U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM

5,527 posts, read 8,774,016 times

Advertisements

I am not a Romney fan. Nor Santorum or anyone other than the views of the artist formerly known as Ron Paul (some things have changed since 2007) but this is why the popular vote should be the ONLY way to win:

The man lost in a popular landslide but TIED in delegates. In sports terms that's like a sports team losing a game yet it not effect their ranking, league standings or even effect their chances of getting to the playoffs.

Why vote if the less popular candidate has a chance to win? WTF is up with this?

Oh yeah........DUMP THE TWO PARTY SYSTEM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM

180 posts, read 148,128 times
I agree!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM

2,698 posts, read 3,782,538 times
Uh no.

The system is okay but what they really need to do is stop the winner take all.

If it's 70/30 the winner should get 70% of the delegates and the "loser" 30%. No more of this dominating states with boatloads of delegates.

I can't remember which few small states do it but THAT should be the way to go. The way is is now, when you know for sure you're state bleeds one color what's the point of voting when you know your vote is not going to matter because it's winner take all?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,607,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Uh no.

The system is okay but what they really need to do is stop the winner take all.

If it's 70/30 the winner should get 70% of the delegates and the "loser" 30%. No more of this dominating states with boatloads of delegates.

I can't remember which few small states do it but THAT should be the way to go. The way is is now, when you know for sure you're state bleeds one color what's the point of voting when you know your vote is not going to matter because it's winner take all?
Nebraska and Maine, but they rarely split their votes. 2008 was an exception, with Obama winning NE-2 (which includes Omaha) for 1 electoral college vote, and McCain winning NE-1, NE-3, and the statewide vote for 4 electoral college votes.

But sometimes the popular vote winner differs from the winner of the most Congressional districts. By that method, the 1960 and 2000 elections would have gone to the popular vote loser (as did the latter under the current method) and the 1976 election would have been a tie (and presumably the House delegations would have elected Carter). I don't know how any pre-1960 elections might have been affected by such a systems.

Of course, states which wanted to retain their all-or-nothing clout could conceivably get rid of their districts Congressional districts to circumvent the intent of the change.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM

27,817 posts, read 37,852,315 times
The "crime" yesterday was not that Santorum got half of the delegates in Michigan. Afterall the vote was extremely close and not a landslide. The crime was that Romney got ALL the delegates in Arizona even though a majority of voters preferred someone other than Romney.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The "crime" yesterday was not that Santorum got half of the delegates in Michigan. Afterall the vote was extremely close and not a landslide. The crime was that Romney got ALL the delegates in Arizona even though a majority of voters preferred someone other than Romney.
That's our first-past-the-post system. Actually, GOP party rules prohibited any states voting before April 1st from allocating delegates that way. Arizona, as well as Florida and a few upcoming states, ignored the rule.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM

27,817 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
That's our first-past-the-post system. Actually, GOP party rules prohibited any states voting before April 1st from allocating delegates that way. Arizona, as well as Florida and a few upcoming states, ignored the rule.
I heard AZ lost half its delegates as well. As an Indie, it also bothers me that taxpayers have to pick up the bill for these primaries, particularly when the parties get to make up the rules on when they will be and how delegates will be awarded - often undemocratically.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I heard AZ lost half its delegates as well. As an Indie, it also bothers me that taxpayers have to pick up the bill for these primaries, particularly when the parties get to make up the rules on when they will be and how delegates will be awarded - often undemocratically.
AZ lost half its delegates for scheduling the primary before March 6 -- GOP rules state that only IA, NH, NV and SC are allowed to do so. AZ's winner-take-all allocation before April 1 is yet another violation.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM

60,085 posts, read 30,599,526 times
My take is: If you get 50% or more of the popular vote, you get that states delegates, If you don't get 50% those delegates get fought for.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM

1,347 posts, read 895,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My take is: If you get 50% or more of the popular vote, you get that states delegates, If you don't get 50% those delegates get fought for.
That's not bad, I could go with that.

Keep in mind these reforms would be up to the individual political party. The system is certainly unfair and the blame falls on the GOP. If I were in charge, I would bind all delegates in every state to the national popular vote. Each state could still conduct it's primary however/whenever it wants within any other confines the party may establish. I don't think this infringes on state's rights since the GOP is not the US, it is a private organization and can make any rules it wants with regards to how it picks a candidate to run for president. Same goes for the Democratic Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or