Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Why are Vocational Schools never mentioned? People can get trades training for the workforce... well... when jobs come back in force.
Actually, increasing support for community colleges has been the centerpiece of President Obama's plans for higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh. My. God. As if it couldn't get any worse. This video clip has to be seen to be believed. And people wonder why conservatives are seen as anti education. This should tell you why.

Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’ - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

Absolutely apalling.
Despite everything, Santorum is a career politician. Like everyone who is employed, he will do what-ever it takes to stay elected (like all politicians. In the case of politicians, this comes in the form of words and promises.

Santorum is a hard-core Right-wing Christian...and most Americans who follow his "beliefs" tend to those Americans that reside in rural areas. And these are Americans that generally grow up without a college education. Note, this is a generalization, yes, but it is broad enough to be accurate enough when it comes time to tally votes. People who reside in rural communities tend to look down on those "from big cities with their fancy jobs and educations".

It's a vote-getter that many seem to fall for.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
My plumber makes a whole lot more money than I do. He interned with a master plumber than went out on his own. When I need a plumber I do not ask if he went to Harvard.
What we need are more trade schools for the people who want to pursue a trade career
Well, there are actually tons of trade schools out there. Pretty much every community college has at least one "trade" program and practically all of them have degree programs that are designed to be terminal degrees ..but some do have the capacity to transfer to a four-year institution.

And there are private (for profit and not-for-profit) trade schools out there.

I don't think the U.S. needs more vo-tech schools as practically every location in this country has one or more within any particular locale.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Despite everything, Santorum is a career politician. Like everyone who is employed, he will do what-ever it takes to stay elected (like all politicians. In the case of politicians, this comes in the form of words and promises.

Santorum is a hard-core Right-wing Christian...and most Americans who follow his "beliefs" tend to those Americans that reside in rural areas. And these are Americans that generally grow up without a college education. Note, this is a generalization, yes, but it is broad enough to be accurate enough when it comes time to tally votes. People who reside in rural communities tend to look down on those "from big cities with their fancy jobs and educations".

It's a vote-getter that many seem to fall for.
A lot of it is also factory towns, in addition to rural areas. A lot of them tend to be conservative and since factory jobs used to be plentiful college education was not something that was particularly needed for a middle class lifestyle. There is a common belief in some of those areas that if you have a college degree and work in an office sitting all day you don't have real employment. It is clear that is the group Santorum is going for.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
I can see where everyone in college would fit right in w/ current situation.

Wonder if it has to do w/ all those guaranteed student loans and record debt that no student is likely to escape until death.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
BTW, did anyone happen to catch this last sentence of this thread article? >> ''Both the messenger and his message appear to be resonating with working-class voters, a bloc of the electorate to which Romney has struggled to appeal, with limited success.''
The republicans are getting in on class warfare. That I should live to see the day.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Obama wants every American to have the opportunity to go to college.!! !!!!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The point is everyone should be educated to the best of their abilities. The "snob" comment is priceless though.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
My plumber makes a whole lot more money than I do. He interned with a master plumber than went out on his own. When I need a plumber I do not ask if he went to Harvard.
What we need are more trade schools for the people who want to pursue a trade career
I have no problem with trade schools. I said in my second post that college isn't for everybody. But I think it's appalling that someone who encourages everyone to pursue some kind of higher education is a snob. And this is one reason why I despise today's GOP. They cater to this idea that less education is better--to the detriment of our society and our democratic system. Less educated folk are more easily swayed and fooled, which is probably the reason behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, everyone should get a degree, huh?

What is appalling is the fact that even with so many "college educated" people with degrees being unemployed, 0b0mba wants to create more of the same.

Here's an idea.....STOP telling EVERY student that they have to go to university, and gear some kids who would rather work with their hands into trades.

BTW....Appalling, not apalling! You must have one of those "degrees". LOL
Well excuse me, genius. I'm sure you've never misspelled a word since kindergarten then?

Everyone should have access to getting a degree if they so choose. Besides, overall it's more advantageous, economically, to go to college than to work straight out of high school. The unemployment rate for college grads has been lower than the national average throughout the whole recession and you will earn more money over the course of your life than someone who didn't. That's not snobbery. It makes financial sense.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh. My. God. As if it couldn't get any worse. This video clip has to be seen to be believed. And people wonder why conservatives are seen as anti education. This should tell you why.

Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’ - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

Absolutely apalling.
[i] have not seen the video and probably won't but for starters, there are many people who should not go to college and many jobs that do not require any college. Kids are graduation and taking jobs as receptionist, restaurant workers, etc. These are jobs that people with little or no education could excel in. I am one who happens to think too many young people are pressured into advancing their education when they would do as well or better without continueing in college. I am not saying, young people who want an education should not be able to acheive one, but I think our Pres is off base on this one. Let me add I come from a family with educations beyond highschool. My grandmother, at the turn of the 20th century had a college education, my fathter had 2 bach and a masters, we have doctors in our family, financual advisors, engineers, and executives, so I am not speaking as someone that doesn't understand continueing education.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections