Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: POLL: If It Came Down To Hillary Clinton or Fred Thompson, Who Would You Vote For?
Fred Thompson 80 47.62%
Hillary Clinton 60 35.71%
Mike Bloomberg Independent 8 4.76%
I Will Not Vote If It Came Down To Them 19 11.31%
I'm NOT Sure 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 AM

24,506 posts, read 33,286,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
And it happened in the 40's, 50's, 70's, and 90's too, and it will continue to happen into the future unless the economy collapses. If you can somehow prove that the tax cuts made revenues grow faster after they were made then you'll have an argument.
Here is some data:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,422,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
POLL: If It Came Down To Hillary Clinton or Fred Thompson, Who Would You Vote For?

What do you think?

I think Fred will kick her tail back to her husband Bill.
Neither sound very appealing.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,288,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Here is some data:
Well, except that tax cuts in 1981 would effect 1982s balance sheet, no?? So it looks like revenues actually DEcreased after the initial tax cut. In fact, it looks like it took 5 years before tax revenues surpassed 1981's total which could easily be attributed to the MASSIVE economic growth of the 1980s.

Either way, that isn't my point at ALL. That's why I said I DON'T CARE. Yes, we need to lower spending as well, but getting a Dem controlled congress to axe unnecessary social programs is a difficult task.

IOW, I don't give a frog's fat arse how we increase tax revenue, but we need to in a MAJOR way without adding another dime in spending (and cutting stuff if it were possible) with all proceeds being thrown at the national debt, as well as a temporary (Dems always have a problem with this one which is why my proposal scares me) $.50 per gallong gas tax that goes DIRECTLY to paying down the debt.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,029,812 times
Quote:
Here is some data:
What? Only one reference? And you probably printed it. lol

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,135,818 times
Quote:
I agree. I think the whole deal with Fred Thompson (a MODERATE in most ways)
Based on what? What has he stated so far?

Quote:
is that his core values are styrong conservative and he has the voting record to prove it. He is anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, pro-gun, pro-life, anti-tax hikes, anti-pork barrel spending, etc.
Being against abortion and being pro-life are two different things, which might be why you mentioned it twice (though I doubt it). That said, I see very little of a pro-life stance in the GOP. In fact, most of their policies are working against pro-life. If he were a real Republican he wouldn't care what 2 Americans choose to do in their bedroom. Radicals who now control the GOP like the Taliban do. The GOP Congress of the 90's through this decade were heavy on the pork as well.

Quote:
He is also anti-illegal immigration, which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Wow, that makes him have the same basic position as every other candidate, Congressman, and virtually every citizen.

I suppose he is anti-credit theft too?

Quote:
Thompson is a MODERATE on the War on Terror, on Iraq, on healthcare, etc. He is not strong on these issues as much as Romney or Rudy, but Thompson has a better rep with the base of the GOP (and most American independent moderates) than Rudy or Romeny.
Thompsons is supposedly (and I would believe it) gaining support from the fringe extreme base that doesn't care about real issues, but only in creating a wacky theological nation-state.

Quote:
or the hardcore liberal pretending to be a Republican (McCain).
Do you even know the party that you claim to be in?

Quote:
That is why Thompson is gaining momentum.
I still think it's the truck.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
.............I still think it's the truck.
LOL, my thoughts exactly. He's got that goober-chic thing goin on.

~T

Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,791,451 times
Nobody knows what the hell Fred Thompson stands for and people are lining up to vote for him already. Republicans are desperate!

Dude is finding out fast it is a lot easier to sit on the sidelines and chat with Jay Leno then actually have to address the tough issues. He is already flip-flopping on the fair tax bill and gay marriage amendment. I give him about a month before he implodes.

Last edited by bily4; 09-10-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,567,940 times
Fred Thompson:"I'm not really a leader, but I played one on TV."

Given the choice of these two, I will write in Ron Paul.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM

24,506 posts, read 33,286,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well, except that tax cuts in 1981 would effect 1982s balance sheet, no?? So it looks like revenues actually DEcreased after the initial tax cut. In fact, it looks like it took 5 years before tax revenues surpassed 1981's total which could easily be attributed to the MASSIVE economic growth of the 1980s.

Either way, that isn't my point at ALL. That's why I said I DON'T CARE. Yes, we need to lower spending as well, but getting a Dem controlled congress to axe unnecessary social programs is a difficult task.

IOW, I don't give a frog's fat arse how we increase tax revenue, but we need to in a MAJOR way without adding another dime in spending (and cutting stuff if it were possible) with all proceeds being thrown at the national debt, as well as a temporary (Dems always have a problem with this one which is why my proposal scares me) $.50 per gallong gas tax that goes DIRECTLY to paying down the debt.
The first tax cuts were phased in from 1981 to 1983 and as can be seen on the chart, by 1984 revenues were up. Then, after the 1986 tax cut, revenues went up year by year for 1987, 1988 and 1989.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,288,567 times
Quote:
The first tax cuts were phased in from 1981 to 1983 and as can be seen on the chart, by 1984 revenues were up. Then, after the 1986 tax cut, revenues went up year by year for 1987, 1988 and 1989.
Okay..... whatever...... Stop side-tracking my point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections