Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,456 times

Advertisements

Santorum: Romney uses teleprompters, I don't - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - Many Republican candidates make barbed jokes about President Obama's use of a teleprompter. But Rick Santorum seemed to repurpose the jab Sunday to target rival Mitt Romney, who sometimes uses a teleprompter for speeches on election nights and other occasions.

"I never have to worry about what I say because I will say what's on my heart. I might not say it the most articulate sometimes and I understand that, but I have no teleprompters. I answer questions," Santorum told an audience at a nightclub here. "I answer questions from the public in front of cameras. I answer questions from the press every day. I don't hide. I don't hide from the public. I don't have structured events where only my friends are in front of me to take questions."

hypocrisy at its finest, Republicans criticize obama for using a teleprompter, but their front runner does as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - Many Republican candidates make barbed jokes about President Obama's use of a teleprompter. But Rick Santorum seemed to repurpose the jab Sunday to target rival Mitt Romney, who sometimes uses a teleprompter for speeches on election nights and other occasions.

"I never have to worry about what I say because I will say what's on my heart. I might not say it the most articulate sometimes and I understand that, but I have no teleprompters. I answer questions," Santorum told an audience at a nightclub here. "I answer questions from the public in front of cameras. I answer questions from the press every day. I don't hide. I don't hide from the public. I don't have structured events where only my friends are in front of me to take questions."

hypocrisy at its finest, Republicans criticize obama for using a teleprompter, but their front runner does as well
Yeah, well that is different, cuz, well you know, just cuz. Umm,

Can I get back to you after Limbaugh or Beck spins, I mean addresses this topic??

Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Yet another similarity with Obama. How can anyone that supports Obama criticize Romney? Aside from the letter following their name and their differences in skin color (which should not matter to "enlightened" liberals) there's not a nickel's worth of difference between them.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Yet another similarity with Obama. How can anyone that supports Obama criticize Romney? Aside from the letter following their name and their differences in skin color (which should not matter to "enlightened" liberals) there's not a nickel's worth of difference between them.
How can anyone who votes GOP this November criticize Obama?

Wasn't that the point of the OP?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post

most politicians do use them from time to time, but some are more skilled at it than others. Comments were made about Bush and how badly he needed to learn to use them. Clinton seemed to either not use them or was very skilled at using them and I know for a fact Reagan did not, but that being said, most do

Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
How can anyone who votes GOP this November criticize Obama?

Wasn't that the point of the OP?
How can anyone that votes for a mainstream party criticize anyone? Both parties and their moronic supporters that think the party affiliation of the candidate means anything with regard to their actual beliefs and positions on important issues suck.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

The same argument was made regarding Al Gore and George W. Bush; I have several friends who voted for Nader because they believed that. One can, with the benefit of hindsight, make the observation that life would be very different today had those voters gone with Gore. The 9-11 attack might have been averted, as Gore would have paid attention to the security warnings compiled by the Clinton administration. We'd have a much more robust green energy strategy. Our international image would not have been tainted by the unwarranted invasion of Iraq based on lies. The economy would be healthier, as Gore wouldn't have squandered billions on "nation building" in the Middle East. Last but by no means least, there would have been no loss of American lives or the huge numbers of those maimed by IEDs. Hypothetical statements, but worthy of consideration. It makes little difference if a candidate uses a teleprompter;
Reagan used them to great advantage.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Yeah, well that is different, cuz, well you know, just cuz. Umm,

Can I get back to you after Limbaugh or Beck spins, I mean addresses this topic??
Teleprompter go out?

Seriously, I don't think either side should have an issue with anyone using them.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
most politicians do use them from time to time, but some are more skilled at it than others. Comments were made about Bush and how badly he needed to learn to use them. Clinton seemed to either not use them or was very skilled at using them and I know for a fact Reagan did not, but that being said, most do
A fact eh? Whatever. Another myth about your idol Reagan. He used teleprompters. Google is your friend.

The Truth About Presidents And Teleprompters - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Reagan Teleprompter | President Left Speechless by TelePrompTer - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Virtually all national politicians use teleprompters once in awhile.

Obama was absolutely fawned over for being a great speaker that could mesmerize crowds with his genius...when he in fact overly relies on teleprompters to read a speech that someone else wrote. That is where the jokes come from and it is a fair critique given the praise he received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections