of the stock options for their investments. I am as middle class as they come, and I have done very well, indeed in the past year.

The only thing that will help the growth of the middle class is a rise in the number of available jobs that pay a living wage, which is difficult to achieve with the current policies of many companies to pursue the outsourcing of labor.

Perhaps the answer is going to have to be to either mandate that employers have at least three-quarters of their workforce employed stateside, pay duties/taxes/embargoes to bring their goods in line with domestic goods, move their bases of operation out of America if they don't want to be American companies, or a combination of the three.

Popular solution? Probably not with businesses that bring cheap goods from overseas, but a necessary move, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or