Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

All the cable news networks are locked in a cobra-mongoose fight for ratings. Ratings equals eyeballs, and eyes equal advertisers.

The entire cable industry is hurting; there are too many channels, cable is more expensive than in the past, and cable fees don't pay the bills like they used to. Cable viewers are bombarded with as much advertising as on free TV. Folks are getting the same content on the net with less frequent and intrusive advertising. Advertisers are going to the net for viewership.

Where do the news channels fit into all that?
They all have a major case of the hurts. The news biz ain't what it used to be, especially on cable.
News is a high-cost operation if it's done like it was in the past. CNN once had foreign bureaus, as did all the majors and the big newspapers. The news industry once had stringer organizations all over the country in addition to their foreign reporters, so when the news was slow someplace, there was always some hot spot or other that could cover a slow week.

All that is gone now. Cable news is especially vulnerable because they have a lot of time to fill, and now, with so many empty talking heads parroting the same stuff, the viewers are more fickle than ever. Continuing to play to a shrinking base is a losing proposition, so as the viewers go, so does the news.

As much as conservatives hate it, the U.S. is steadily becoming more center-left than center-right.
MSNBC caught on to this shift early on, because they were steadily at the bottom of the ratings, and were doing the most viewership testing of the bunch. In the 90's, they aimed directly at the conservatives, but could not bust the Fox stronghold on that segment, so they switched to where there was a void in 2000, and it paid off big time for them.

Does MSNBC have a liberal slant? Hell, yeah it does! It's making them money! They have no need to suck up to the Democrats now, because they already had them for quite a while. There is no conspiracy to this- it's just obviously good economics for MSNBC.

Ailes also knows all about the shift, and that's why he has steadily directed Fox to a more neutral news position for over a year now. Conservatives are faithful, but they don't spend the money and money pays the bills. Liberals switch channels more often, but they buy more of the stuff the advertisers are selling.

Don't expect any news organization to ever be completely objective and neutral. They never have been, and never will be. All will go where the advertisers want them to go, and when money is tight, they will bend in whatever direction that pays the best. Fox's website is more neutral than it's cable broadcast now because it has more net viewers than cable viewers.

What is the most interesting to me is PBS' news shows and news discussion shows have bigger viewerships than any of the cable operations, and most dedicated news viewers consider PBS news to be the most accurate and neutral of the entire bunch. It is also the only news that goes into depth and detail on current events nightly, and the only news that has an hour-long format.

But all this is changing fast. in a few years, the iPhone will be the major delivery system. All broadcast or cable outfits will be playing catch-up once again.

Last edited by banjomike; 03-02-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Yeah their talking heads can be just as obnoxious as MSNBC's(outside of Ed Schultz, that pompous windbag is in a class all by himself)
Fox's talking heads are generally more obnoxious. The MSNBC hosts spin and the stories they choose to talk about are based on pushing a particular agenda, but the hosts and guests on Fox angrily deliver flat out lies directly to the camera on a routine basis, aided by a small army of people behind the scenes who spend their time making plots of fake data, falsely labeling poll results, and habitually misidentifying Republicans as Democrats when they get in trouble.

But yeah, Ed Schultz is a piece of work. It's not clear to me why anyone would watch him. If I wanted to be outraged, lied to, and listen to a fat man yell about nothing in particular, I'd listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fox's talking heads are generally more obnoxious. The MSNBC hosts spin and the stories they choose to talk about are based on pushing a particular agenda, but the hosts and guests on Fox angrily deliver flat out lies directly to the camera on a routine basis, aided by a small army of people behind the scenes who spend their time making plots of fake data, falsely labeling poll results, and habitually misidentifying Republicans as Democrats when they get in trouble.

But yeah, Ed Schultz is a piece of work. It's not clear to me why anyone would watch him. If I wanted to be outraged, lied to, and listen to a fat man yell about nothing in particular, I'd listen to Rush Limbaugh.
Ed and Rush should be the first people sent to colonize Newt's moonbase.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
That's probably the strongest argument for Newt being elected yet. Perhaps he should fold that into his campaign.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Now can somebody please give us a 0 Dem 0 GOP, unbiased, report the news without reinterpreting it for your party of choice news network??? Please???
Try Al Jazeera English Edition.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times
You're certainly living up to your name, OP.

