Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Then Obama for you.
Are you mental?! He can't win. He and Romney seem to be friendly with each other and Rand Paul might be one of his VP choices. Ron Paul could be the treasury secretary, would that satisfy you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM

865 posts, read 676,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Are you mental?! He can't win. He and Romney seem to be friendly with each other and Rand Paul might be one of his VP choices. Ron Paul could be the treasury secretary, would that satisfy you?
Nope. Sure he can. And no, that is the script that the media is feeding you, Ron and Mitt are not making backroom deals.

I'm far too old for another compromise. Sorry, it's not my turn to fall in line.

As I said. Obama for you, because that is your choice. I didn't put it on the table, you were the one who did.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Do you have proof of this? I could google for myself, but off the top of my head, I don't believe this is the case. Gibson is a member of an off-the-wall sect -- almost cult -- of the Catholic Church. I think Santorum is just a run-of-the-mill conservative Catholic.
box of zips is correct there is a great deal of revisionist history going on.
EWTN has said nothing really happened at Vatican II, they claimed it just reaffirmed what had been taught, they treat it as just a bump in the road, it was just something that happened in the past; but you know they do not call world councils to just reaffirm Church teachings.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 AM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
As a Catholic, I have to say that any...ANY politician who allows their religion to decide the issues has no right to be in office. You are NOT a representative of your church or temple or whatever else you belong to. You are a representative of the state or country and of the people. You need to check your religion at the door once you get elected

Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Santorum will be a great president if he wins the nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sometimes they're not so close to the fringe. When I was about 7 we were told in Sunday School that if we even dared set foot in another church we were doomed to hell. For a long time I was willing to believe maybe that was just the isolated teachings of an over-zealous nun. I've since talked with several others from different parts of the country who were taught much the same thing. I really don't believe you should be threatening young children with eternal damnation for stepping inside a building for Cripe's sake That there's since been a Pope visiting a Synagogue shows what a load of crap it really was, either that or there's gonna be some fancy company in hell
Yes, what you were taught actually goes against Church teachings. We're suppose to find fraternity with those with whom we share Common Witness. This goes back to the 1970s.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was thinking this last night and I realized that in my numerous interactions with Catholics, I've never met or even heard of one who is as radical as Santorum in his views.(Though I've met quite a few evangelicals who are). And I have many family and friends who are Catholic--both liberal and conservative Catholics--but none seem to match Santorum in their devotion so social conservatism. So I thought I'd ask the Catholics here, devout or not, two questions:

1) Are there a lot of right wing Catholics on the level of Santorum? Am I missing something here?
2) As a Catholic, what's your take on a fellow member of your denomination? Do you think he could affect how people see Catholicism for good or for ill?

Thanks,
Mackinac81
1) There are some old time Catholics such as my mother, aunts and uncles that love him...so just based on my small sampling yes there are right wing Catholics who are on his level.2)Santorum will do about as much for the Catholics as Kennedy did...which is nothing good and will not help peoples perception of us anymore then the pedophile preists do!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
1) There are some old time Catholics such as my mother, aunts and uncles that love him...so just based on my small sampling yes there are right wing Catholics who are on his level.2)Santorum will do about as much for the Catholics as Kennedy did...which is nothing good and will not help peoples perception of us anymore then the pedophile preists do!
I feel sorry for today's lay Catholics. The past decade has not been kind to you all.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well I know Catholics aren't a bloc like evangelicals. I think they're pretty evenly split between the Democrats and the GOP.
Catholics do not have "bring your gun to church day"...they are taught as children to "treat the least of your brothers as a human being", i.e try to help the less fortunate.

I do not understand militant christians and their penchant for partisan hate politics.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Catholics do not have "bring your gun to church day"...they are taught as children to "treat the least of your brothers as a human being", i.e try to help the less fortunate.

I do not understand militant christians and their penchant for partisan hate politics.
This is actually why I've always had a lot of respect for practicing Catholics, probably more than I do my fellow evangelicals as a group--despite the fact that I disagree with a lot of their theology.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Not an official one but you'd be surprised how many are packing these days when they are receiving the Eucharist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections