Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,472 times

Advertisements

Now Franklin Graham has backtracked on his statements. This phony certainly isn't the man his father is. Maybe now he'll learn to keep his mouth shut on such matters.

Franklin Graham clarifies remarks on Obama’s faith – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can see both points of view here, but I'm going to add a third one. I agree that he definitely did not call Mormonism a cult. I guess Mormons should appreciate that. He also did not come right out and say that he doesn't personally believe that Romney is a Christian. On the other hand, he certainly could have cleared up the matter once and for all (with respect to his personal opinion, that is) by being a little less vague.

The problem, as Mormons see it, is that even when the word "cult" is not used, when non-LDS Christians say that Mormons are not Christians, what that tells people is that Mormons do not believe that Jesus Christ is the divine Son of God, that Jesus Christ was born to a Virgin in Bethlehem, that He performed all of the miracles described in the New Testament, that He was tortured and killed to atone for the sins of mankind, that He was resurrected, being the first person ever to overcome death, and that He reigns in Heaven today with the Father -- when, in fact, we do believe all of those things. I wonder how any Christian who believes those things would feel if he were constantly being told he wasn't a Christian.
The insanity of the matter is this: Everything in bold is exactly what the vast majority of Christians think of when the world "Christian" comes up.

What the ministers of religion, priests, pastors, etc are referencing: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not accept to decisions made at the First Council of Nicea in 325 AD -- an event that occurred about 300 years after Jesus of Nazareth was killed, resurrected and ascended into heaven.

The 300 year time gap is bad enough. But this approach is more than a little disingenuous since the vast majority of Protestants to not accept Nicea 1 in it's entirety.

Frankly, ministers parroting the claim, "Mormon's aren't Christians" are cowards. They throw out the statement without explanation or qualification. The vast majority of their followers would not even begin comprehend their explanation , much less agree with it. Their case for making this statement is that pathetic.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I find it interesting that so many evangelical Christians have no qualms supporting a Catholic but not a Mormon. Actually, the Mormon religion has much more in common in practice than the Catholic religion does.
Every other major Christian denomination recognizes the Catholic church as a legitimate part of the apostolic tradition and vice versa, but not LDS. That's all Graham was getting at.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
These comments are stupid and have no place in politics.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
It appears that Rev. Franklin Graham is the arbiter of who can be considered Christian and who cannot, according to a recent interview: Rev. Franklin Graham Questions Obama’s, Romney’s Christian Faith - Washington Wire - WSJ

Even though he met with President Obama, who discussed his Christian faith, the good Reverend has "no idea what he really believes," but could be a "son of Islam."

When asked about Mitt Romney, Graham said "He’s a Mormon. Most Christians would not recognize Mormonism as part of the Christian faith."

But Rick Santorum's Christianity must be intuitively obvious because there is "no question about it … I think he is, no question, a man of faith."

So is Franklin Graham:

A) Applying a double-standard.

B) Prejudiced against anyone who doesn't subscribe to his particular narrow interpretation of Christianity

C) Hypocritical

D) All of the Above

I vote pie.

Graham is no authority on who is and who is not a Christian, or any other faith for that matter.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Every other major Christian denomination recognizes the Catholic church as a legitimate part of the apostolic tradition and vice versa, but not LDS. That's all Graham was getting at.
Huh? Could you please rephrase that?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I vote pie.

Graham is no authority on who is and who is not a Christian, or any other faith for that matter.
Well if any human is qualified to talk about what bieng a Christian is about, I cant think of another that would be more so.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am pretty sure that Franklin Graham was misrepresented in this article and did not say who was or wasn't a Christian. He would not do that and I have heard him say he would have no problem voting for Mitt Romney and does not have an issue wiith his being LDS.

He wasn't misrepresented. There is a video out there from his appearance on The Morning Joe show where he says exactly what is outlined in the OP.

Anyone who has confessed Jesus Christ to be his or her Lord and Savior is a Christian. Period. End of story.

To suggest otherwise is the height of arrogance.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well if any human is qualified to talk about what bieng a Christian is about, I cant think of another that would be more so.
I'm curious as to why you would think he is any more qualified in that regard than any other Christian.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
He wasn't misrepresented. There is a video out there from his appearance on The Morning Joe show where he says exactly what is outlined in the OP.

Anyone who has confessed Jesus Christ to be his or her Lord and Savior is a Christian. Period. End of story.

To suggest otherwise is the height of arrogance
Are the words I highlighted Grahams quote or is that you speaking? Which ever, it is exactly right and no one really knows anothers heart, we can only judge by their actions and behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections