Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:20 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Grass roots: Romney gives economic speech in front of 65,000 empty seats > click on link to see pic of small gathering in Detroit

Mitt Romney's economic speech falls flat at near-empty stadium

Romney fails to elaborate on his 20% tax cut in awkward speech setting where he let slip another gaffe about his wealth

Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney's much-heralded economic speech flopped Friday, overshadowed by a gaffe over luxury Cadillacs and his choice of an over-ambitious venue, the Detroit Lions' football field.

There was never any intention of filling the stadium. The event sold out in a little over an hour for the original venue and so it was moved to this stadium, but with a limited number of tickets. Over 1200 people attended which was double the amount originally planned for. The part about his wife driving a Cadillac is just left wing drivel that is silly. There are far more expensive cars than Cadillacs out there and I doubt anyone thought she drove a Honda.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 02-25-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Who's ernest? And he ain't beat nobody yet? And from the Detroit pic...he ain't going to.

Well, the delegate says otherwise. Where have you been?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,643,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Well, the delegate says otherwise. Where have you been?
Hey, jes telling it like it is. It's obvious Romney is struggling severely.

Honestly, NONE of these candidates are satisfactory. And the guy in office now...is destroying everything our forefathers fought for. It's very frustrating...and more disturbing.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Hey, jes telling it like it is. It's obvious Romney is struggling severely.

Honestly, NONE of these candidates are satisfactory. And the guy in office now...is destroying everything our forefathers fought for. It's very frustrating...and more disturbing.

If people feel that we need new leadership it would be good to get behind someone that is actually running for the office, instead of those same people constantly tearing them down and complaining about them. This is what we have running, we either get behind one of them or be satisfied with what we already have. Those are the choices.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,174,350 times
Even if the "they sold too many tickets and had to scramble at the last minute to find a larger venue" story is true, it's funny that the only place they could get a hold of was Ford Field. 2nd rule of show business is you always match the venue to the performance.

Very Spinal Tap; I was half-expecting to see a tiny Stonehenge up on stage with the Mittster.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,815,962 times
i don't think anyone could fill a stadium at this point— i think it was just bad venue planning. there was no expectation to fill that stadium.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,643,506 times
Quote:
If people feel that we need new leadership it would be good to get behind someone that is actually running for the office, instead of those same people constantly tearing them down and complaining about them. This is what we have running, we either get behind one of them or be satisfied with what we already have. Those are the choices.
I've heard that song all my life. We all have. I learned...if you're not sure...it's best not to jump out of the frying pan...into what possibly could be the fire. I can't help it we have a messed up WH now, but I won't support anyone who I'm not sure would be better. I chose to be an Independant....when I saw how corrupt all the Parties are. It is...what it is.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
If perception is reality, Mitt is on the road to nowhere.
Hey QG! Have you finally taken those rose colored glasses off and switched to clear?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,174,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think anyone could fill a stadium at this point— i think it was just bad venue planning. there was no expectation to fill that stadium.
Yeah pretty much, which is why everyone was pointing the finger at each other yesterday.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,366,372 times
Quote:
There was never any intention of filling the stadium. The event sold out in a little over an hour for the original venue and so it was moved to this stadium, but with a limited number of tickets. Over 1200 people attended which was double the amount originally planned for. The part about his wife driving a Cadillac is just left wing drivel that is silly. There are far more expensive cars than Cadillacs out there and I doubt anyone thought she drove a Honda.
Dixie, everything you say is exactly right, but you are still wrong on the substance.

Haven't you ever taken a Psych class? In human communication, perception is 80 percent about the visual presentation, and only 20 percent about content. And the visuals of Romney making his most hyped speech to date IN AN EMPTY STADIUM are terrible.

This is the kind of poor organization and message discipline that doomed Romney's earlier campaigns, for Senator in 1994, and for president in 2008. Mitt's win in the 2002 governor's race is starting to look like a fluke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections