U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,835 posts, read 4,825,244 times
Reputation: 3616

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think anyone could fill a stadium at this point— i think it was just bad venue planning. there was no expectation to fill that stadium.
It wasn't exactly in a stadium but you should look up the "Rally for the Republic" in 2008....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,667,708 times
Reputation: 6283
This was a huge gaffe by Romney's team. People should be fired.

Sorry, but the fact that Romney isn't sweeping the floor with the lecherous one in one hand and the PA reject in the other speaks volumes about the way his candidacy has been run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,640,389 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sorry, but the fact that Romney isn't sweeping the floor with the lecherous one in one hand and the PA reject in the other speaks volumes about the way his candidacy has been run.
That has more to do with the prominence populism has in the modern Republican party versus the fact to varying degrees none of the candidates really fill that niche, Romney being the least populist among them. There's only so much he can do to make that sort of appeal, and he's obviously uncomfortable doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,433,604 times
Reputation: 1376
Hey, that is what you get when corporations are people and money is speech. Neither can actually fill seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Grass roots: Romney gives economic speech in front of 65,000 empty seats > click on link to see pic of small gathering in Detroit

Mitt Romney's economic speech falls flat at near-empty stadium


Romney fails to elaborate on his 20% tax cut in awkward speech setting where he let slip another gaffe about his wealth

Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney's much-heralded economic speech flopped Friday, overshadowed by a gaffe over luxury Cadillacs and his choice of an over-ambitious venue, the Detroit Lions' football field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
 
668 posts, read 1,132,783 times
Reputation: 364
to be fair Obama's crowds are not what they use to be in 08
but yeah this and that cadillac line was pretty bad for romney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There was never any intention of filling the stadium. The event sold out in a little over an hour for the original venue and so it was moved to this stadium, but with a limited number of tickets. Over 1200 people attended which was double the amount originally planned for. The part about his wife driving a Cadillac is just left wing drivel that is silly. There are far more expensive cars than Cadillacs out there and I doubt anyone thought she drove a Honda.
What you say have posted is quite true, however as LordBalfor points out it was an idiotic decision because even the conservative media decided to focus on the ridiculous venue rather than his speech as any advance team should have known. It is better to have a standing room audience with people trying to get rather than a picture of what looks like practice for a half-time show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
 
11,535 posts, read 8,790,859 times
Reputation: 3580
I actually feel sorry for Romney after seeing this photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: USA
498 posts, read 1,239,307 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Who's ignorant, pal? Who's refusing to look at what facts, pal?
You, clearly, if you can't even see two other threads on the same topic in plain view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,258,737 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Hey QG! Have you finally taken those rose colored glasses off and switched to clear?
LOL emily, I never have worn 'rose colored glasses' regarding ANY political candidate.....nor any political party. Respectfully emily, LOOK in the mirror, seems to me that has been many Ron Paul supporters proiblem!!

As this struggle for any of these so-called GOP candidates to gain traction, continues....the more dubious I've become about all of 'em!!

Almost a hopelessness hangs ...lika a pall, over the Republican party, and their unstable candidates. I dearly regret that we have no better choice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,258,737 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I actually feel sorry for Romney after seeing this photo
Ditto!! Last night, when I saw the pic posted here, I was very sad...for Romney. Seriously, he strikes me as the most geniunely 'Nice guy' of ALL the candidates, 'R' and 'D'.

If ONLY he didn't (especially his wife) have that elitest 'air' about him...and had not been so negative...I guess he'd have been my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top