Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

You know what? I'm a Mormon and I'm a Christian, and the only opinion I care about with respect to whether or not Mormons are Christians is God's. When I stand before God to be judged, he's not going to be asking for Franklin Graham's input or anybody else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I heard excerpts on the radio and then read the article. Maybe I didn't get the full story. I just get so tired of ultra-right Evangelicals hijacking the republican party. Maybe Reverend Graham not one of those, and maybe he's not so extreme as some. Maybe I'm hypersensitive.

I will say at least he didn't tell people not to vote for Obama or Romney. At the same time, why is it Evangelicals can't take people at their word and accept that if people claim a belief in Christ they are Christian, even if they disagree on some doctrine? At the very least, there is a figurative asterisk next to those who don't fully qualify in their view. At the very most, there is outright disdain and prejudice.

Most evengelicals do not question other faith's Christianity. It is just a small percentage that have that bigotry.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 8,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I heard excerpts on the radio and then read the article. Maybe I didn't get the full story. I just get so tired of ultra-right Evangelicals hijacking the republican party. Maybe Reverend Graham not one of those, and maybe he's not so extreme as some. Maybe I'm hypersensitive.

I will say at least he didn't tell people not to vote for Obama or Romney. At the same time, why is it Evangelicals can't take people at their word and accept that if people claim a belief in Christ they are Christian, even if they disagree on some doctrine? At the very least, there is a figurative asterisk next to those who don't fully qualify in their view. At the very most, there is outright disdain and prejudice.
Hijacking the Republican Party? Also the idea that they are just supposed to accept anyone that claims to be a Christian is outrageous. Anyone can claim to be something, heck I could claim to be rich! Claiming to be something is easy, a simple action on the surface. The Christian faith is not based on simple claims of belief; it’s based on the foundation, belief, and acceptance of a very detailed and exact set of doctrines and beliefs. The fact that he said most Christian would not consider Mormonism Christian means that most would say Mormonism’s beliefs and doctrines do not match those of true Christianity which have been accepted and understood as basically the benchmarks of the Christian faith.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Most evengelicals do not question other faith's Christianity. It is just a small percentage that have that bigotry.
Another faith's Christianity? Christianity is a faith in itself is it not?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Did you watch the interview on Morning Joe????

He was very evasive about whether or not he thinks mormonism (as he called it) is "christian." He did say that "most" christians would not recognize "mormonism" as part of the christian faith.

He said it. If you think he's been misrepresented in the article, then I suggest you watch the interview in its entirety. You can find it here:

Morning Joe

He did not say that he thought Mitt Romney was or was not a Christian. He said that most Judeo Christians do not recognize Mormons as Christians...which is not actually correct, because LDS religion is classified as a Christian religion. As we have seen though, quite a few Christians don't see it that way, so he isn't wrong.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
He did not say that he thought Mitt Romney was or was not a Christian.
Why not?

Why didn't he just say something along the lines of, "While some don't believe 'mormonism' is of the christian faith, I have a different view/opinion/whatever?"

His evasiveness pretty much tells what he does or doesn't believe about whether or not mormons are christians, don't you think?

Why are you defending him? I would think the fact that he doesn't think Mittens is a christian would tick you off.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephestus View Post
Another faith's Christianity? Christianity is a faith in itself is it not?

It is, to be clearer maybe I should have said denomination or religious doctrine.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Why not?

Why didn't he just say something along the lines of, "While some don't believe 'mormonism' is of the christian faith, I have a different view/opinion/whatever?"

His evasiveness pretty much tells what he does or doesn't believe about whether or not mormons are christians, don't you think?

Why are you defending him? I would think the fact that he doesn't think Mittens is a christian would tick you off.

It's not up to me to defend him. I just don't think the discussion of Mormons as Christians was really that indepth and I don't think it was discussed enough to know what he thinks or doesn't think. I have heard him discuss this issue before though and he did not say that he thought Mitt Romney was not a Christian. He didn't say, Mormonism is a cult and you shouldn't vote for a Mormon, which is much better than a few other evangelical leaders have done.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,395 times
Most Americans are stupid. And most of them are evangelicals and Republicans.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
It is, to be clearer maybe I should have said denomination or religious doctrine.
So you are saying most evangelical's do not question a denomination's faith or "Christianity"? I would disagree, many do or simply refuse to accept a denomination under the Christianity blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections