U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,274,180 times

Advertisements

It's very misleading to call Snowe a "liberal". If she were in the Democrat party, she would be its most conservative politician, she's only more liberal than the right wing nutbars that make up the GOP. She pretends to compromise with Democrats and talks a moderate game but always votes with McConnell in the end.

That being said, this is very good news, we can get an actual solid liberal in Maine if Chellie Pingree gets on the ballot. The only thing I'm concerned about is that John Baldacci and Pingree split the liberal vote in the primary and we end up with that DINO Mike Michaud although he's still better than Snowe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,974,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I'm not allowed the keep repping you so I'll give you a rep here.

I hope that the GOP falls off the cliff, and I hope they lose big in November. If they do, there will finally be a reckoning within the party (long overdue) and they will start to move back towards the center and rationality. You see it in many of the R posters here - many have just veered off so far to the right (and think it's what America wants), that they're really not seeing the forest for the trees. As in, sure, ideological "purity" is great, but the more people you say are not "right-wing" enough (like Snowe), the fewer votes you're going to get. This whole conservative pissing match is broken because there is very little room on the right left to move to. I mean, you have a candidate like Santorum! Rick Santorum!! And he's led the pack!!! In 2012!!!! A guy who rallies against contraception, thinks that women should make the best situation of out babies conceived from rape, thinks higher education makes people snobbish, and believes that the devil is roaming America!

And yet, the other candidates are still trying to out-conservative him. It's almost like a parody sketch from SNL. It's surreal.

So when Romney wins the nomination (and he will), he'll be so far to the right that he'll have no chance of winning (personally, I see him as John Kerry II).

The Dems DO have moderates and dissension within their ranks - witness the blue dog Dems who will vote to defeat Dem legislation. The Conservative pissing match has weeded moderation out of the GOP - like Snowe.

So I hope the GOP does lose big, and I hope they have a day of reckoning. The party needs it. The voters need it. The country needs it. Because once we have two rational parties fighting for votes, offering real solutions to the country's problems (instead of mere conservative-pleasing platitudes, as have been so common in these primaries. I mean, 999? WTF? Who rationally thinks that that would EVER work without completely bankrupting the country?), we will finally start digging ourselves out of this mess.
Thanks--I'll rep you instead, but I do disagree with a few points. The centrist blue dog dems are on the decline as well, but not so much because they're facing primary opposition from extremists in their own party. Redistricting to create "safe" districts for each party has played a part, along with campaign funding increasingly tied to special interest groups vs. a broad base of public support. However, I think more democrats identify with the label "moderate" right now than you find in the R party, so you have more moderate D districts. I agree that the radical right wingers need to be flushed out of the R party. I'd rather have it happen this time around, get it over quickly, and then rebuild for 2016 vs. dragging this on for another four years. Like I said, we need two rational, strong parties, and we don't have that right now.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,332,275 times
Terrible loss for the moderate wing of the Republican Party but I am not surprised.

Us moderates are being pushed out of the GOP because of the far right and ultra-purist conservatives. Those people would rush to vote against Ronald Reagan today. In fact, Reagan is closer to people like Romney and Snowe than Santorum. Yes, that is the actual truth. Look at his record as governor and as President.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Pretty easy pickup for the Dems
We will have to see who the candidates are, but you could be right. Of course she has always been among the most liberal of all Republicans.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,346,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Now if only McCain, Graham, Grassley, and McConnell were wise enough to join her....
In what wacky world are Graham, Grassley, and McConnell considered liberal?

And anyone who thinks that Snowe's replacement is going to be a more ideologically pure conservative is just delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or