U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM

28,219 posts, read 47,632,920 times

Advertisements

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) -- As Fred Thompson officially hits the campaign trail, he's making a pitch to conservative Republicans nervous that the 2008 presidential race could lead to a Democratic president -- and even one named Clinton.

Thompson: I can stop Hillary Clinton - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,534,138 times
I think it's likely that he won't have to worry about ol' Hil'. I know the polls suggest otherwise, but opinion polls and votes are different things altogether.

I know lots of folks who wouldn't vote for her in the primary. Several of her stances get under the skins of the more liberal crowd, and many moderates worry that she would be unelectable in a general election.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,711,927 times
Are we done with actors-turn-politicians yet? Or do people still think Ronald Reagan was the savior of the free world?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,435,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Or do people still think Ronald Reagan was the savior of the free world?

Yes some people still think that. They were alive then and still remember the way things were when Reagan was in office so they don't buy into all the revisionist lies that are being propogated thanks to relying on their memory of reality.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,534,138 times
What revisionist lies, might I ask? Seems to me that Reagan wasn't deified until the more recent parade of conservatives into office. His persona and his politics were generally handled with humor, disdain, and disbelief throughout the late 80s and 90s. At least that's my recollection. Perhaps we remember things differently.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM

774 posts, read 2,308,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Are we done with actors-turn-politicians yet? Or do people still think Ronald Reagan was the savior of the free world?
No fan of Thompson here at all, but he was in government and law long before he ever acted one line.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,684,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
No fan of Thompson here at all, but he was in government and law long before he ever acted one line.
Apparently ole Fred Thompson may very well have lobbied against the right to life social conservatives as well.

According to the Los Angeles Times, The National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association says Fred Thompson took "lots of money" from them to lobby the first Bush administration for abortion rights.

The Thompson campaign totally denies it, saying "There's no documents to prove it."

But the Family Planning group has published minutes from its meetings dating back to 1991 that clearly say: "Judy DeSarno [president of the group at the time] reported that the association had hired Fred Thompson Esq. as counsel to aid us in discussions with the administration" on the abortion counseling rule (Sept. 14, 1991).

Not only that, but former Congressman Michael Barnes, who worked at the lobbying and law firm with Thompson says that DeSarno had asked him to recommend someone for the lobbying work and that he suggested Thompson. He said it was "absolutely bizarre" for Thompson to deny that he lobbied against the abortion counseling rule.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

3,384 posts, read 4,092,928 times
Yes, please stop Hillary, then again, her personality will more than likely take care of that.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:41 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,883,108 times
Default Reagan was alot better than the bushman!

While I am certainly no Ronald Regan fan, he was a far better president than the current guy who has failed so miserably. The country was in better shape at the end of Reagans presidency than it was when he took over, whereas the bushman has taken the country downhill at the fastest rate of downhill movement in my lifetime.

I'm no Thompson fan either, but maybe actors are better suited to run the country than politicians. They couldn't do any worse than the bushman. Just about ANYBODY who gets elected is likely to be a BIG improvement, even Thompson. But, I wouldn't vote for him.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-07-2007, 02:48 PM

58,194 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post

I'm no Thompson fan either, but maybe actors are better suited to run the country than politicians. blessings...Franco
How do you tell the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or