U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times

Advertisements

Texas House Speaker Joe Straus endorses Mitt Romney | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Excellent to see Romney picking up an endorsement in the Lone Star State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,635,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas House Speaker Joe Straus endorses Mitt Romney | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Yes, it is. That will be a tough state for him.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,112,006 times
the truth is nobody cares who he endorses.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:

I think Newt will winTexas, but if not Romney will. The latest polls, do not look good for Romeney, still we see these polls changing daily.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,635,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think Newt will winTexas, but if not Romney will. The latest polls, do not look good for Romeney, still we see these polls changing daily.

If Romney won TX it would be very unexpected. It's highly envangelical and other components that don't work in his favor usually.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Quote:
The Texas primary will be May 29th - at the earliest. If it were being held soon, I doubt Newt would win. Santorum is way ahead in the most recent poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If Romney won TX it would be very unexpected. It's highly envangelical and other components that don't work in his favor usually.
Romney was actually leading in the second most recent poll that I'm aware of.

While Texas is heavily evangelical, it's important to remember that two-thirds of the state population is in large metropolitan areas. McCain won the GOP primary here in 2008, not Huckabee.

Interestingly enough, Restore Our Future has been showing at least one anti-Santorum ad here for the past few weeks. It seems like a waste of money to me but, then again, our primary is typically held in early March and was originally supposed to be held in early March this year as well (it has been delayed several times because of a redistricting dispute and the date is still uncertain). Perhaps they bought the air time way in advance and decided to go ahead and use it? I can't think of another explanation.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-26-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM

60,155 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Straus use to be a Democrat, just like Rick Perry was.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:

Joe Strauss is considered to be a "moderate" by Texas standards. His fellow Repubs tried to ouster him at the start of last session because he was seen as too willing to compromise with the Dems. This endorsement is not much of a surprise.
I predict that Romney will take Texas by a 10-12% margin, similar to ariz.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I totally agree; well, I lived there for 13 years, it really isn't all the evangelical, in fact the larger cities are pretty well devided and pretty diverse, but Texas, as most of us know, is very conservative..This is probably why the last polls I saw showed P:aul at the bottom or the pile. Of course I don't put a lot into polls. I think Texas will go Newt and then Romney. This is just a hunch I have.

Nita

Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 AM

60,155 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Quote:
I totally agree; well, I lived there for 13 years, it really isn't all the evangelical, in fact the larger cities are pretty well devided and pretty diverse, but Texas, as most of us know, is very conservative..This is probably why the last polls I saw showed P:aul at the bottom or the pile. Of course I don't put a lot into polls. I think Texas will go Newt and then Romney. This is just a hunch I have.

Nita

I see Ron Paul bumper stickers and yard signs every where.(and Obama)

I have yet to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum, support of any kind.

They must be closet supporters, too embarrassed to expose themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections