U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,119,175 times

Advertisements

"Our experience also demonstrates that getting every citizen insured doesn't have to break the bank. First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar. Second, we helped pay for our new program by ending an old one — something government should do more often. The federal government sends an estimated $42 billion to hospitals that care for the poor: Use those funds instead to help the poor buy private insurance, as we did."

Mit Romney Op-Ed USAToday July 30, 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...n30_st.art.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 8,791,750 times
One of my biggest criticisms of Obamacare is the mandates.

Thanks for nothing Romney

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,742,543 times
Hey, I think you should search before you post since there's a 4 page long thread about this on the main page here already.

Quote:
One of my biggest criticisms of Obamacare is the mandates.
Notice how there's no other proposals on the table that fill the coverage gap? There's a reason why. There's no way around the mandates.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,867,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Our experience also demonstrates that getting every citizen insured doesn't have to break the bank. First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar. Second, we helped pay for our new program by ending an old one — something government should do more often. The federal government sends an estimated $42 billion to hospitals that care for the poor: Use those funds instead to help the poor buy private insurance, as we did."

Mit Romney Op-Ed USAToday July 30, 2009.

USATODAY.com

No where in that piece did Romney recommend a federal mandate to Obama. You should read the material before just copying and pasting it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 20,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
No where in that piece did Romney recommend a federal mandate to Obama. You should read the material before just copying and pasting it.
No difference between a state and federal mandate. Plus, Romney has said numerous times Romneycare would be a great model nationwide, was even in his first book.

The question is do you want the government at a state or federal level to mandate you to do something?

Apparently you do if your ok with Romney and Romneycare.

Romney is just another big government politician like the rest of them.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,119,175 times
Quote:
Wait, you tell me I should read and you still don't understand what

"First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did,"

You don't have insurance you a tax penalty, and you think that isn't a mandate?

Jesus, Joseph and Mary

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM

4,088 posts, read 3,694,803 times
Quote:
Yeah, Ovcatto! Romney didn't say "mandate"- he said "blan-date". That's totally different!

Seriously Dixie. If by some fluke this weirdo gets elected, are you going to run around on this board with windex and paper towels for four years, cleaning up after him every time he's caught lying? That's what I've concluded about Romney- he's a serial liar.

If so, you are going to be busy...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

1,347 posts, read 923,689 times
Oh boy. Read this guys. I know it's a biased source but they link to independent sources to back up everything they say. I don't think I could make the case better myself, so I'm gonna send you their way.
A Response to the Current Buzz Over Romney’s 2009 Op-ed on Health Care – A Liberal Buzzkill | Mitt Romney Central
Everything you are saying is wrong. In Mitt Romney's book, he explicitly said he thought each state should decide for themselves. Cut the "no difference between a federal/state mandate" crap. Most people I know who complain about the federal mandate complain about it's constitutionality. That is a problem that doesn't exist at the state level. I have never heard a policy argument against the mandate.

Romney said EXPLICITLY in his book and in interviews in 2007 (long before Obamacare was thought up) that he thought the federal government should stay out of healthcare. He has never changed that stance. When he wrote this op-ed, it was within the context that the resident was going to pass a healthcare bill, and he wanted to make sure he did the lest damage possible.

Furthermore, considering Romney's consistent stance that a federal mandate would be bad, and his consistent position that "what works for MA won't necessarily work everywhere else, and it won't work on a federal level," combined with the tone of this article and the way it is written, I see no evidence that Mr. ROmney is suggesting the president implemetn a mandate. Read the article. He explains what he did in Massachussets, and how that worked for Massachusetts. It doesn't anywhere say he expects Obama to do exactly that. This piece, written by Romney around the same time, further clarifies that he thinks the federal government should allow states to decide what works best for them.
Government Can't Solve Our Health Care Problems - The Daily Beast

I don't expect some of you to care what dixie and I have to say. If you're a Romney hater, no amount of evidence can amount to more than spin to you guys. But please, do your own research, seek out evidence to back up what you're saying. Don't just follow the agenda the MSM is pushing. I think you would be surprised at Romney's convictions and consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or