Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,678,226 times

Advertisements

Some Republicans whisper about a plan B – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
That being said, it's clear Rick Santorum's recent rise in the polls - and what some see as his electability problems - has struck a nerve with Republicans.

"There is something called agenda control," said one unaffiliated GOP strategist. "Santorum does not have it. Instead of talking about the economy, he's been going down rabbit holes for the last four or five days."
Santorum is for big government and he's being a whacko about it.

Quote:
And Santorum's surging candidacy is not the only concern for senior Republicans. Mitt Romney's inability to close the deal has also raised eyebrows - and angst. And the anxiety will only intensify should Romney lose his home state of Michigan in the primary on February 28, several senior Republicans told CNN.

"Michigan is the whole shooting match," said one senior GOP strategist not aligned with a campaign. Says another: "If Romney loses Michigan, all hell breaks loose."

The writing was on the wall months ago. The voters have issues with each GOP candidates left in the race. Gingrinch is the serial hypocrite, Romney flip flops and is beholden to crony capitalism, Ron Paul is "too old and nuts", while Santorum's religious views is scaring the crap out of people. The longer the GOP race drags on, the more attractive Jon Hunstman looked before he dropped out months ago.

The GOP screwed up big time and they are in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,897,317 times
Like the Fonz says: I don't have a plan B because I don't need a plan B.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Some Republicans whisper about a plan B – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Santorum is for big government and he's being a whacko about it.

The writing was on the wall months ago. The voters have issues with each GOP candidates left in the race. Gingrinch is the serial hypocrite, Romney flip flops and is beholden to crony capitalism, Ron Paul is "too old and nuts", while Santorum's religious views is scaring the crap out of people. The longer the GOP race drags on, the more attractive Jon Hunstman looked before he dropped out months ago.

who is in denial? I think most, including us Republicans are not thrilled with our choices, but they are better than what we have. BTW, Gingrinch has ideas, he may not be personably very likeblby but I am not sure where you get the hypocrite business. Romney does flip flop, some of it is hard to take, some is simply changing of ones mind, most people as they mature do change some of their views: Paul certainly has age against him and is showing it daily, but he isn't nuts, I may not be able to buy into all he stands for, but I do not think he is nuts and Santorum, who is to the right on social issues (to much so) isn't going to do anything to hurt the country if he were to win, which is unlikely. His views are just that, views, nothing he could vote into law.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,499,246 times
Huntsman was too far "left" to draw in the people who support Gingrich and Santorum anyway.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,463,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
It's why we're seeing/hearing the indications of the possibility of a brokered convention. None of the remaining contenders has the strength to seriously challenge President Obama. Someone new has to enter the race, without the baggage displayed thus far. Jeb Bush. That's my thought.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,536,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It's why we're seeing/hearing the indications of the possibility of a brokered convention. None of the remaining contenders has the strength to seriously challenge President Obama. Someone new has to enter the race, without the baggage displayed thus far. Jeb Bush. That's my thought.
I would really like Palin to be part of any brokered deal. SNL was extremely funny back in 2008. A Jeb / Palin ticket should give the SNL writers a lot to work with.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,175,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Huntsman was too far "left" to draw in the people who support Gingrich and Santorum anyway.
Actually, Huntsman supported most of the Ryan plan, which makes him more fiscally conservative than anyone else in the race--he's just not a social conservative. My husband and I were Huntsman supporters early on.

I got shouted down on this board when I said, early in the primary, that we had really bad choices this time around. I'm hoping that Romney can pull it off, because my concerns with him aren't that he's a bad or crazy person (like some of the others), but that he's a very flawed candidate--there's a difference. I was worried that the Democrats would be able to rip him to shreds, but I never expected it to happen during the primary, by other republicans, vs. in the general.

As for having a brokered convention--that doesn't mean that a new candidate has to enter the race, and if I were a Jeb Bush, I wouldn't come near this mess. I would personally love it if Jeb were to run, but it looks like he may be very serious about 2016, and this dog and pony show would not help his chances later.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who is in denial? I think most, including us Republicans are not thrilled with our choices, but they are better than what we have. BTW, Gingrinch has ideas, he may not be personably very likeblby but I am not sure where you get the hypocrite business. Romney does flip flop, some of it is hard to take, some is simply changing of ones mind, most people as they mature do change some of their views: Paul certainly has age against him and is showing it daily, but he isn't nuts, I may not be able to buy into all he stands for, but I do not think he is nuts and Santorum, who is to the right on social issues (to much so) isn't going to do anything to hurt the country if he were to win, which is unlikely. His views are just that, views, nothing he could vote into law.
So... who are you going to vote for?

It's safe to say that the GOP base is undecided and they have no sense of direction.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,209,825 times
Sarah Palin?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Jeb Bush carries a lot of baggage simply due his last name alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections