U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,583,165 times
Reputation: 1238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is declining effectiveness of race card use perhaps when the accusations are false. Hopefully, that's the case.

But if the accusations are true, it's going to be VERY EFFECTIVE if it comes from me. And anyone else that has true situations where it's happening should make damn sure that it's effective too, or they shouldn't use it. I won't toss the race card if i can't make sure that i see it through.
I love it when people try to say the race card has lost its effectiveness, I got $100 dollars say, if Obama wins the election, somebody will accuse him of winning in part by using the race card. Its 2012 and its still being used, I highly doubt its lost its effectiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,574,115 times
Reputation: 3309
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I have no reason to be upset about anything. I happened to be on another thread and somebody was complaining about the race card. I decided to make a thread and explain to republicans, if you don't want to worry about the race card being thrown around, quit giving us a reason to use it. Now you can come on here and say that the race card is irrelevant or that nobody cares about my comments about racism, but the simple fact is, you took to the time to come on this thread and tell me that my claims are false and not effective. I disagree becaue you and I have gone back and forth in different threads for the past couple of months on the topic of racism. You know how I feel the topic of racism. If my claims are so outrageous, why did you feel the need to come into this thread, why didn't you just ignore it?
I enjoy pointing out your lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,885,297 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Are you saying that white people are willing to talk about racism? Anytime racism is brought, I hear the same comments from white people, "why is race always brought into this discussion" "how can we move forward if we continue to bring up race", 'i'm not racist because I have a black friend" "I'm tired of race being brought". White people would love if blacks never uttered the word racism again ever in their lives.
First off I don't know the race of everyone on this forum, much less thread.
Secondly, yes I doubt everyone on this thread is black. So I would say "white" people *are* willing to talk about racism.

You are either a believer in racism or not. Doesn't matter whether you are white, black, yellow or purple. Using your race as a primary identifier is racism to me. Obama is also "white". He is also the President.

Racism is no different than any other reason one group claims some sort of privilege or reason to devalue another. This is how humans are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM
 
49,907 posts, read 26,476,133 times
Reputation: 15574
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I love it when people try to say the race card has lost its effectiveness, I got $100 dollars say, if Obama wins the election, somebody will accuse him of winning in part by using the race card. Its 2012 and its still being used, I highly doubt its lost its effectiveness.
If the race card has lost it's effectiveness, there wouldn't be ten thousand threads about it.

Again, false accusations SHOULD lose their effectiveness. I'll do all i can to help that along.

But if i have justification to throw the race card, it's gonna be very damn effective, and frighteningly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,416,643 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The real problem is you don't ever actually address anything related to the topic of your false claims of racism, you just blame white people for your problems/shortcomings.

You're just upset because your false claims of racism are losing their effect more and more every day. Well educated, common sense people like myself laugh at your false and outrageous claims of racism.
FYI, there is a difference between blaming the system for social ills and blaming the white man in general for those ills. Most people, black white blue or green only point at a small segment of people hiding in plain sight.

I'm not black but I do agree that they have not been give the same opportunities in life from this system. If the white man caused that or created that they share some of the blame.

Fact is, few whites (or blacks) are racists, but the ones that are, are the ones that should be blamed, not ever white, just a tiny minority that still hold these white supremacy beliefs. Putting whites like them into positions of power is a mistake because it only increases their legitimacy of their beliefs.


Based on what I have read on Paul's newsletters I would never vote for him. Talking in code doesnt excuse racism.

Newt's preoccupation with blaming black makes me question his beliefs.

Santorum??? Frothy mix is beyond all help.

Mittens???? Just cannot imagine America with a CEO leader, corporations as people and money equaling speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,885,297 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If the race card has lost it's effectiveness, there wouldn't be ten thousand threads about it.

Again, false accusations SHOULD lose their effectiveness. I'll do all i can to help that along.

But if i have justification to throw the race card, it's gonna be very damn effective, and frighteningly so.
Out of curiosity, are these threads on here or elsewhere? Maybe I am missing it, but I haven't seen that many threads about this.

I do think the race card has lost it's effectiveness, however, that is not to say it is ineffective.

My interest in the subject, is from it's use in BO political strategy. I think for the "independents" or "uncommitted" this could work for or against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM
 
4,740 posts, read 8,767,715 times
Reputation: 4072
nighttrain55 = "The problem is white people want to avoid the topic and just assumes it will go away if we don't address it."

Actor Morgan Freeman said the best way to end racism is to "stop talking about it".

IMO that was King-like, promoting dialogue about issues other than skin...

* but later he talked about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,760,056 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm happy and successful also. It doesn't mean I can't bring it up. The problem is white people want to avoid the topic and just assumes it will go away if we don't address it.
Are you saying that black and hispanic people don't pull the race card??? Exactly what is it you want from "white" people with regard to the race card?

I'm white and I don't avoid it, I ignore it. I think people of different races have been igoring the race card mantra because it has been used and abused to the point it means nothing. It's been used to justify an argument when all else failed, a defense when all else failed, to insult, to garner sympathy, and now it's used by politicians, more than ever, for votes. If someone pulled the race card on me I will let them know that they played a losing hand when they threw that card down.

The "topic" as you refer to is not something white people dwell on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,760,056 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Racist seem to think anything goes and as long as they don't say the "N" word they can claim they're not racists.


It is real simple...

if you go thru life looking at everyrhing in term of black and white, you might be a racist.

if you need to blame every social ill on a minority you might be a racist.
WOW. So racism is a one way street? I guess I was under a very wrong impression and thought being referred to as a "cracker" was a racist insult. I guess if I ever hear that again I'll ask "where's the cheese?", or should I just consider it a term of endearment?

How about if you need to blame a majority for every social ill - you might be a racist?

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-25-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM
 
16,634 posts, read 8,492,417 times
Reputation: 9508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I love it when people try to say the race card has lost its effectiveness, I got $100 dollars say, if Obama wins the election, somebody will accuse him of winning in part by using the race card. Its 2012 and its still being used, I highly doubt its lost its effectiveness.
What if it is so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top