U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,808,745 times

Advertisements

That ticket would still lose to Obama. The only thing it'd do is set Rand up in a position to win the 2016 nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,730,972 times
'16 would be too soon for him. '20 would be a better time. Sending in candidates before they really have the experience is not a good thing. Think back to Dan Quayle. You need a lot of connections to run a campaign. In the senate, it takes time to get on the committees you need to have a solid background.

He's certainly a possible Republican candidate in the future though.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM

71,612 posts, read 83,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm surprised nobody as posted this thread, but I did a search and all I got was a google 'people finder' ad exclaiming 'We found Paul Vice.'

If Romney were to take Rand Paul as VP pick, I think it would be all over for Pres. Obama. Rand Paul is a Tea Party favorite, so he would bring all Tea Partiers and Tea Party sympathizers. He would also bring many of the Ron Paul supporters for obvious reasons. As a Senator from a Southern state, he would even add needed geographic balance to the ticket. The South is really the heart of the Republican base now.

As a former eye surgeon and grad of Duke med school, the left would be hard pressed to label him as stupid. They might well try it, but it wouldn't work. The one knock against Rand Paul would be lack of political experience. But if Hillary Clinton could claim experience due to having been Bill's wife, why can't Rand claim it for having been Ron's son?

The other day Rand Paul said that he would honored to be asked to run with Mitt Romney.

Rand Paul For Vice President? 'Of Course He Would Be Honored'
I don't think I would hold my breath on this one. I am anything but a Hillary supporter, but she had been a senator since 2000 when she ran for Pres. That is a little different than being a senator for a little over a year. Let's give him time to develop and see how he does in his present position. BTW, being a doctor make someone a great candidate for the top office or second top office in the country.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I seriously doubt that would result in a landslide. One Romney is very weak, two VPs don't really matter outside of their homestate, three Rand is not particularly strong.
very true: it would be a most unusual VP candidate that would affect he overall vote. I know everyone says Sarah did, I don't even believe that. She did help McCain jump up flor a few weeks and her lack of sophistacation at the time bought the ticket right back down, it didn't really affect the election much. The one thing that can help might be a female, a Hispanic, a black, someone that can bring in a particualar segment of the population. Even then, the Pres candidate is the one most people vote for.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
'16 would be too soon for him. '20 would be a better time. Sending in candidates before they really have the experience is not a good thing. Think back to Dan Quayle. You need a lot of connections to run a campaign. In the senate, it takes time to get on the committees you need to have a solid background.

He's certainly a possible Republican candidate in the future though.
There are a lot of possible Republican candidates in the future: how about Christie, Rubiio, Daniels, Ryan, Martinez, even Jindal just to mention a few. As for 2016 versus 2020: it would be 2020 if the Republicans win this year, otherwise 2016 or 2024. The strong candidates will be running in 2016 if Obama wins this year.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 8,755,108 times
If Rand Paul does this he loses all credibility as a conservative or Libertarian.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM

34,567 posts, read 33,545,462 times
Quote:
I'm surprised nobody as posted this thread, but I did a search and all I got was a google 'people finder' ad exclaiming 'We found Paul Vice.'

If Romney were to take Rand Paul as VP pick, I think it would be all over for Pres. Obama. Rand Paul is a Tea Party favorite, so he would bring all Tea Partiers and Tea Party sympathizers. He would also bring many of the Ron Paul supporters for obvious reasons. As a Senator from a Southern state, he would even add needed geographic balance to the ticket. The South is really the heart of the Republican base now.

As a former eye surgeon and grad of Duke med school, the left would be hard pressed to label him as stupid. They might well try it, but it wouldn't work. The one knock against Rand Paul would be lack of political experience. But if Hillary Clinton could claim experience due to having been Bill's wife, why can't Rand claim it for having been Ron's son?

The other day Rand Paul said that he would honored to be asked to run with Mitt Romney.

Rand Paul For Vice President? 'Of Course He Would Be Honored'
Okay, but he has to fix my vision problem because everybody knows what we need in the White House right now is an experienced opthamologist to make sure everybody sees the national debt problem with 20/20 vision.

C'mon, get real. Romney is using Ron Paul like John McCain used Mike Huckabee in 2008 when they teamed up to squash Romney. What did Huckabee get out of it? Did McCain pick him to be his VP (and Huckabee actually had executive experience McCain lacked AND Huckabee actually won some states). As soon as Romney wins the nomination it's "Sayonara, Ron Paul."

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

31,989 posts, read 16,453,816 times
Quote:
If Romney were to take Rand Paul as VP pick, I think it would be all over for Pres. Obama. Rand Paul is a Tea Party favorite, so he would bring all Tea Partiers and Tea Party sympathizers.
Except electoral math doesn't work that way. The TPers immensely dislike Romney, and Rand Paul is poison to moderates. Like with Palin, Rand Paul will bring some very devoted fans with him, but scare away more undecideds. As for intelligence, I have my reservations about anyone who claims that mountain-top removal mining "enhances the landscape" in front of a running camera.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,871,269 times

Mitt Romney's Multiple Political Personalities (John McCain's ad - 2008) - YouTube

Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,730,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are a lot of possible Republican candidates in the future: how about Christie, Rubiio, Daniels, Ryan, Martinez, even Jindal just to mention a few. As for 2016 versus 2020: it would be 2020 if the Republicans win this year, otherwise 2016 or 2024. The strong candidates will be running in 2016 if Obama wins this year.
Yup, there definitely are those candidates. I wasn't inferring that there was nobody in the wings. Christie will go nowhere unless he learns go control his eating and his veto of gay marriage just alienated most independents and Democrats.

My point moreso was you can't put anyone on a ticket before they're ready. It's like eating a banana, they're no good before they're ripe. Rand Paul needs a lot more experience first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or