U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,538,572 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney FAKE "grassroots" signs at church rally - YouTube

Romney campaign passing out fake "grassroots" signs made by Romney himself in his free time. Then the "grassroots" wave them before the camera and shouts "President Mitt" in chorus. Sounds vaguely familiar? :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM

10,678 posts, read 6,045,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Romney campaign passing out fake "grassroots" signs made by Romney himself in his free time. Then the "grassroots" wave them before the camera and shouts "President Mitt" in chorus. Sounds vaguely familiar? :-P
Fake grassroots are the only kind of grassroots the Romney campaign has. It matches the most dominant quality of the candidate himself.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,889,524 times
Yay, astroturf. Sad, just sad.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,201,677 times

Mitt Romney as "The Artist" on The Chris Matthews Show, Feburary 26th 2012 - YouTube

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,387,071 times
LOL ... now that is funny. Look at all those robots out there, they look like they are in church. I guess it never occurred to any of Mittens supporters to bring their own signs to show support for their candidate they are so passionate about ... NOT!

And it couldn't be more obvious, because all the signs are in the same hand writing. Didnt the campaign even think to make the different signs in at least a few different peoples hand writing, just to keep people guessing? Talk about lazy and shoddy ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 02-28-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 921,382 times
I don't understand your point. I don't care who makes the signs, the people are at the rally, supporting him, and they're willing to hold the signs so clearly they do actually support Romney. Actually, that's kind of cool that Mitt made them himself when he could have just factory ordered his normal rally sign. Because, let's be real here - there is NO ONE who's sitting there, watching a rally saying "You know, there are no handmade signs in that audience. I totally can't support this candidate now"

Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,538,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I don't understand your point. I don't care who makes the signs, the people are at the rally, supporting him, and they're willing to hold the signs so clearly they do actually support Romney. Actually, that's kind of cool that Mitt made them himself when he could have just factory ordered his normal rally sign. Because, let's be real here - there is NO ONE who's sitting there, watching a rally saying "You know, there are no handmade signs in that audience. I totally can't support this candidate now"
The point of the matter is that Romney makes it appear that he has grassroots support, when he doesn't. Grassroots means actual passionate people who make signs in their garages and kitchen islands and bring them to the rallies to show the support for their candidate. Grassroots signs make it appear that actual people support the candidacy, and not paid-by-the-hour workers who wave factory-made signs made at Bain Robotics (which also manufactured Romney's brain).

[When I said Romney made them himself, that was sarcasm. You know, like implying that he can't even get anyone in his campaign to make the signs? Sad that I had to explain it.]

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

1,347 posts, read 921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
The point of the matter is that Romney makes it appear that he has grassroots support, when he doesn't. Grassroots means actual passionate people who make signs in their garages and kitchen islands and bring them to the rallies to show the support for their candidate. Grassroots signs make it appear that actual people support the candidacy, and not paid-by-the-hour workers who wave factory-made signs made at Bain Robotics (which also manufactured Romney's brain).

[When I said Romney made them himself, that was sarcasm. You know, like implying that he can't even get anyone in his campaign to make the signs? Sad that I had to explain it.]
Likewise, I didn't literally mean Mitt made them, I meant his campaign. Sad I had to explain. I will admit I didn't get your joke about his campaign not being willing to make them. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to get that out of what you said, but I digress.

Anyway, what does grassroots support even mean? More average, everyday Republican voters have supported Mitt Romney than anyone else. These aren't robots voting for him and attending his rallies, they're human beings. Do we gauge grassroots support by the ratio of home-made to factory-made signs? Everybody I know complains about the establishment, people are smart enough to make their own decisions and they're choosing Romney (The man who the real GOP establishment, the right-wing media, is fervently against). I think most detractors would call me a "Romney cheerleader" and I will admit I'm about as big a supporter as there is, but I'm not about to go make signs when I go to a rally. I have a Romney official rally sign, and I will bring that. I'm sorry I'm not creative enough to be a grassroots supporter

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

10,678 posts, read 6,045,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Do we gauge grassroots support by the ratio of home-made to factory-made signs?
In a word, yes; it's kind of the definition of grassroots support--as in, not manufactured or orchestrated by traditional power structures.

Not every supporter will make their own sign, of course, but a good way to gauge the level of enthusiasm that a candidate generates is by the effort his supporters willingly expend to show their support. What other reason do you think the Romney campaign would have to go to the trouble of making signs that appear to be homemade if they weren't trying to make it look like it was a grassroots effort where none existed?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,877,477 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or