U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,812,788 times

Advertisements

Spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,005,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am interested in getting feedback on this from Ron Paul supporters please let me know what you think.

In the interest of full disclosure I am a Democrat who will vote for Obama. With that said...

I think I understand the folks who say they will write in Paul on election day. At first I thought that was kind of odd since it is highly unlikely Paul will win the general election that way, and that vote could possibly be a spoiler, but then it started making sense. The main argument to vote for a Republican, or perhaps a Democrat as a Paul supporter is to back the "lesser of two evils." However if you are a person who truly subscribes to Paul's views about eliminating a big federal government then that seems to be a misnomer. Really you would be voting for the different of "two evils." Paul's anti-big government message is indeed about reducing/eliminating entitlements and lowering taxes like the other GOP candidates, but equally important to Paul's anti-big government message is about ending the war on drugs/eliminating morality laws, and abandoning the neo-conservative foreign policy agenda. These are things Democrats and Liberals tend to favor, or at least are more open to.

So basically for someone who is honestly very close to Paul ideologically asking them to vote for the major parties is like asking them to decide what kind of big government they would rather have. Thus it makes sense to me why a Paul supporter would say none of the above.

Does this sound right?
Just so ya know the facts, Paul does not want to end the war on drugs or eliminate morality laws, he just wants the State Government to do it instead of the Federal Government. The devil is in the details.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

66,196 posts, read 33,604,999 times
Quote:
I am interested in getting feedback on this from Ron Paul supporters please let me know what you think.

In the interest of full disclosure I am a Democrat who will vote for Obama. With that said...

I think I understand the folks who say they will write in Paul on election day. At first I thought that was kind of odd since it is highly unlikely Paul will win the general election that way, and that vote could possibly be a spoiler, but then it started making sense. The main argument to vote for a Republican, or perhaps a Democrat as a Paul supporter is to back the "lesser of two evils." However if you are a person who truly subscribes to Paul's views about eliminating a big federal government then that seems to be a misnomer. Really you would be voting for the different of "two evils." Paul's anti-big government message is indeed about reducing/eliminating entitlements and lowering taxes like the other GOP candidates, but equally important to Paul's anti-big government message is about ending the war on drugs/eliminating morality laws, and abandoning the neo-conservative foreign policy agenda. These are things Democrats and Liberals tend to favor, or at least are more open to.

So basically for someone who is honestly very close to Paul ideologically asking them to vote for the major parties is like asking them to decide what kind of big government they would rather have. Thus it makes sense to me why a Paul supporter would say none of the above.

Does this sound right?

A vote for anyone but Ron Paul, is a vote against our US Constitution. Leading to a Crony Capitalistic Global Fascist society. To hell with the USA.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,723,530 times
If Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination (and I don't think he will, at this point), I will be voting Libertarian again.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 513 times
Quote:

Does this sound right?
Ron Paul is on the right track, but what he wishes to implement is a huge paradigm shift in how the USA works. I agree with his ideas, and I have never considered myself a Rep, but he is very frightening to the existing power structure. I really don't believe that the two party system in the states really exists, other than in name. Big business runs the show, which is why MSM doesn't give him the time of day.

Last edited by AliciaAnnesi; 03-05-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just so ya know the facts, Paul does not want to end the war on drugs or eliminate morality laws, he just wants the State Government to do it instead of the Federal Government. The devil is in the details.

Or even more localized...

Ever hear of dry counties?

Where the people of the county, vote not to allow the sale of alcohol.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,005,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Always thought it was a dumb idea, especially when one can buy alcohol on one side of street and not the other. No thanks, I am against stupidity.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Always thought it was a dumb idea, especially when one can buy alcohol on one side of street and not the other. No thanks, I am against stupidity.

The more local the dumb decisions, the more choice you have to find that place to call home.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM

71,703 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

We live in one: we did in Texas as well and I am sure Casper has heard of them many times Now there is a move to pass a bill to repeal the stupid idea. In Texas, we lived in a town that was dry but right next door was wet. Not only did we go to the next town (about 3 blocks away) to buy our booze, we did our grocery shopping as well. What a loss of tax dollars. Here we actually go to another state cause it is only a 10 minute drive.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,178,980 times
Quote:

Does this sound right?
I'm torn on the matter myself. On the one hand, I'm not really thrilled about any other candidate. On the other hand, Obama has been such a disappointment and I want to be rid of him.

On the 20th of this month, Illinois votes for GOP nominee. I will happily go and cast my vote for someone I do not consider "the lesser of two evils" for the first time ever. After that? Well on the one hand, Obama won't lose Illinois so I may have the luxury of voting for whoever I want. So I might write-in Ron Paul. But unless Paul formally runs Libertarian or Independent, it's more likely that I'll vote for the GOP nominee. If he's not actually running then me voting for him kinda comes across as me telling him what to do. And even if there is the slightest chance of beating Obama in his home state, I want to be part of booting him out of the White House. A lot of that has to do with having voted for Obama in 2008 and having felt tremendous buyers remorse ever since. I feel like somebody sold me the Brooklyn Bridge and I was dumb enough to fall for it.

The biggest mistake most folks make about RP is assuming that all of his supporters would have voted Republican if there was no Ron Paul. Many would have not voted at all. A very large portion would have voted Obama. A decent number were Libertarians to begin with. In an alternate universe where Ron Paul ceases to exist and never existed, the sizable majority Ron Paul voters would not have voted Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or