Put it in perspective: Bill O'Reilley, far and away the top rated of all of these shows, draws about 2.7 million viewers a night. 132 million voters cast ballots in 2008. There you go.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I never under this arguement. It is well known, MSNBC leans to the left and Fox news leans to the right. Why do people try to prove who is more balanced? I'm a Democrat, if I want to watch politcal news, I will watch Msnbc, and if I was a republican, I would watch Fox news. What is so wrong about that? As long as you know what side each station is on, I see no reason to rip the other side. I know that Democrats and Republicans can't agree on anything, but I atleast thought we could have common ground on this issue.
I explained it to you in the previous post & you can't understand it!

Apparently you can't spell either.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
CNN is actually very fair, if anything lean slightly right. A more accurate assessment would be:

MSNBC - 65 for the Democrats
Fox News - 99 for the Republicans
CNN - 5 for the Republicans
Ted Turners CNN absolutely does not lean right!

Ted Turner was married to the left-wing princess Jane Fonda for crying out loud!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
MSNBC is a Tax Payer Funded Democrat Political Campaign Network

On December 9, 2009 MSNBC's (The Ed Show) host Ed Schultz admitted:
MSNBC's Ed Schultz:
TALK ABOUT A MEDIA OUTLET CAMPAIGNING FOR A PARTY CANDIDATE. I BET THESE SO CALLED NEWS CAST ARE NOT COUNTED AS CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS FROM GE OR NBC. IT IS ALSO A FACT THAT OBAMACRATS PAID GE/NBC TARP & STIMULUS FROM US TAX PAYERS TO TELL LIES & CAMPAIGN FOR THEM.
BAIN CAPITAL owns Clear Channel Radio....who "own" Limbaugh...Hannity.......Glenn Beck and other wingnut radio "pundits"...I mean IDIOTS.

And Rupert Murdoch...Arch Crook Conservative owns FOX NEWS(Propaganda arm of GOP)...Still want to debate?????

Follow The Money – Bain Capital Owns Most Conservative And Some Liberal Radio Stations | Addicting Info

Bain Capital Owns Clear Channel (Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Etc.)

Glenn Beck, Limbaugh, and Hannity – Manna from Heaven? « The Story Behind The Story

News talk stations owned by Clear Channel usually have a standard slate of hosts. The morning show is usually local, with other timeslots filled by local and syndicated hosts. Programs that appear on many Clear Channel talk stations include the Glenn Beck Program -- getting his talk show start at Clear Channel owned WFLA (AM) in Tampa, The Rush Limbaugh Show, The Sean Hannity Show, America Now with Andy Dean and Coast to Coast AMwith George Noory, all of which are affiliated with Premiere Radio Networks in some fashion. The Savage Nation (which was until September 2009 flagshipped at Clear Channel's KNEW-910), The Mark Levin Show and The Dave Ramsey Show are non-Premiere shows who air on many (if not most) Clear Channel stations. Limbaugh is almost universally carried on Clear Channel stations in markets where the company has a news talk station (there were some exceptions, although the last was eliminated in late 2011). New Clear Channel talk radio stations have typically been using the branding "Rush Radio," while most older ones use a more generic "News Radio" or "News Talk."

Almost all of Clear Channel's primary talk stations are affiliated with Fox News Radio for national news, part of a multi-year deal between Clear Channel and Fox.

Fox Entertainment Group is an American entertainment industry company that owns film studios and terrestrial, cable, and direct broadcast satellite television properties. Fox Entertainment Group is wholly owned and controlled by the Australian/American media conglomerate News Corporation, which is chaired and part owned by the Australian/American Rupert Murdoch, since the company acquired all the stock of Fox. The transaction was completed on March 12, 2005.

Sky's The Limit - Murdoch empire (OWNs FOX NEWS) on verge of collapse - WHO DID HE UPSET? - YouTube

Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
BAIN CAPITAL owns Clear Channel Radio....who "own" Limbaugh...Hannity.......Glenn Beck and other wingnut radio "pundits"...I mean IDIOTS.

And Rupert Murdoch...Arch Crook Conservative owns FOX NEWS(Propaganda arm of GOP)...Still want to debate?????
Did Rupert Murdoch or Bain Capital take tax payer government money?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections