Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM

180 posts, read 211,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
It's true. Education (University/College) system today is the most EVIL system on earth. They teach lawyers, politicians, bankers, etc. how to be corrupt. Wise people realize that fact.

Rick, ya sound like my kinda guy!
I take it you never went to college...

If anything colleges go the opposite extreme. They teach you corporations should be responsible for their communities. Corporations benefit if they treat their employees with care. People should help others in their communities. ETC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
I guess I had a very different experience in college, I had a few biased professors but most were pretty neutral.
Same. I find all this talk of "indoctrination" laughable. My sociology class was taught from a somewhat liberal point of view and some of my economics classes were taught from a somewhat conservative point of view (yes, sometimes college classes are taught from a conservative point of view!), but there was certainly no indoctrination and I can't think of any other classes where I even had a clue of the professor's political views.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-25-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh. My. God. As if it couldn't get any worse. This video clip has to be seen to be believed. And people wonder why conservatives are seen as anti education. This should tell you why.

Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’ - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

Absolutely apalling.
As much as I hate to say it I think Santorum knows his audience. There are most certainly people in the GOP, and lots of them, that are hard core anti-intellectual and Santorum is speaking their language.

Santorum is basically engaging in not so subtile dog whistle politics.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,235 times
Santorum is right about the first part - not everyone should go to college. When everyone, regardless of their skill level and IQ, go to college, some may not make it through, thus ending up with no degree, no job and a lot of debt. (These folks should go to a vocational training school to learn a trade.) For arguments' sake, even if everyone scrapes through, if everyone in America has a college degree, then there is no value for a college degree anymore. What good is a degree if there are no jobs and a ton of debt? Politicians push everyone to go to college (Obama isn't the first one to say that) because it is very politically correct to say so, and earns brownie points with voters looking for feel-good soundbytes.

But what is interesting and funny is that Santorum is not attacking Obama for this reason at all. He thinks if a kid goes to college, he will get indoctrinated with "liberal" ideas (translate - science and math), and may perhaps stop believing in the voodoo magic religious sanctimony he lives by. Oh the horror!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,243,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
As much as I hate to say it I think Santorum knows his audience. There are most certainly people in the GOP, and lots of them, that are hard core anti-intellectual and Santorum is speaking their language.

Santorum is basically engaging in not so subtile dog whistle politics.
There people in the GOP who would agree but he is alienating way too many people by catering to them. That said I'm glad he is getting his extreme views off his chest for everyone to hear, better now then later.

Last edited by FargoBison; 02-25-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
A lot of Republicans can't stand him. Myself included.

I don't think I could vote for him if he won the nomination.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Everyone should have the chance. Sadly, in the United States that's not the case.
No. Only those at least somewhat liely to succeed should have the chance. Although, to be honest, college these days is really remedial high school for far too many.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Santorum is right about the first part - not everyone should go to college. When everyone, regardless of their skill level and IQ, go to college, some may not make it through, thus ending up with no degree, no job and a lot of debt. (These folks should go to a vocational training school to learn a trade.) For arguments' sake, even if everyone scrapes through, if everyone in America has a college degree, then there is no value for a college degree anymore. What good is a degree if there are no jobs and a ton of debt? Politicians push everyone to go to college (Obama isn't the first one to say that) because it is very politically correct to say so, and earns brownie points with voters looking for feel-good soundbytes.

But what is interesting and funny is that Santorum is not attacking Obama for this reason at all. He thinks if a kid goes to college, he will get indoctrinated with "liberal" ideas (translate - science and math), and may perhaps stop believing in the voodoo magic religious sanctimony he lives by. Oh the horror!
I think that is because its meant to be heard on a different level. Quite simply there are a lot of people who didn't go to college and resent people who did/do. Santorum is playing to this group of people by basically saying college is a load of crap and you are better/more authentic/harder working then those people who went to college.

I don't think it is so much about attacking Obama or even what America would be like if everyone when to college. Its basically a not so well done dog whistle that designed to, dare I say it, engage in class warfare.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,243,953 times
From Santorum's 2006 Senate Campaign....

Quote:
“In addition to Rick’s support of ensuring that primary and secondary schools in Pennsylvania are equipped for success, he is equally committed to ensuring the every Pennsylvanian has access to higher education,” the site reads. “Rick Santorum has supported legislative solutions that provide loans, grants, and tax incentives to make higher education more accessible and affordable.”
Flashback: In 2006, Rick Santorum Wanted To Send All Pennsylvanians To College | TPM2012

Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Everyone should have the chance. Sadly, in the United States that's not the case.
No, they shouldn't.
Many people don't deserve to go to college...nor will college benefit them in any way. Not only that, they will get saddled with a bunch of debt for no reason.

This 'everyone deserves to go to college' has watered down the value of a degree immensely. There is worth in professions that don't involve going to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections