U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,660,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
so can i file for joint taxes with my goldfish?how about this get the hell out of marriage and perks for married couples and people would stop complaining about this non issue.

GO BACK TO DEALING with REAL problems like the economy you dimwit politicians.
Uh huh.

Because your goldfish is a person and can legally enter into bilateral contracts ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM

71,727 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This article is about twenty-two United States senators who want to add marriage equality to the Democratic platform.

EXCLUSIVE: 22 U.S. senators call for marriage equality plank in Dem platform | Washington Blade - America's Leading Gay News Source

It's about time !
just out of curiosity is this your main platform, gays versus straights? Many of us want equal rights for everyone but we are not obsessed with one issue.
There are so many issues that need our attention, social issues really are not among them and most should be left to the states or not political period.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM

18,978 posts, read 15,446,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just out of curiosity is this your main platform, gays versus straights? Many of us want equal rights for everyone but we are not obsessed with one issue.
How is fighting for equality = gays vs straights??

Now wanting to Amend the Constitution to deny equality, THAT is gays vs straights.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM

71,727 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How is fighting for equality = gays vs straights??

Now wanting to Amend the Constitution to deny equality, THAT is gays vs straights.
my point and I know you follow this forum as closely as I do, is some people seem to be totally hung up on one issue. My wording may have been wrong, but the point is sitll very clear..

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my point and I know you follow this forum as closely as I do, is some people seem to be totally hung up on one issue. My wording may have been wrong, but the point is sitll very clear..
When you have those running for high office who want to write discrimination into the Constitution I think I can understand why some people might be "hung up" on it.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,660,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
When you have those running for high office who want to write discrimination into the Constitution I think I can understand why some people might be "hung up" on it.
My Gawd, but some people do get so, like, totally hung up on every little thing, like, civil rights and equality, man .......

On a more serious note, I've dropped an e-mail to one of my Senators (Klobuchar) enquiring as to why she is not listed amongst the 22. I was surprised that she is not.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM

16,709 posts, read 9,077,007 times
I would respect Obama more if he would get off the fence on the issue. He says things that both sides want to hear so both sides think he is on their side. 'I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I stand up for gay rights and my opinion is evolving.' Come on Obama...get some guts.

Disclosure: I am for gay marriage being legal...smaller government interference in 2 adult's lives.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
My Gawd, but some people do get so, like, totally hung up on every little thing, like, civil rights and equality, man .......

On a more serious note, I've dropped an e-mail to one of my Senators (Klobuchar) enquiring as to why she is not listed amongst the 22. I was surprised that she is not.
Looks like this is just a starting point, seems like more support it, but have yet to be contacted (Leahy), likely others as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 PM

1,347 posts, read 921,652 times
It's incredible how rapidly public opinion has shifted on this issue. It looks like it will be brought to voter referendum in Maryland (it's part of our constitution that any non-appropriations bill can be petitioned to be brought to referendum). Most public opinion polls on the issue suggest it should pass. And we are very close to being a majority-minority state (I only point this out because many suggest it was certain Democratic-leaning minority groups in California that helped proposition 8 to prevail there). I will likely vote for it. That would make us the first state to pass it electorally.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
It's incredible how rapidly public opinion has shifted on this issue. It looks like it will be brought to voter referendum in Maryland (it's part of our constitution that any non-appropriations bill can be petitioned to be brought to referendum). Most public opinion polls on the issue suggest it should pass. And we are very close to being a majority-minority state (I only point this out because many suggest it was certain Democratic-leaning minority groups in California that helped proposition 8 to prevail there). I will likely vote for it. That would make us the first state to pass it electorally.
Don't get complacent. Just because it should pass doesn't mean it will. Once hate groups like NOM descend on the state, they just might be able to edge turnout in their favor.

We're at a tipping point right now. A majority supports marriage equality, but it's close enough that the anti-equality crowd can still prevail by spending massive amounts of cash on ridiculous ads to get people out to the polls. Their tactics are only going to get more extreme. These people are not idiots. They see the writing on the wall and know that they have a limited amount of time before they're unable to drum up enough hate to get their agenda enacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or